SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Netflix Movie Recommendation: The Forgotten Battle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix Movie Recommendation: The Forgotten Battle Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Movie about the Battle of the Scheldt, October 2 - November 9, 1944. The Allies had the port of Antwerp thanks to Belgian Resistance Forces, and held by the British 11th Armored Division. Antwerp was import as a deep-water port for supplying all the the Allied effort in northern Europe, but…it could not be accessed by Allied shipping until the River Scheldt, which connects Antwerp to the North Sea was taken. This was largely a Canadian First Army show, and casualties were high.

This is another “based on a true story” movie, and I don’t know how much of the accompanying storyline can be counted on. The movie focuses on a few characters: a Dutch family who members include a physician and a son involved with the resistance. A British Army paratrooper who crash lands a glider in the area, a German soldier who is Dutch.

Wiki says this battle was yet another of Montgomery’s fuck ups, caused by his focus on Market Garden and ignoring the importance of securing the Scheldt and the port of Antwerp for his own selfish reasons—-despite orders to the contrary.

I think it’s worth your time. The Forgotten Battle

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I watched this last night and enjoyed it.

Some good battle scenes and the characters were believable.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
I also watched it last night and I'd recommend it. It is really a character study of how the battle affected 3 individuals. I believe it was written and shot for the Dutch/Belgium market so the pacing is a little different than most Americans are used to but it is never the less well worth watching.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I recommend it also. Very well done.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Put it on my list. Watched the preview and had some doubts. Will now watch based on this thread.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Watched it today. Good show

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder. I’d seen the trailer some time back but completely forgot about it, other than remembering there was something coming out on Oct 15th that I wanted to see. Will watch it this weekend with the wife.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
GF and I both enjoyed it.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Watched it two nights ago, was very good..Different...

Posts: 2301 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have it on my watch list. Thanks for the review s.

Posts: 40 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: September 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched it. Very good. The combat scenes were well done. Panzerfaust versus T-34!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. Watched it last night and enjoyed it.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
I watched and like it myself

Posts: 1535 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendation. Well worth watching.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night. Even my wife enjoyed it, and she's generally not fond of war movies.

Sadly, the dialog audio is terrible and they don't subtitle the English, so we found the English-speaking characters difficult to follow.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. Highly recommend it.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched it a few weeks ago and thought it was great.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Ran across this movie while searching for things to download for my time on the ship this go around. Just finished watching it. Quite a good WWII movie I thought. Yes, definitely worth your time.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post