SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Any predictions on the first new show to get cancelled?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any predictions on the first new show to get cancelled? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Are there still the three networks? Honest to God, I haven't watched anything on "terrestrial" television in decades! I vaguely hear about shit like "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and "American Idol," and quickly say, "No, thanks" and open a book.

These days, I watch mostly sports (yay, my team is in the World Series!) and search for real news (OAN is the closest, I've found).

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Para, not only were there only 3 networks but after the 11 o'clock news and the National Anthem they went off the air.

Does anyone else remember this sign off?

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/sGj6deaINxM

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Seasons?

Both my girls have only internet and Netflix, with smart TV's. No cable TV.

One asked me the other day just what exactly they meant, or what was the significance of "Seasons" when referring to a series.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Does anyone else remember this sign off?

I most certainly do! Depending on the station, it was either this or the one with the American flag waving while the National Anthem played.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
They could cancel every network tv show currently airing, save maybe The Simpsons" and I wouldn't notice.

I do miss the days when the one hour network drama series was king. Always had the popcorn popped for Thursday night.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Well, what shows are we talking about? Chances are, if I did know about them, I'd avoid them like the plague. It seems to me that there's very little good TV these days.

For the older guys, remember what a big deal it was when the only three networks in existence rolled out their fall programming?

We never subscribed to TV Guide, the "magazine", so when the fall show preview issue would come out, my sister and I would BEG our mom to buy it at the grocery store. We would read the entire issue, front to back!

Posts: 740 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Looks like I was wrong, as usual. The show seems to be a hit and they are calling for more episodes to be shot.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Watching TV these days is like breathing, but back then, it had great value, and this was especially true before VCRs. You had to be there to see it when it was broadcast or by God, you didn't see it. There's no way you can convey to young people what this felt like. I feel lucky.
I'd like to add that TV back then actually brought the family together. Usually, a household had only ONE television and the family sat together, watched, and spent quality time with each other. It also gave them something to talk about as a family later around the dinner table. I very much so remember Sunday nights watching The FBI starring Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. because my dad LOVED that show. Another is Hee-Haw (yeah...preserve your laughter for later Smile). We were living up north and my Southern mother absolutely HATED it. That show was her connection to "home" in the south.

I agree, Para. Fond memories and yes...the spoiled kids of today with a TV in every room with the ability to separate from the rest of the family and isolate in their room to watch what they want have NO IDEA what it was like.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post