SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Shoulder holster recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoulder holster recommendations Login/Join 
posted
I’m looking recommendations for the P226. Thank you very much!

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I can recommend what NOT to buy, a FIST holster!
I found the one I bought to be a waste of $150 dollars, garbage.

Posts: 4618 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Galco Miami Classic

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Andrews Leather Monarch would be my choice if I was going shoulder holster.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16054 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
This ^^^^^

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Galco Miami Classic is excellent. That is what I have although not for a 226

The Andrews Leather Monarch is what I wish I had instead

Posts: 548 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Fan:
I’m looking recommendations for the P226. Thank you very much!

Wondering why you want to use a shoulder holster. I,have,been taught that are a several tactical issues With a shoulder holster as a CCW method. IMHO its not the best holster to CCW unless you spend most of your time sitting /driving, hunting / hiking open carry or are operating in restrictive spaces where a gun on the belt/thigh would represent a snag hazard...

Posts: 81 | Location: Southern California  | Registered: April 29, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I would second (no, I’d “third” it as someone else already seconded Smile) the Andrews Monarch suggestion and would offer something slightly different from Galco: their Jackass rig. I carried a P229 in a Galco Jackass shoulder holster and it worked very well.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Mitch Rosen makes a very nice shoulder holster that fits a Sig.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1549 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
At present the shoulder holster market is dominated by the older makers who produce their very well designed offerings in leather.

Kydex hybrid shoulder holsters won't break out into the mainstream until a newer generation discovers them. Three to five years out.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend trying before you buy. You are probably going to find a 226 in a shoulder rig is heavy, uncomfortable, and harder to hide than you expect. I'm not anti shoulder holster for certain specific roles, but outside of those pretty specific situations they kind of suck.

I do have a Kirkpatrick shoulder rig for a p365 that I like a fair bit for road trips where I'm going to be seated for extended periods or when I'm wearing a suit where a gunbelt is absolutely out of the question. The drawback is that then I can't remove the jacket.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I shoulder carry most of the time and it's not concealment problem under the shirt. Goes to always wear a button/snap top. My summer wear shirts are now mostly concealment shirts from the "Im not an LEO" makers. Yeah, those plaids are a dead giveaway.

Now, is the draw slower, sure. Other than getting carjacked - where you are 95% the lead car at a light - you just use the gas pedal FIRST. Most of the victims had the window down door unlocked in condition white. Inside the ring roads of a metro, wrong defensive posture.

As for needing to draw quickly it's a trained and conditioned response to an attack, goes to ignoring the "wrong place wrong time" rule which addresses most of that up front, add some situational awareness and it's mostly taken care of. Unbutton shirt when approaching and go tropical.

The anticipated need for a sub 2 second draw is an indicator somebody is violating wrong place wrong time. Place gun in pocket in the hand.

The shoulder holster should be an X strap arrangement in the back, NOT a cross strap around the rib cage which causes exposure via the enhanced man boob look. I have those and they are kinda hot in the summer, you can't unbutton. I added a neoprene left shoulder strap to a Blackhawk Stache IWB and its testing out well, Brauer Bros style, no stitching.

Goes to: the older leather guys perfected these long ago, but aren't moving into the next generation, which will leave them behind in the shoulder holster market badly. We need ventilated support with minimum hardware - OMG I picked up a chest harness to mod and it's got buckles, keepers etc that would set off a radar gun just driving by - and using a kydex holster for retention is much better than some wadded up mess of soft nylon. Right now it's $100+ for a pro leather holster or accept substandard in an X carry style.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skip Ritchie ( Ritchie gunleather) makes a great one. It is called the field master I think. It actuallly holds the gun vertical, and as you grab the gun and draw the holster body swivels. Skip makes great holsters and is an A+ guy I know personally

For certain people body types or circumstances shoulder holsters have a place for sure.
No holster type/ carry method fits all.
I for one can’t tolerate appendix carry which seems to be what all the cool kids are doing these days.

Posts: 3281 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm still waiting for mine. Ordered by phone late last year. Not a peep yet.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16648 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Mitch Rosen makes a fine shoulder holster.

There are issues with any holster. The shoulder holster simply requires excellent trigger finger control. You do sweep the rear and the left, but it is so very comfortable if you are working long hours in a sport coat.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5043 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm currently looking at the Galco Miami Classic II (Leather) and Ares shoulder holsters in Kydex. I want horizontal and not vertical carry.

P226r Extreme, P226 TACOPS, M11-A1, P220 Elite Full Size

Posts: 30 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: January 31, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I had a very old Jackass rig that I wanted to change. A Kydex maker fixed this up for me. I can switch out the J frame for a Kydex 225 and the rig still work. I'm in FLA and carry this very often I find the almost upside down comfortable and cancels better for me and It has never dropped out..I have tech tension adjusted right where I want it. Cheers

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I find shoulder holsters shine most when you are mostly seated all day, other times not so much.

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
I'm still waiting for mine. Ordered by phone late last year. Not a peep yet.
Mine took twelve weeks from the date of order until the ship notification. And that was for a 1911-pattern holster, which tends to be a bit quicker than most others.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a good deal on of course EBay for a Gun Gear shoulder holster for my Sig P226. It came pretty tight, and had to wet it to form fit better, with one mag pouch. It does wear nice.

P226r Extreme, P226 TACOPS, M11-A1, P220 Elite Full Size

Posts: 30 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: January 31, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post