SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Dillon press or?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon press or? Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
I’ve been reloading for 29-30 years, started with a Dillon 550, then about 5 years later my wife got me another 550 for Christmas … one for small and one for large primers. I’m thinking about adding a 3rd machine for 9mm only and I’m wondering if I should get a Square-Deal or what else I should consider.

My small primer machine had been pretty much dedicated to 223/5.56 and unlike my large primer machine which is for 45/308/8mm and most recently 6.5 Creedmoor, they all use the same shell plate, in fact that plate has never been changed in the 25 years I’ve had it; which is nice because getting the tension just right on the indexer on the small primer machine has been somewhat of a PITA. I don’t know if I’ve lost a shim/spacer that fits under the indexer bolt or what. If I get it too tight (just a bit more than finger tight) it binds the indexer and if too loose, then things don’t always line up right and I either damage the shell in stage 1 (the de-prime station), or I have to wiggle it so everything does line up.

Anyway, my Dillons have both given me decades of trouble free service, and I’ve never needed their “No BS Warranty” but I’m open to suggestions as this isn’t a situation I’m going to tolerate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I would never get a Square Deal B if I were you and the reason is the proprietary dies.

If you decide to change calibers later on, you can't use any dies but Dillon Square Deal B dies.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t know if I’ve lost a shim/spacer that fits under the indexer bolt or what. If I get it too tight (just a bit more than finger tight) it binds the indexer and if too loose, then things don’t always line up right and I either damage the shell in stage 1 (the de-prime station), or I have to wiggle it so everything does line up.

Replace the spring under the ball bearing, and that should stop the indexing problem

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KimberKid - As a fellow multi Dillon press owner (2 - RL1100’s and 2 - 650’s - one of the RL’s belongs to my son) I would recommend you purchase another 550.

Think about it - You have all of the caliber conversion systems in hand, extra toolheads, and dies. If your current small primer 550 has a case-feeder on it today you could position the new 550 close enough to use the same case-feeder, only having to move the feed tube and change out the case feed plate..

You know everything there is to know about the 550 unit so why not leverage that knowledge and experience. Just my thoughts as I sold my 550 to purchase a second 650 several years back specifically for this reason and I have not regretted my decision one bit.

Posts: 3236 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KimberKid - Forgot to mention as I scan the on-line selling sites almost daily (Especially GunBroker) - because primer prices continue to be so high I am seeing more and more complete Dillon systems being put up for sale. Keep an eye out on your local buy/sell/trade sites also. Recently a fellow gun club member sold his entire reloading room (loader was a Lee Progressive) as a complete package for about $.40 on the dollar.

Posts: 3236 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started reloading on a Dillon 450, and eventually upgraded the powder measure and priming system. The LGS had a Square Deal(used) in 9mm I purchased for $200, and used for several years(wanted to keep the SDB for small primers, 450 for large primers). Sent the SDB back to Dillon twice for mechanical problems, once for primer feed, and the second for a major overhaul, all at no cost to me. Dillon customer Service is excellent! I then added the 40S&W conversion kit, and yes the dies are proprietary, and converting is a real PITA!

But I found out that I can load slightly faster on the 450/550 platform, so I got another 550, and am very happy with the setup. Switching calibers is much easier, and less frustrating with the 550. If you are sure you only want the SDB for one caliber, and won’t change you mind, then the Square Deal will work. But it sounds like you already have the dies,etc. for 9mm, so you are ready to load with the 550.

As you can guess, I would recommend getting the 550 if you want a press just set up for 9mm, or, since you already have a 550 for large and small primers, save the money and buy another gun or a box or two of primers! Now I have to figure out what to do with my SDB.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Probably not what you are looking for, but the Area 419 ZERO Reloading Press is very impressive to say the least. Sorry about the pic size, I just highjacked it from their web site.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Once again the SiG brain trust hits a home run!

The easiest solution of buying a third 550 was staring me right in the face, and it never crossed my mind, it just makes so much sense! (although I didn’t realize the Square Deal dies were proprietary)

imfrogman; thanks for the suggestion I’ll give Dillon CS a call and order that spring!

Now, the hunt for a gently used pre-owned 550 begins!

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
Probably not what you are looking for, but the Area 419 ZERO Reloading Press is very impressive to say the least. Sorry about the pic size, I just highjacked it from their web site.

<snip, pic removed>

Do you have any personal experience with the 419? With a price tag of $1275 for the press, I think there is zero chance I’ll try one and instead I’ll stay with a known product … unless they want to donate it in exchange for an honest review!

I suppose if I was competing and in the mone0there might be a chance, of course if I was that good, I’d probably be shooting factory ammo, not loading my own!

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I change around to much to have a progressive for everything. I have my turret type press, then added a singe-stage Redding a year or two ago.

I could be loading 45-70 one day, then set up for 38 spcl the next.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
That Aero looks good, but I don't know if it's four times nicer than a Redding T-7.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 3rd 550 is wise avenue. Why add another product with different tool requirements? Stick with what you have. And buff a dedicated 550 with better dies? And then kick back and enjoy.

Posts: 9 | Registered: July 21, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Likely used 650.

A no brained for 9 mm.

Posts: 39 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are only going to load 9mm on a SDB, what does it matter if the dies are "proprietary?" They are included, load and go.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have been running two 550's for many decades.There are parts that do wear.
there is one spring under the priming station that needs replacing about every 20 k rounds as it weakens,The spring under the detent ball bearing gets crud under the ball and should be taken out and cleaned,I reinstall with a light dab of Vaseline.
The guide plate [blue steel] does get scuffed and gets stickie.
Dillon has over the years replaced these for me promptly and fast and free.
These two presses have been trouble free other than the couple of before mention items with tens of thousands of rounds

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
If you are only going to load 9mm on a SDB, what does it matter if the dies are "proprietary?" They are included, load and go.

This. After all, the Square Deal is superior for pistol calibers with the short travel.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:

Because while I've met a bunch of people who "were only going to load one caliber" virtually everyone of them decided to expand out to more calibers after some amount of time reloading and then they run up against the proprietary dies.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
A Dillon 650 or 750 is my vote. I started on a 650 and ended up with an 1100.

For a dedicated single caliber machine, I like the auto index and easier ability to add a bullet feeder and case feeder of the 650/750.

If you can find a deal on a 1050 or 1100, I’d seriously consider it. The priming on the down stroke is amazing as is the swage station.

Dillion will also rebuild your 550’s for a small fee and they’ll be like new.

For your indexing, I like a few things:
Thrust bearing setup under the shell plate bolt
A Delrin ball and spring kit
Slip 2000 EWG grease

Something like this kit: https://lvl10i.com/collections...ocket-for-dillon-550

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8336 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
A Dillon 650 or 750 is my vote. I started on a 650 and ended up with an 1100.

For a dedicated single caliber machine, I like the auto index and easier ability to add a bullet feeder and case feeder of the 650/750.

If you can find a deal on a 1050 or 1100, I’d seriously consider it. The priming on the down stroke is amazing as is the swage station.

<snip>

I’m not sure what model it is, but a guy I worked with has a Dillon with the case & bullet feeders, I’ll see if he can give me a demonstration, but I’m not sure how much room above the press those options would take up … I could take out my case length trimmer or my RCBS single stage but I’m kinda limited on space. I have another bench just like this one but I use it for parts storage, cleaning/building etc. and don’t want to put the new-ish press on the other side of the room, so I’m pretty stuck on a 3rd 550. Plus I’m recently retired so the extra time it takes to use a 550 isn’t that big of a deal.

It’s kind of a mess right now, but this is what I have to work with.

Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Breaking from the Big Blue trend, I really like my LnL AP - it's been really worth the money. Probably a little bit less expensive, but it's been rock solid (compared to my Lee, which was an absolute nightmare that ended up with my CZ getting blown up and a piece of plastic shrapnel in my hand). Indexing has been flawless past a minor adjustment that I had to make early on, and I had some minor issues because I was using the wrong priming bits.

I've been doing just 9mm on it without any real problems (everything else gets single stage treatment because I don't want to deal with extruded powder in a powder measure and because I seat with an arbor press), but I recently got set up for 223, both for case prep and ammo production. I have yet to test fire my first batch but I'm not expecting much of an issue. I'll be readdressing it in a couple of weeks anyway when I finally get the proper bushings for my LE Wilson FL bushing sizer.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post