SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Enlarged Flash Holes in 45 ACP Brass
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enlarged Flash Holes in 45 ACP Brass Login/Join 
posted
Anyone know why one would enlarge flash holes using a drill bit on the inside of the case? I bought a bunch of 45 ACP brass and found that the flash holes had been enlarged. It is large primer brass. Anyone ever see this before?

Thanks for any help

Posts: 26 | Location: California | Registered: September 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sndbggr1484:
Anyone know why one would enlarge flash holes using a drill bit on the inside of the case? I bought a bunch of 45 ACP brass and found that the flash holes had been enlarged. It is large primer brass. Anyone ever see this before?

Thanks for any help

Yup. I did it for shooting wax loads years ago. I also did it for shooting plastic bullets.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is very common in 45LC brass to load blanks for old West reenactments.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't this also done on factory lead free ammo?

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdshank:
Wasn't this also done on factory lead free ammo?

I've got a lot of .45 ACP NT (non toxic) cases and they all have standard size flash holes.

They also have small pistol primer pockets and not the standard large pistol used for .45 ACP.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First generation Winclean had large Dinol primers and large flash holes, so the factory product is out there. WW says they are OK to reload.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Man, it's too bad that SAAMI doesn't dictate primer configuration. Ammunition manufacturers seem to be going out of their way to harass 45ACP reloaders.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Yup. I did it for shooting wax loads years ago. I also did it for shooting plastic bullets.

I did the same with some hot glue cast bullets. It was a fun experiment, but I was careful to notch the cases and keep them separate from the rest of my reloading supplies.

Posts: 279 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post