SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    F9: The Fast Saga
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F9: The Fast Saga Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
Man, I never even knew what the title of the movie was. Talk about stupid.

If you like the Fast and Furious movies but hated The Fate of the Furious, you'll be disappointed to know that this movie goes to the same outlandish extremes--and beyond--but also happy to see some old, familiar faces returning.

I won't go into too much detail, because the screenwriter certainly didn't, but there's a ton of vehicular mayhem, a lot of bro-hugging, and a lot of humor.

I just wish Paul Walker were still alive, cuz it seems like he was the only one capable of keeping the movies somewhat grounded in being believable.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Watched a few minutes of F+F (can't remember which one) a while ago.

Looked like every car had fireworks in the trunk and was being driven by Harry Potter.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F&F brings to mind the Police Academy movies. The more they made, the worse it got.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you don't crash, you
ain't tryin' hard enough
posted Hide Post
Agree. Stupid.

It’s not just unbelievable but simply they ran out of ideas.

I am committed now, so yes I’ll go see the 10th one when it comes out but I’ll be disappointed more in myself for going then in the future movie which will inevitably suck even more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Posts: 470 | Location: N. TX | Registered: April 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
F9 was not nearly as obnoxious as I was expecting. Maybe I'm just getting worn down to the silliness of the series, or maybe everything is just getting way too tired at this point. Perhaps both. At least it manages to be more entertaining than Fast 4, Fate, and especially, Hobbs and Shaw, in my book.

It's still an insanely long-ass episode of a live-action version of an '80s Saturday-morning cartoon, complete with flashy, insipid action sequences linked together by long-bouts of plot exposition. Like Tyrese comments in the film, the characters seem invulnerable, so there's never any drama or suspense on whether they'll survive the wacky situations they get into. Although, to be fair, nobody reminds him that close "family" members Matt Schulze, Elsa Pataky, and Wonder Woman all did not survive their adventures in the series unscathed. But, I think the main thing that kept me from totally hating on this film is the story concentrating on Toretto's past, thus still keeping a loose embrace on the racing roots of the series which the mainstream audience abandoned interest in so long ago.

I do feel that they missed an opportunity when they showed a flashback to the Toretto brothers drag racing a '66 Dodge Charger vs. the Fox-Body Mustang. I get they wanted to show that Dominic was Team Mopar to Jakob's Team Ford, but that would've been an excellent time to throwback to the series's import tuner beginnings. It seems everyone has forgotten that Dominic started the first movie with a neon-equipped Mazda RX-7 FD, complete with a Sneeky Pete nitrous system and a bumpin' Alpine Type-S stereo setup. He wasn't always a muscle car guy!

The most frustrating scene for me was watching Jordana Brewster and Michelle Rodriguez order bowls of udon in Tokyo, but just stab at the food with their hashi over and over without eating anything. What a waste of some good food! I believe Brewster may have eaten one kamaboko slice, but that's it. I guess that's how they maintain their trim figures...

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
The Critical Drinker's short review of F9 was spot on: it is a franchise without any ideas left.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It’s been shit for many many movies now. When you’ve made more of them than Rocky’s or Rambo’s you’ve got serious fucking problems. Yet the herd keep falling for it and paying their monies. I tried to watch the last few on disc, but they were so utterly ridiculous they were turned off within 20-30 minutes. The first 3 were fun. And those first two, had it not been for Jordana Brewster carrying them for me, they would have been DOA. The first Fast and Festerment came out 20 years ago. Enough already. Once they put the Rock in there, shit became diarrhea.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've seen any after the first 4, definitely none with the Rock or Statham.

Might eventually check the series out in full, but I've got enough of a backlog on other shows/movies, that I'm in no rush.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
My favorite of the series is Fast Five, where they go to Brazil. After that they get really crazy, but the next two weren't terrible. Fate of the Furious is absolute trash, though.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First one came out when I was 16/17. Never much liked the rest after that. I had my friends kids over this past weekend and rain delayed some of the plans and I took them to see F9. They're 10 and loved it. But the movie is absolutely awful. haha

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
None of them will ever hit a 10 on the Roger Ebert scale, then again no action movies ever get awards for best screenplay, best drama, best anything.

Have they jumped the shark, absolutely, when you find Lambo's racing Submarines in a Russian port taken over by cyber criminals, and they can tell that a rocket that was just launched from a sub behind them is a "god damned heat seeker!"

First was best, stayed true to the racing theme, 2 Fast 2 Furious was still in the theme of the first and Eva Mendes, Tokyo Drift not bad, a few others were good.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m proud to say I’ve never watched even one of these dumb ass movies.

I thought they were up to Fast And Furious #37 by now? Big Grin

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Hobbs and Shaw movie, although I don't know if you can consider them part of the series but maybe a branch off. Johnson and Statham have got be great to work with as they seem like likeable,every day guys.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I just saw it with my 11 and 14 yo sons and can’t understand what you guys have against comedies?

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I know is that after these movies came out the price of tires for a Honda Civic went up 100% because so many jerk*ffs were suddenly trying to race and were blowing out tires taking sharp turns. I had to put performance tires for the car I drove 10 miles to and from work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: andronicus,

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
^ I bet you feel like a pro racer boi now, though, amirite?

posted Hide Post
Yeah, just what every 52 year old needs. Some douch*bag wearing a ski hat in July pulls up next to you at a light and wants to race. I'm in this car because it's affordable and runs forever!

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post