SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Anybody into mini bikes?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody into mini bikes? Login/Join 
posted
My son in law’s, has a few tweaks on a Harbor Freight engine, 212 predator I think. It will go 50 in a hurry, he had to add the long swing arm to stop the take off wheelies. He’s about the size of a jockey (130# +/-) so that didn’t help.

Posts: 3597 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had them when I was a kid. Parents bought a mini bike and go cart out of the Sears catalog. Great fun, great memories. Once I retire- should be about a year- and get a little land, plan on getting an atv and a mini bike for some fun and to feel young again.

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
That looks like great fun!

I always wanted a minibike but never got one. But I did have a dream a couple weeks ago where I did have a minibike. I'd come out from wherever I was and somebody had stolen the engine. Mad

Now back to our scheduled discussion...

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just restored a vintage ARCO Easy Rider with a 3HP B&S, it was all original and in great condition, stripped the frame and powder coated it Mopar Plum Crazy. Painted the motor, wheels and such. 1963 Briggs fired right up when I was finished.
My first motorized two wheels was a similar mini bike that someone gave my dad when I was a kid. I painted it, took off the muffler and screwed in a piece of straight black pipe, rode that thing all over the So Cal neighborhood.

Posts: 424 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Donut [YT channel] did a small series where they tried to get one up to 100mph.
IIRC, they got close but not quite. Even with a full aero body shell.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Not since the early '60s.

Things are different, nowadays...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43900 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Always wanted one as a kid, couldn't afford one then and even if we could, no way would my parents approve.
Of course that only made me want one more.
Had to settle for riding someone else's, on the QT of course. Smile

The day I rode home on my new Yamaha 250 (Sr. in HS) ~ they were not happy, but oh well. Cool

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Always wanted one as a kid, couldn't afford one then and even if we could, no way would my parents approve.
Of course that only made me want one more.
Had to settle for riding someone else's, on the QT of course. Smile

Similar experience, rode the neighbors Sears Special, a Honda 50, Trail 70, and Yamaha 125, all belonging to others in the neighborhood.

Parents always said no to buying one for us boys, meaning me. Didn't stop me either...

Probably why I'm still riding today....

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I had a mini bike with a lawnmower engine many years ago. It was a ton of fun.

I don’t know if this counts as a mini bike but a customer rode this Honda Grom to the bike shop today. He was kind enough to let me test ride his Grom around the parking lot. It was soooooooo much FUN!!!! Today was the first time I’ve ridden a Grom. It exceeded sky high expectations. Big Grin I totally understand how Honda managed to sell so many Groms over the years. What a fun little moto!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Honda Monkey, you are right, so much fun.

Posts: 424 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:
I just restored a vintage ARCO Easy Rider with a 3HP B&S, it was all original and in great condition, stripped the frame and powder coated it Mopar Plum Crazy. Painted the motor, wheels and such. 1963 Briggs fired right up when I was finished.
My first motorized two wheels was a similar mini bike that someone gave my dad when I was a kid. I painted it, took off the muffler and screwed in a piece of straight black pipe, rode that thing all over the So Cal neighborhood.

Phil asked me to host and post his bike pictures....

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We had one similar to the purple one above, with a lawnmower engine [5hp B&S or something like that] on it.
Fun, but not fast.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Not a mini bike but I consider my Zuma 125 pretty close. It’s fun getting it sideways around the neighborhood. It’s still stock but will do 60 mph. I have a top box on the back of it and the under seat storage is pretty big. I took it up to the grocery store one year for fun. Bought a 12 pack of beer and 2-3 bags of groceries. I put the beer in the top box and I was putting the groceries away when a man walked out who had parked closed to me. He was driving a Suburban. He asked “what does that get to the gallon?” I replied “80, but the way I ride it probably 60, maybe 70”. I’ll never forget his response “Son of a bitch! I’m lucky to get 15 out of this fucking thing and it’s killing me”.

This was when gas was above four bucks a gallon. That guy was seriously pissed off. Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I wasn't allowed to have a mini bike as a child as my father was afraid that having one could lead to me wanting a motorcycle when I got older. But I had a Honda Monkey a few years ago, it was just a little too under powered and the suspension was poor. Better shocks helped but not enough and the front was harsh riding too. They're fine for riding on smooth roads with 45 mph speed limits though. Barb rode it some to learn on (no not dressed like that) it's just the only pic I have of it.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Used to make ours out of a 20" bike frame, ape-hanger handlebars, banana seat, 20" bike wheel on the front, 3/4 plywood for the motor mount, centripital clutch, 72 tooth sprocket on a small wheel at the back and a 3HP Briggs lawnmower motor. "Shoes" for brakes! Had that Easy Rider look. Great fun and a learning experience! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post