SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Just took my first few VR flights in DCS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just took my first few VR flights in DCS Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
My mind is totally blown!!!

I still have a ton to do; tweak graphics settings to find the sweet spot, learn how to map/bind controls to my HOTAS/rudder setup, and not least of all.....learn to fly ONE of the aircraft.

But just jumping into 'free flight' in any of the simulated planes is incredible in VR. I'm using a Reverb G2 and I can't get over how sharp everything is in the cockpits. I am learning to use the hand controllers to actuate some of the stuff that isn't on the HOTAS. I successfully jettisoned my F/A-18C's canopy and ejected. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I just sprung for a Pimax 8KX for MSFS2020.

Is there a setting for the hand controllers in DCS? I haven't bought any yet as what I've read said that I might not need them on the PC if I have a yoke and rudder.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I know DCS "sees" my hand controllers (as Nomex flight gloves no less). I think you have to have something to actuate all the buttons/switches/knobs in the cockpit.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
graphics are a bit better than Falcon 3.0

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Just a smidge. Big Grin

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
To be more clear with my answer Skull, you definitely need something in addition to HOTAS to work everything. The hand controllers work, but they are clunky just sitting in your lap. I also think they may be limited. Yesterday I was turning random knobs and could not figure out how to turn them back.

There is also a 3rd party device called PointCTRL. It's basically a hand controller that you wear on your index fingers. It supposedly has a rotary dial and two buttons on it to facilitate switches/dials/knobs.

Also there is a program called Voice Attack that lets you assign vocal commands to keyboard commands. Like you say "gear up" and that executes whatever keyboard commands you need to raise the gear.

Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Wow. How things have changed.
Years ago I purchased rudder pedals, joystick and throttle from CH products for Lock On modern air combat.

I miss playing those flight simulators.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3861 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post