SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Question Re: O Brother, Where Art Thou? (Picnic Scene)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question Re: O Brother, Where Art Thou? (Picnic Scene) Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
During the picnic scene, why did Everett sit back and aloofly ignore "Big Dan" Teague pummeling Delmar's ass with a tree branch? I've watched this film several times but have never understood the meaning or symbolism of the Clooney character's indifference in this scene.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Odysseus observes while Polyphemus kills and eats 1/2 dozen of his men.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Everett wasn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, and seemed so enthralled he was just trying to figure out what Dan was really on about.

Or, that's how I took it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

My summation as well.

One of my favorite movies.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I do love that movie. I wrote a whole Cowboy Action Shooting match around it!

Gopher Everett?

We Thought You Was a TOAD!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The Coen brothers borrowed from earlier films, most obviously the 'Wizard of Oz' KKK rally. IMO, the cyclops beating scene was also a nod to Paper Moon. A lying Bible salesman... hmmm. The Coens said that the idea for O Brother was inspired by Preston Sturges' film, Sullivan's Travels. I bought Sullivan's Travels and it is enjoyable.

This gent did a comparison of similar scenes in the two films.

https://youtu.be/ktakbzPPXZ0

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to re-watch this film. I too have wondered why Everett had that dumbass grin while Teague kicked the snot out of his friends. Literary reference makes complete sense.

"Do not seek the treasure!"

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Have a good friend a number of years ago that asked me and another friend to come help him on a major repair job.... 3 days into it we were stuck and did not know how to proceed, the night before we had watched Oh Brother Where Art Thou.... right in the middle of the job my buddy turned to us and said, "We're in a tight spot now boys!" It is now our catch phrase.....

My other favorite line from that movie:

"We thought they loved you up and turned you into a Horny Toad"

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna r-u-n-n-o-f-t!

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

My summation as well.

One of my favorite movies.

Thanks gentlemen. That puts it into clear perspective for me.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the whole movie was awful and that Clooney seemed horribly miscast. He doesn't do comedy well .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I thought the whole movie was awful and that Clooney seemed horribly miscast. He doesn't do comedy well .

Huh?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post