SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Lights and Backup Magazines
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lights and Backup Magazines Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I do the same with two wallets, one with a little cash and the other with retired ID, CCW and operators license. My logic is in the event of a robbery give 'em what they want, then give 'em what they deserve.

I always have a second magazine when away from home.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of sig 226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I do the same with two wallets, one with a little cash and the other with retired ID, CCW and operators license. My logic is in the event of a robbery give 'em what they want, then give 'em what they deserve.

Same here.. was taught to keep two separate wallets in case someone got the drop on you and you don't want them to know you are the po po..

Flashlight/knife, and a minimum of one backup mag, usually 2..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2654 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
My logic is in the event of a robbery give 'em what they want, then give 'em what they deserve.

I like that!

I always have a handheld light. Usually stream light micro stream usb. I need to carry a mag more often. Usually mags and Ifak are in the truck.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Whenever I leave the house, I carry at least 1 flashlight, and a EDC knife. If I'm out on a short hop, I usually don't carry a spare mag. (I know ... but I'm not too bright). In the car, I have at least 1 tactical light, at least 1 first aid kit, a T/Q, and spare mags. When I go to work in Lower Manhattan, my Go bag, actually my get-me-home-safe bag has everything I may need.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
For EDC I always carry 2 spare mags, knife, 2 wallets, 2-3 lights of varying size.

One wallet has ID and most-used cards, the other wallet has other cards (e.g., Costco card, Sam’s club card, that kind of thing.) I also carry a money clip with a few dollars to toss as a distraction. That also prevents me from having to take out a wallet when paying in cash (which is becoming less frequent these days).

I also carry a small knife (CRKT Pike’s Peak) specifically for utility reasons in addition to a “tactical” knife. I don’t want to dull the defensive knife opening mail or boxes. Likewise, I carry a small light (Olight i3T EOS) for utility tasks rather than using the high-lumen “tactical” light (Fenix PD35 Tac) for such chores. (1 AAA battery is much cheaper than 2 CR123 cells!)

I should carry an IFAK in my vehicles, but I don’t yet do that on a regular basis, as I’d like to get some training first. (Then again, having an IFAK readily available may allow someone who has the training to use it to treat me or someone else, so it would probably be smart to start carrying it anyway...)

Though I don’t often carry it, I actually have a WML for my G19X and a Werkz IWB holster to accommodate the WML. The light is an Olight PL-Mini 2 Valkyrie. I have three of those; they’re good little lights.

When I’m carrying, I carry 2 reloads, normally. The only time I don’t carry reloads is on my mountain bike when I’m carrying a Ruger LCR in a CrossBreed belly band; in that case, the cylinder is charged with 2 rounds of snake shot and 3 rounds of JHP. I do carry a knife and flashlight, though, even in that situation. When and where I ride I only anticipate running across a rattlesnake, and I would only shoot the snake if I were threatened and could not evade it. (I have encountered a small rattlesnake and a skunk on my rides, but neither of them paid me any attention.)

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handheld light and almost always a spare mag. The mag isn’t so much for capacity as a mag related malfunction or it not being seated properly and falling out or accidentally depressing mag release while carrying and it falls after the 1st shot.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quattro15:
What do you guys think about these two items on a CCW EDC routine?

Do you carry both, one or the other?

Do you think a light on the gun or on your person is a better option?

Do you think a backup magazine is necessary?

Things get heavy, we have a lot of stuff on us anyway....Cell Phones, keys, knives, etc.

Do you keep a first aid kit on your person?

Are any of these Items in your vehicle but not on your belt?

When is it too much?

A decently stout blade is more basic, and more important, than light or firearm.

A hand-held light is more basic, and more important, than carrying a firearm.

Magazines that drop free, or otherwise detach, are consumable items, subject to failure. If carrying a weapon that feeds from such mags, I want to have at least one spare magazine. I tend to carry revolvers, lately, so, a spare magazine is not an “always” thing.

I leave our little piece of real estate on foot, multiple times daily. I may not use my truck each day. So, none of my daily-carry items are inside my truck. I do, however, keep an spare light, and a spare, loaded Glock magazine, inside my truck. (I do not keep a firearm inside the truck.)

I like Surefire X200b, X300, and X300U weapon-mounted lights, but they are a SUPPLEMENT to the hand-held light(s). (Not all of my carry guns have accessory rails.)

I have first aid items inside the truck, to include a clotting-agent dressing, and two TQs. Whether I bring first aid items with me, when I am on foot, is situational/occasional.

What is too much? Walking the little dogs in the neighborhood is a different kettle of fish than going on a serious trail walk/run that passes through deserted, but still urbanized areas, and those two are quite different from walking my wife’s family’s wooded property, where arson and poaching have occurred.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're not carrying a handheld light with you, you're doing it wrong. You'll use it constantly.

I always have at least one spare mag and if the gun is big enough, a weapon mounted light. If it's time to go to guns, I think the potential incumbrance in getting concealment garments out of the way will really complicate getting gun and handheld light into play. Plus, gun handling suffers with the handheld. As somebody else said, the TLR-7A/XC1 type lights really make it tough not to.

Count me as a copper that has two wallets, too.

Posts: 5141 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I will always carry a light and a spare magazine. When I was carrying a 320, I also had a WML on the gun.

Since I switched to carrying a full-size 2011 (which surprisingly is quite concealable), I no longer carry a WML on that because that hogleg plus an X300 is just way, way too much real estate in the pants. At the time when I ordered my excellent LAS concealment holster, there was no option for any other light other than X300 and TLR-1. Now they have a TLR-7 option, but I wonder if that's still too chunky.

I believe in WML and handheld light, but that's not currently working out.

I carry my spare mag in a separate carrier AIWB, rather than a "sidecar".

I usually have an ankle trauma kit these days, but I'm not sure what I'll do now that summer's almost here.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always carry a surefire handheld light and reloads. If it’s a revolver I always carry two reloads if it’s a semi auto I always have at least one but usually two spare mags. I also carry a pocket knife for regular daily BS and a fixed blade in my boot. Sometimes another fixed blade on the belt reserved for “work”. I also carry a TQ in my back pocket and a full trauma kit in the vehicle or in my pack if out hiking with the family. I will agree that a handheld light is my most used daily item.

Posts: 8 | Registered: June 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Most (about 90%) of the time, I do not carry a light on my weapon. If I am in the field, fishing or hunting I do, but I always carry a handheld on my weakside.

Each carry weapon has a matching light/mag holder:

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I carry a G19 at 4 o’clock
streamlight microlight front left pocket
Money clip front left pocket
Spyderco Endura pocketknife light front pocket
Wallet in left rear pocket
Retired police ID left rear pocket

Been wearing a safemakerII push knife on 5e belt at 10-11 o’clock but not all the time

I keep two spare mags in the door pocket of my truck...

I use the money clip to toss away from me if someone has gotten the drop on me.

Same reason why I carry the retired creds separately, in case someone gets the drop on me and I don’t want them knowing...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quattro15:
What do you guys think about these two items on a CCW EDC routine?

Do you carry both, one or the other?

Do you think a light on the gun or on your person is a better option?

Do you think a backup magazine is necessary?

Things get heavy, we have a lot of stuff on us anyway....Cell Phones, keys, knives, etc.

Do you keep a first aid kit on your person?

Are any of these Items in your vehicle but not on your belt?

When is it too much?

1. A light is vital, to me. A light is more important than a firearm, I do not use magazines to reload my revolvers, so, rarely carry magazines.

2. A weapon-mounted light is rather useless for most tasks that require illumination, so, the light on my person is a best practice. I do sometimes carry autos, but have yet to sort-out a way way to truly, realistically conceal a pistol, with a light mounted on the rail.

3. If I am carrying an autopistol, I do believe that a spare magazine is a best practice. A malfunction clearance may require that the magazine be forcefully stripped from the weapon.

4. Things do get heavy. “Heavy” is relative. We each choose our level of salvation.

5. I do not carry a FAK on my person, unless I am toting a bag.

6. I do have first aid supplies, including a clotting agent and TQs, inside my vehicle.

7. “Too much” is relative. We each choose our level of salvation.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I usually have an ankle trauma kit these days, but I'm not sure what I'll do now that summer's almost here.

Which ankle kit are you using?
I'm bouncing back n'forth between the US Palm design from The Wilderness and SFD's Responder 2.0
Appreciate any insight or, points of interest you found helpful.

For summer-time, short weather, waist-pack/fannypack or, small bullet-pack like this or, a man-purse, small gear tote works.

Posts: 14548 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Always a small light. Always a spare mag.

IFAK in the vehicle.

No WML on my CCW.

This.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mo4040:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Always a small light. Always a spare mag.

IFAK in the vehicle.

No WML on my CCW.

This.

Same here.

Posts: 13666 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run an X300U on my carry rig but its definitely not a replacement for a real handheld flashlight. As well, I've found I use the handheld a metric ton for non-gun-related activities.

I have 2 mags on me when I leave the house. Long trips, civil unrest or overnights and I bring a rifle w/3 mags to boot.

Posts: 3036 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
I always carry a spare magazine! I used to carry a flashlight, but don't anymore with a smartphone that has a flashlight i can easily use.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

And I thought I was the only one who did something like this. Smile

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Always a reload and a flashlight. A streamlight microstream usb. ALWAYS....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post