SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite Pre-1960 War Movie
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Pre-1960 War Movie Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
They Were Expendable

Great movie. Sink the Bismarck is also really good.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Caine Mutiny.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by festus haggen:
Run Silent, Run Deep.

this

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Twelve O'Clock High would be #1 by a fair margin. Next would be either Run Silent Run Deep or Sink The Bismarck.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
They Were Expendable

Great movie. Sink the Bismarck is also really good.

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo or The Enemy Below

I don't believe Sink the Bismarck is pre-1960. It's close, but not quite

ETA: I guess it does make it. Right on 1960

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sands Of Iwo Jima

Sergeant York

The Bridge On The River Kwai

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The Caine Mutiny.

One of my personal faves - Bogart was one hell of a good actor.

The Bridges of Toko-Ri, Pork Chop Hill and The McConnell Story can fill in my TV time any day.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Run Silent Run Deep and The Dambusters were probably my favorite but I did like To Hell and Back also.

Posts: 15 | Location: SW. Missouri | Registered: August 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12 O'clock high easy nr 1. Stalag 17, The Enemy Below, and They were expendable, which has grown on me. I sort of really like No Man is and Island, although the story differs a wee bit from reality.

For German war movies, Hunde, Wollt Ihr ewig Leben?
I like it, in large part because it portrays the heroic effort the 1st Romanian Army's effort against the initial Soviet hordes onslaught. This army actually stopped Marshal Zukov's 1st echelon attack, forcing him to commit his 2nd echelon in to combat, which was not the plan. It may have saved the German 4th Army.

Also interesting point. Notice how the Germans are portrayed in Stalag 17 and then in The Enemy Below. The former was made before West Germany's rearmament (allowed by the 3 western occupying powers) and entry in to NATO, while the later was made at about the time of West German entry in to NATO.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
For German war movies, Hunde, Wollt Ihr ewig Leben?

An excellent and fairly obscure choice. I doubt many folks on the forum have seen this.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Here are some other considerations to the very excellent ones already posted:

The Desert Fox

To Hell and Back

The Bridge on the River Kwai

The Enemy Below

The One That Got Away

Darby's Rangers

The Naked and the Dead

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Train with Bert Lancaster.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
There are a number of good ones out there. Lesser known is Retreat, Hell! [1952] with Frank Lovejoy, and Richard Carlson. Attack! [1956] Jack Palance, William Smithers, and Lee Marvin. Halls Of Montezuma [1951] Richard Widmark, Richard Boone, and Jack Webb. The Bridges At Toko-Ri [1954] William Holden, Mickey Rooney, and Frederick March.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Casablanca
Stalag 17

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16696 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brown on Resolution, Sailor of the King; same story, different movies, based on C.S.Forester novel Brown on Resolution.
One man with a rifle keeps a German battle cruiser from finishing repairs while anchored in a small rock island bay, and eventually the British pursuers catch up and sink the battle cruiser. Classic story of how one person can make a difference.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Sahara
Casablanca

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Gone With The Wind

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Another nod for Run Silent, Run Deep

Sahara (with Bogart)
Northwest Passage
Casablanca
Forty Thousand Horsemen
The Desert Rats

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Bridge on the River Kwai was great...

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Dawn Patrol, 1938. Errol Flynn

Objective Burma, 1945. Errol Flynn.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post