SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Do you CCW a P239?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you CCW a P239? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I own and used to carry a P239 in .40. It's a great pistol and I intend to ship it off to Bruce Grey at some point to have his magic done. Most of the time presently I carry a G32, or for pocket carry, a G43.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I carry my P239 9mm in a Don Hume 721OT quite often. I do rotate my carry guns based on what I am wearing, and where I am going, and honestly, sometimes "just because I feel like toting that one".

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
Thanks ...for updates... Smile

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RANGER20;
Jump over to the SIG Pistols forum and look at Yankee2500's thread called "Sig P239".
I posted some photo's of the P239 I got for Christmas and the holster I got from Dustin at Ozark Holsters.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying a P239 this winter in a Stealthgear OWB holster. It carries comfortably and conceals extremely well with a sweat shirt or jacket. The holster tucks very high and tight against your body if you have a good belt. I'll switch to a IWB holster for summer carry.

Posts: 16 | Registered: June 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my 239 chambered in .40. Shoot that as well as, or better, than anything else. That being said, I usually don't carry it, primarily due to the lower capacity. But every time I shoot it, I seriously reconsider...

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I'll still use the 239 on more formal situations or winter sometimes, but moved on to smaller pistols for most of my carry. Usually a .357 mag sp101 in the front pocket...
Sometimes a .380 if it's shorts and tank top weather...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CWR67:
If you find one in .357Sig or .40 you can always pick up a barrel and magazine(s) for the other caliber. With 9mm, you can not switch it to a different caliber.

I originally purchased mine in .40 as that was my duty caliber at the time. Upon retirement I switched it over to .357. As I have more .40 ammo than .357 ammo, I practice with the .40 ammo and carry it with the .357.

What he said. Get it in .40 or .357 Sig. You can swap barrels - and there is even a 9mm barrel. If you by in a 9mm you are exclusively stuck with 9mm.

I have a 239 SAS DAK in a .40 with a .357 barrel also. I have very few round through it because I could never master the heavier DAK trigger. I'm thinking about either selling it or converting it to a SA/DA.

It's a great weapon, shoots straight and well made. It never gave me issues regardless
It carries very nice in my Milt Sparks VMII. Extremely comfortable and disappears in the waist with the VMII.

If it wasn't for the DAK trigger it would me my #1 go to.

I also carry a 1911 in a VMII. It is surprising how well a full 1911 carries because of it's flatness. I have a Sig 229 that I carry mostly in a VMII. It fits will but not as well as the 239 nor the 1911 (believe it or not).

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I bought a used one in .40 that included a 9mm barrel from a member here a few years back. It is a fantastic choice and is a real pleasure to shoot and very accurate.

Three I also carry are a 9mm PPS, a 9mm PPQ or a 220 carry SAS g2. I also bought the 220 and the PPQ used from members here.

Unexpectedly the P239 works well for me for those somewhat rarer times when I wish to carry an excess or maximum amount of rounds.

Many member here have said they felt the need to carry more rounds in past years. I started using the PPQ with its 15 rounder mags when things started to feel a little less cordial out there in recent times. For when I go into an area of town considered higher risk , I'll take more. For somewhere like the Texas State Fair, I like the 239 single stack mags for carrying multiples. Two each to a split cargo pocket. Counting the one on my belt, that means it can be up to 5 additional mags on me. With extenders, that means 2 rounds short of a box of .40 S&W 155gr Gold Dots on my person. I've tried to make the double stacks work for me, but just do not prefer more than one additional for on body carry. They just don't carry as well in the split cargo pockets. The only way I can see that working better is with dedicated leather for the mags as well. That's just not something that I have embraced the use of thus far. I have always carried one extra mag, horizontally at the waist, in a Safariland 123 or a multi-tool pocket.

I tried and liked some checkered G10 grips but I sold them. It now feels perfectly fitted for my right hand with the Crimson Trace laser grips, a short reach trigger, plus an SRT trigger kit installed. I just changed the CT's batteries for the first time and it still works great. But I've always said if the laser ever craps out, I'll likely leave these grips on. For me, they are perfect for this firearm.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
83v45magna ^^^^ Good stuff

I have G10s That I've saved that are for my old 239 DAK/DAO. I've handled a 239 with the Crimson Trace grips it was "Just Right". Thank you for your thoughts and write up.. Also to everyone else as well..

DukeMinski Thanks I did good info there as well.

I really like and have liked the 239.. I know it's not for everyone. In contrast I have a nostalgia desire for the P6 and really like them. But know the 239 is for many including me a odd duck that just fills the nitch for carry so well. The thin single stack back up mag is easy to carry. The Gun points naturally more like a 1911. Recoil in any of it's 3 caliber options is controllable. And while it's rare to re-holster a carry gun on a daily basis I do appreciate a hammer to thumb over. I like the DAK.. for more reasons than I have time to write.. but the da/sa is fine training is paramount with any...

Thanks again ...

posted Hide Post
Woo Hoo ! ! !
Santa brought the P239 and I have been carrying it for a month in one of Dustin's IWB hybrids . . .

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A DAK P239 chambered for 357 SIG is my “first alternate” carry gun. I rely on it when I can’t conceal a similar P229 as well as I like. The P239 then rides in one type of IWB holster or another. I don’t, however, like the 239’s grip very much even with SAS wood grip plates, and I can’t operate the trigger as well as larger guns’. I nevertheless still consider it to be a serious gun chambered for a serious cartridge; anything much less is a desperation choice.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund:
Thank you for your input. I originally purchased a DAK 239 based on your recommendation years ago for the DAK trigger action. I really liked the way the 239 shot the 357 it was very manageable nearly as easy to shoot as the 9mm I also owned at the same time in DA/SA. I still think DAK is the best trigger system out there. DAK is very difficult to come by in CA, especially in 357.

I do realize the grip on the 229 is not much different than the 239 in width and it fills the hand better than the 239. I still prefer the single stack mags of the 239. However there is something to be said for 10+1 of the 229 vs 7+1 in CA. Although a Plus one may be an option but only if it's reliable.

I have an option for a 239 40 that I may be able to convert to DAK. I need to talk to SIG tomorrow about the Ser# to determine if it can be converted to DAK. Then to find a barrel at TGS.
Best to you sir. Thanks again!

Here was my 1st Gen 357 sig that got away... Frown
SOLD to persue a P7M8...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RANGER20,

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RANGER20:
Sigfreund:
Thank you for your input. I originally purchased a DAK 239 based on your recommendation years ago for the DAK trigger action.

Always happy to be a bad influence. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prestoked
posted Hide Post
That particular P239 pictured is the one gun I consider "the one that got away". I had the chance to buy it from Christian, and he offered me a good deal too, and I waited too long. He knows. Sigh.

*Sigs, HKs, S&W PerfCntr, Caspian, Dan Wessons, Clark, Wilson Combat, Kahrs, CZ SP01 Shadow, Desert Eagle, Les Baers, Ed Brown, Pythons*

NRA Benefactor Member
U.S.M.C.

Posts: 224 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Heiduke
posted Hide Post
Just hit 8 years with my 239-9. Still going strong as my backup and off duty piece. Finally settled on a clinger aiwb(cheap/effective) and a Mika vest holster. Can't remember mine ever malfunctioning. Highly recommended, carry with confidence.

"We should bring back dueling, it would improve manners."
-Ed Abbey

Posts: 794 | Location: In the woods | Registered: April 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
I have carried the P239 for many years (About 12) It is not to big and not to small . Just right for me to conceal Smile

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund... sometimes bad is good... Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Prestoked:
That particular P239 pictured is the one gun I consider "the one that got away". I had the chance to buy it from Christian, and he offered me a good deal too, and I waited too long. He knows. Sigh.

I wish you would have got it so I could have doubled your money to get it back today Smile

I checked with sig on the two 239 40s in town they are too old to be converted... Darn.

wow 808 that is impressive 12 years...

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RANGER20:
Sigfreund... sometimes bad is good... Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Prestoked:

I wish you would have got it so I could have doubled your money to get it back today Smile

I checked with sig on the two 239 40s in town they are too old to be converted... Darn.

wow 808 that is impressive 12 years...

I've also carried one for 12 years. 40 caliber. It could use an overhaul, new springs for sure. It probably has ten thousand rounds through it. Maybe more.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
My old standby P239 is still quite active. Even though I now have several newer fancier ones, the P239 is still a valued member of my EDC armory. Also, it frequently is used as my backup truck gun when I'm carrying something else.

Best of luck in finding the perfect replacement for your old buddy. I know I will never let go of mine.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post