SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Rolling Stones vs The Beatles
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rolling Stones vs The Beatles Login/Join 
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Both are good but I’d give the edge to the Beatles granted I wasn’t alive during their time.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Not keen on the Beatles. Stones for me

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
So many beloved movies or TV series have a Stones track in there somewhere. Not so with the Beatles.
That's just an observation, but I've long thought it implies a certain superiority.

Actually it may be the opposite.

It has long been known in the film and marketing world that it has always been very difficult to license an actual Beatles song into a film TV show, or commercial. In the past, it was not too much of a problem to get rights to a song and have others perform it since McCartney did not own the publishing, which apparently changed in 2017. But to get use of the actual recordings goes through a tough process of approval by McCartney, Yoko Ono, Ringo, and Olivia Harrison. And apparently the prevailing opinion of all parties is that they do not want to dilute their property. The Beatles brand is one of the most lucrative ones in show business.

Beatles stuff is hard to get permission for, accepted.
Now then, take the Stones song out of one of your faves and put a beatles tune in its place.
If it still works for you just as well then I guess we're just that much different. Smile

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
The Beatles hold their position in history, no doubt. Actually thought that recent movie "Yesterday" (2019) actually showcased a lot of their enduring messaging in their music very well. Clearly not a great live band.

The Stones will always have that "edge" over the Beatles. Initial stuff way cool. Uneven since.

The Who, plain and simple, in "the day" blew both of them off the map when performing live and, when at their best, in the discussion of greatest live bands in history. Unfortunately, Moon's addiction problems and demons after he hit Kim and she left took a massive toll on the band, its performances some nights (look up a drummer named Halpin), and ultimately the life and direction of the band.

There is also a basis for direct comparison between the Stones and the Who performing live. The Stones, Clapton, the Who and others got together and did a video recorded performance set over 2 days called "The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus". The Stones organized it, in 1968. Jagger was jealous that the Who outperformed the Stones and so sat on the masters until it was finally released in 1996.

From someone who knew them all, the director of Rock and Roll Circus, Michale Lindsay-Hogg said, "the Beatles wrote about love, the Rolling Stones wrote about sex, and Pete [The Who] wrote about society". That's as good a summary as I've ever seen it put.

Each of the three of them for those three elements could be considered pillars of rock and roll. Live performance, each at their peak? Hands down, the Who. Top 1/3 of live shows? The Who. To be entirely honest... the one who could have the show most fall apart? Also the Who. But still, the greatest live -> the Who.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
The Beatles hold their position in history, no doubt. Actually thought that recent movie "Yesterday" (2019) actually showcased a lot of their enduring messaging in their music very well. Clearly not a great live band.

The Stones will always have that "edge" over the Beatles. Initial stuff way cool. Uneven since.

The Who, plain and simple, in "the day" blew both of them off the map when performing live and, when at their best, in the discussion of greatest live bands in history. Unfortunately, Moon's addiction problems and demons after he hit Kim and she left took a massive toll on the band, its performances some nights (look up a drummer named Halpin), and ultimately the life and direction of the band.

There is also a basis for direct comparison between the Stones and the Who performing live. The Stones, Clapton, the Who and others got together and did a video recorded performance set over 2 days called "The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus". The Stones organized it, in 1968. Jagger was jealous that the Who outperformed the Stones and so sat on the masters until it was finally released in 1996.

From someone who knew them all, the director of Rock and Roll Circus, Michale Lindsay-Hogg said, "the Beatles wrote about love, the Rolling Stones wrote about sex, and Pete [The Who] wrote about society". That's as good a summary as I've ever seen it put.

Each of the three of them for those three elements could be considered pillars of rock and roll. Live performance, each at their peak? Hands down, the Who. Top 1/3 of live shows? The Who. To be entirely honest... the one who could have the show most fall apart? Also the Who. But still, the greatest live -> the Who.

The version of Sympathy for the Devil on RnR Circus is absolutely the best thing about that show... better than anything The Who did on there. Lennon sounded great on Yer Blues with Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix) on the drums.

The Who were amazing though. Absolutely top 5.(Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd)

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
So many beloved movies or TV series have a Stones track in there somewhere. Not so with the Beatles.
That's just an observation, but I've long thought it implies a certain superiority.

Actually it may be the opposite.

It has long been known in the film and marketing world that it has always been very difficult to license an actual Beatles song into a film TV show, or commercial. In the past, it was not too much of a problem to get rights to a song and have others perform it since McCartney did not own the publishing, which apparently changed in 2017. But to get use of the actual recordings goes through a tough process of approval by McCartney, Yoko Ono, Ringo, and Olivia Harrison. And apparently the prevailing opinion of all parties is that they do not want to dilute their property. The Beatles brand is one of the most lucrative ones in show business.

Beatles stuff is hard to get permission for, accepted.
Now then, take the Stones song out of one of your faves and put a beatles tune in its place.
If it still works for you just as well then I guess we're just that much different. Smile
Stones are in iconic moments in movies because a guy named Martin Scorcese is obsessed with them.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about Beatles in the studio and the sones on stage.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The Beatles kept upping the ante with every album. I.E. Using Sitars and Full orchestras in rock music. There is not a hint of comparison to who was more talented in writing.
The Stones are just rock, with little of anything else involved.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even though I was technically alive and kicking during both their rise to stardom/fame/influence/whatever, during most of the 60s I was kinda too young to actually know, care or give a hoot. When I finally did mature enough to begin to comprehend what 60s music was about, I was more interested in acts/artists like Jimi Hendrix, Allman Bros., Santana, Cream and Deep Purple than either the Beatles or the Stones. In the 70s I did listen to music by both but the Stones were still active and the Beatles were more a historic thing to me by then. I'd probably say that the Beatles and their creativity were more interesting, but the Stones' style of music was more identifiable to most everything else I was listening to at the time...at least until they started screwing around with disco-friendly beats and such in the late 70s. They pretty much lost me at that point.

-MG

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

I absolutely have no beef with the Stones, hell, I have every album of their's until Some Girls (IMO the last good Stones album). I know Scorsese loved using their songs, and does a great job. But the Beatles can be effective in a gangster film as well Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k6ZT3mN5Zc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5wi9jOl9Uo

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
Yeah I agree. I thought the Ten Commandments of Love was a nice kicker here.

I will confess I did become rather annoyed when the Stones music was used to sell cars and other products. It sort of took away the more pleasant memories their songs used to bring. Still "Satisfaction" brings me some special memories of my teen years.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
Not keen on the Beatles. Stones for me

I agree ^

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I'm not a big fan of either, but I'd have to say that the Beatles were more innovative, creative and impactful on the music that came after them. From song structure and composition to music engineering and production to fashion and image, the Beatles were far more important to the music world than the Stones.

this,

not a fan of either,

both had a few good songs that I like,

I do think the Beatles influenced more bands than the Stones,

and I do like some of McCartneys later stuff

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Never liked the Beatles, I have liked some Stones' songs; so Rolling Stones for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
You Beatles fans ought to check out The Analogues on youtube.

The Analogues are a Dutch tribute act to The Beatles. Founded in 2014, the Analogues' ambition has been to perform The Beatles' music from their later studio years live, using analogue and period-correct instrumentation. From the start the Analogues have distinguished themselves by performing songs and whole albums live, which The Beatles themselves never played live; supported by brass and strings. Appearance-wise the band makes no effort to look like The Beatles, but they are called masters at recreating and reproducing the original sound.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post