SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Looking for Hammer fired "EDC"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Hammer fired "EDC" Login/Join 
posted
Looking for a hammer fired Sig to make as one of my winter carries. Is the 226 my best bet?

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 18, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I carried a P229 for a couple of decades until recently, and would not have switched to a P320 if my ag..., er..., maturity hadn’t finally been catching up with me.

The P229 is handier to carry and gives up only a little to the P226 in terms of practical accuracy and bullet velocity due to its shorter slide and barrel. Except for being a bit harder for me to shoot well than the P320, I still consider a P229 to be the ideal concealed carry gun for anyone who can do so with the clothes he wears.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
In addition to a 229, give a SIG Pro 2022 a look as well.

They have arguably one of the best "out of the box" triggers of any DA/SA SIG out there.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is the 226 trigger?

I never even heard of the 2022 lol

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gman010:
How is the 226 trigger?

I never even heard of the 2022 lol

My 226 trigger is outstanding. All I did with it was change the grips to something I liked better.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for a DAO, a DA/SA, or a SAO action? Personally, I prefer the "old school" SAO (Cocked and Locked) pistols for a consistent trigger pull. My big gun is a P226R Elite SAO and if I want to go small with the same type of trigger, I'll use my P938 Legion. Both are of course 9mm and using the Winchester or Federal standard velocity 147 grain ammo ("T"-series and HST), works best for me out of both handguns.

For DAO, I go with a Sig P365X (ten round magazine) and carry a 12 or 15 round magazine as a backup.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
a consistent trigger pull.

That's why my P229 had a DAK trigger. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Browning HiPower

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
a consistent trigger pull.

That's why my P229 had a DAK trigger. Wink

Oh, snap. Wink

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
P228 not an M11a1

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Does it have to be a Sig? What's your budget?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I was alternating between my old P229 and P228 for my hammer fired carry guns over my Berettas because the SIGs are smaller but I'm looking hard at the PX4 to replace the SIGs.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Does it have to be a Sig? What's your budget?

Id rather it be a Sig. $1500, give or take

posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you looking for a DAO, a DA/SA, or a SAO action? Personally, I prefer the "old school" SAO (Cocked and Locked) pistols for a consistent trigger pull. My big gun is a P226R Elite SAO and if I want to go small with the same type of trigger, I'll use my P938 Legion. Both are of course 9mm and using the Winchester or Federal standard velocity 147 grain ammo ("T"-series and HST), works best for me out of both handguns.

For DAO, I go with a Sig P365X (ten round magazine) and carry a 12 or 15 round magazine as a backup.

Think Im leaning to DA/SA, but not picky at all

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
If I were to consider returning to hammer-fired for edc, I would give the PX4 a good hard look.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
If I were to consider returning to hammer-fired for edc, I would give the PX4 a good hard look.

If it doesn't have to be a SIG - I wholeheartedly concur, especially the Compact. Big Grin

I carry this more than any other pistol nowadays, even in the colder months.
Literally Glock 19 size, can take 17 round mags and IMHO, has the best (and flat) recoil impluse of just about any pistol out there - including bigger, all metal guns.
It definitely shoots 10X better than a FS PX4.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gman010:
quote:

Think Im leaning to DA/SA, but not picky at all

The P226 in DA/SA is nice, but for CCW why not go a bit smaller with a P228 or (even better IMHO) a CZ PCR that's been tuned by Cajun Custom? These are extremely reliable pistols and the trigger work done by this small company is nothing short of phenomenal.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
The PX4 would be a very good choice. If your not set on a Sig, I would also recommend the Beretta 92 compact.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P229 or CZ P-07 or CZ PCR in that order would be my choices.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I prefer non railed P229 in 357 Sig.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post