SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Adam Gussow can play....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adam Gussow can play.... Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
I downloaded his blues harp lessons about 18 months ago and have communicated with him for guidance several times. Great guy and extremely talented. Playing the harp is like singing in my opinion.It takes a lot of wind and I just don't have it anymore. I have learned to play some riffs fairly well but I know my limitations. Him on the other hand....

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yep. (That's "Thunky Fing")

Adam is a pretty neat guy.

We met years ago, when he first started "giving it all away" on Youtube.

He and Sterling Magee were quite a deal in Harlem back long ago.

He's a professor in Missisippi and has a worldwide following of people who have picked up the harp.

Christelle Berthon, Jason Ricci and a lot of folks have done quite a fine job in their own journeys. And experiencing their work in progress was a very special thing.

Thanks for posting this. Smile

sigmonkey (aka "harpmonkey")

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yes Sterling Magee. Him and Adam in a Swatch commercial in the 80's.

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Adam had some balls. To roll up in Harlem and just do what he did.

Reminded me of "Lightning" (Ralph Macchiao) in Crossroads. No idea of what he was walking into, but the burning in his soul to be released in the thing we call, the Blues...

Yeah. He made his bones, and his "deal" and yet, kept his soul.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But then there is this shit that comes from him..I'm multi cultural and my best friend is black so the rest of you are neo nationalist..damn dude couldn't just be happy and talented could ya...

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
(sad, and) Typical of those who in later life, regret not having stayed true to their beginning and who the "were". Yeah, he started the journey real and raw, then walked away from it in pursuit of the things he was "told" were "important", and later realized he only had a taste. So, he pours all this "relativism/progressive/historical negationism" into his current reality in an attempt to re-write what he missed all these years. It is sad, yet many people I grew up with have done this.

Funny, I ran into some people I new nearly 50 years ago, who I barely recognize and after some discussion, they said. "Damn, son! you haven't changed a bit!" Yeah. Thank God.

I still recall a guy (Simon, in 1978) saying: "You know what you are? You are an iconoclast!" (and I had no idea what that was, had to look it up...)

Lemme smash your idols. LOL

That said, it does not change his influence and the experience, only his state of mind. :/

After all, it ain't nuthin' but the blues...