SIGforum
Enlarged Flash Holes in 45 ACP Brass

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/1410015484

August 24, 2021, 11:17 PM
sndbggr1484
Enlarged Flash Holes in 45 ACP Brass
Anyone know why one would enlarge flash holes using a drill bit on the inside of the case? I bought a bunch of 45 ACP brass and found that the flash holes had been enlarged. It is large primer brass. Anyone ever see this before?

Thanks for any help
August 25, 2021, 08:17 AM
Flash-LB
quote:
Originally posted by sndbggr1484:
Anyone know why one would enlarge flash holes using a drill bit on the inside of the case? I bought a bunch of 45 ACP brass and found that the flash holes had been enlarged. It is large primer brass. Anyone ever see this before?

Thanks for any help

Yup. I did it for shooting wax loads years ago. I also did it for shooting plastic bullets.
August 25, 2021, 06:01 PM
GT-40DOC
This is very common in 45LC brass to load blanks for old West reenactments.
August 25, 2021, 07:30 PM
jdshank
Wasn't this also done on factory lead free ammo?
August 26, 2021, 07:35 AM
Flash-LB
quote:
Originally posted by jdshank:
Wasn't this also done on factory lead free ammo?

I've got a lot of .45 ACP NT (non toxic) cases and they all have standard size flash holes.

They also have small pistol primer pockets and not the standard large pistol used for .45 ACP.
August 26, 2021, 05:02 PM
Jim Watson
First generation Winclean had large Dinol primers and large flash holes, so the factory product is out there. WW says they are OK to reload.
August 27, 2021, 02:01 PM
sigcrazy7
Man, it's too bad that SAAMI doesn't dictate primer configuration. Ammunition manufacturers seem to be going out of their way to harass 45ACP reloaders.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
September 04, 2021, 08:39 AM
tp1l
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Yup. I did it for shooting wax loads years ago. I also did it for shooting plastic bullets.

I did the same with some hot glue cast bullets. It was a fun experiment, but I was careful to notch the cases and keep them separate from the rest of my reloading supplies.