SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Is IWB carry no longer needed?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is IWB carry no longer needed? Login/Join 
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
You can carry either way in Minnesota. I mainly carry OWB due to comfort but do carry IWB now and then. As long as you dress around the gun, nobody should ever know.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
I used to be hard core one way or another (and very anti-AIWB), but I’ve softened on the idea of one way or another.

Jones, if you've got a minute, I'd be interested to hear the full story of your process on this. I know AIWB is hugely popular these days, and that it can be done safely. I also know there are numerous advantages...I just have a hard time getting over some of my reservations about reholstering and where the muzzle is pointed as one carries in that manner. As someone who's opinion I respect, I'd be interested to hear how you worked through your concerns and arrived at acceptance.

I figured out that there’s no race back to the holster. We always would tell people that with any holster. But, I took it to heart. Once I got past that, the advantages were too many to ignore. My draw times concealed were as fast as an open top. Doing DT, I had better control concealed when the fight was on. And I had zero back pain 12-14 hours a day.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I figured out that there’s no race back to the holster. We always would tell people that with any holster. But, I took it to heart. Once I got past that, the advantages were too many to ignore. My draw times concealed were as fast as an open top. Doing DT, I had better control concealed when the fight was on. And I had zero back pain 12-14 hours a day.

Thanks. Good food for thought. The back pain issue by itself is significant, as it's something I've fought with for years and mostly overcome, but it's still always there waiting to flare up again, and a gun in the waistband at 4:00 is definitely a factor.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Legal issues (and I mean legal issues that can directly get you arrested and charged), are only one reason to carry concealed. Open carry can engender all sorts of negative attention.

Guns are valuable, and criminals want them. If they know you're carrying they can adjust their tactics to neutralize your ability to deploy your gun against them, and take the gun.

Also, a lot of people are freaked out by guns. While this shouldn't be a problem a carrier would have to deal with, it very well can be. This can lead to negative interactions with LE, that while not legally justified, will still happen. I know a case in Las Vegas where a legal carrier was killed by LE because a clerk in Costco spotted his gun and call their PD.

If someone is carrying a gun, they're likely much better off if the strangers around them don't know.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't tend to open carry, but every holster I own with the exception of pocket holsters is an OWB holster. It's not inconvenient to use a cover garment. If said garment becomes dislodged, I'll correct that, but I don't fret over such rare occurrences.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, the carry method depends on the firearm size. I used to carry a compact double-stack 9mm AIWB. Now that I switched over to a P220 in 45acp, it's OWB at the 5 o'clock position. I tuck an athletic material undershirt (like under armor or something lighter) to prevent the pistol and holster from rubbing against bare flesh. The shirts I wear will usually drape over my pistol and 2-mag pouch. I can't imagine carrying the P220 AIWB or IWB in general; wearing everything one or two sizes up to compensate for that size pistol is not worth it to me. I feel a lot better with the slimline 45acp in a leather holster and single stack magazines in a leather pouch than I ever did with a blocky double-stack 9mm in a stiff Kydex style holster. I would have never chosen to carry a single-stack 9mm either, so I am comfortable and confident in my choice to carry OWB.

mi45acp

Posts: 72 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
Perfectly legal in Utah and has been for awhile. However I prefer to conceal carry. No need to advertise I'm the good guy that is going to stop the bad guy.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still like the idea of in the waistband because I’m not advertising to people that I have a gun to steal or that I should be shot first in an active shooter environment.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I've had my CCL for almost 10 years now and have been carrying AIWB for 8 of those. By far the most comfortable and easiest to conceal under a polo shirt tucked or untucked when discretion and work dress are factors.
I still like a nice belt holster under a jacket when I can get away with it.
Tier 1 and Blackpoint Tactical make some pretty great stuff.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mipistola45:
For me, the carry method depends on the firearm size. I used to carry a compact double-stack 9mm AIWB. Now that I switched over to a P220 in 45acp, it's OWB at the 5 o'clock position. I tuck an athletic material undershirt (like under armor or something lighter) to prevent the pistol and holster from rubbing against bare flesh. The shirts I wear will usually drape over my pistol and 2-mag pouch. I can't imagine carrying the P220 AIWB or IWB in general; wearing everything one or two sizes up to compensate for that size pistol is not worth it to me. I feel a lot better with the slimline 45acp in a leather holster and single stack magazines in a leather pouch than I ever did with a blocky double-stack 9mm in a stiff Kydex style holster. I would have never chosen to carry a single-stack 9mm either, so I am comfortable and confident in my choice to carry OWB.

I suggest that you get an AIWB holster specifically designed for that type of carry. I routinely carry a 220 AIWB in a JM Custom Kydex or a Kramer holster in my normal size trousers. One of the beautiful things about AIWB carry is that you don't have to go up in trousers size.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add me to the AIWB camp. I used to be OWB, 4:00, which required a jacket or long-tailed shirt. But after a 3-day training session with a professional who swears by AIWB, along with many demonstrations by him of how much faster I am with AIWB, I switched. I now have good kydex for everything I carry, which is currently (and has been for years now) either: Walther PPS M1 or M2, P365, P320 Compact .357, or very occasionally when a thin t-shirt demands it LCP .380 with Crimson Trace. Only exception these days is on a long roadtrip in weather where I have a jacket or button-up shirt I’ll wear the P365 in a Gallo Miami Classic shoulder rig.

Posts: 165 | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outside the waist band doesn't necessarily mean open carry in my opinion. If you have a gun that isn't hard to conceal and don't mind wearing shirttails out, then most people will never notice. If you are a big guy, I'm talking belly here, IWB carry is damn uncomfortable. As for a bad guy trying to get your gun, well you should always be aware of your surroundings whether you're armed or not, pay attention to what's going on around you.

Posts: 23 | Location: st louis | Registered: April 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are living in the age of crazy people, crazy people with big mouths and " privilege".
There
Is a saying about married people who cheat.

If they didn't want people talking about them , they wouldn't be doing it

The open carry version is

If you don't want people talking about you
You wouldn't make them aware that you are carrying.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my roughly 50 years of carrying concealable pistols and even N-frame S&W revolvers, I've never found it advantageous to let others know I"m carrying.

Respectfully, the only place I'll do it is when I'm salmon fishing in Alaska, where having a large caliber handgun immediately accessible for bear protection is very common practice. Today, with so many urban threats, it's especially important to be the "gray man" and never let anyone know you're carrying, because that 3/10ths of a second (element of surprise/reactionary gap) might just save your life one day.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jmkfive:
In my roughly 50 years of carrying concealable pistols and even large N-frame revolvers, I've never found it advantageous to let others know I"m carrying.

Respectfully, the only place I'll do it is when I'm salmon fishing in Alaska, where having a large caliber handgun immediately accessible for bear protection is very common practice. Today, with so many urban threats, it's especially important to be the "gray man" and never let anyone know you're carrying, because that 3/10ths of a second (element of surprise/reactionary gap) might just save your life one day.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
When I was on the 3500 acre deer lease or out in other out of city limit areas open carry was the thing to do.

Open carry in those areas allowed quick access to 357SIG/magnum/etc/22LR even when we needed it vs hogs and varmints.

I'm in the camp though that open carry around "city-folk" in big cities isn't helpful.

Advertising to criminals who to neutralize first at the very least.

A hidden gun on the other hand may allow you to have the time to react and end the shooting.

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I only carry IWB, and about 99% of the time, concealed. I may tuck a shirt and ditch a cover garment in the truck for longer drives, but only incredibly rarely do I go out in public with a pistol openly visible on my belt line. I'm not an IDPA grand master and I need every advantage I can get - not making it obvious I'm carrying a gun is an advantage.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The need to deeply conceal, at least some of the time, is still with us, even in places where open carry is technically legal. I live in a deeply “blue” county, and deeply “blue” US congressional district, politically, so, deep concealment is a best practice, even here in Texas.

Plus, I have reached an age at which medium-sized/compact pistols, if chambered for .38/9mm level ammo, are painful to shoot, so, I am tending to tote larger, “orthodpedic” weapons, which I can shoot without pain. These larger pistols require a longer cover garment, if not toted inside the trousers, and, in this SE Texas heat and humidity, longer cover garments are not always the most comfortable.

I also like to get those sights WAY out there, so, again, longer-barreled handguns, for my aging eyes.

So, yes, inside-the-pantalones/trousers/kilt holsters still have their place.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rexster,

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent way to conceal a pistol. It’s personal preference.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Thanks. Good food for thought. The back pain issue by itself is significant, as it's something I've fought with for years and mostly overcome, but it's still always there waiting to flare up again, and a gun in the waistband at 4:00 is definitely a factor.

I'm obviously not Jones, but if I can add a little.
Carrying at 4 0'clock always bothered me (physically)in a car/chair/sitting. AIWB is much easier for my body type in all of these configurations. I'm also more confident in being in a physical altercation when the gun is in my (front) workspace. I've never been overly obsessed with printing, but the gun being up front puts my mind at ease in that regard. In practicing drawing from a chair/table and in my vehicles, AIWB always felt much more natural to me. Most of the time it's as easy as tucking my shirt behind the gun. This wasnt as easy when the gun was at 4 0'clock.
And of course, heeding the advice of Jones in previous classes, there's most certainly no race back to the holster.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post