SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movie trope question regarding lost artwork.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie trope question regarding lost artwork. Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So we’ve all seen the movies or TV shows that center around long lost artwork (stolen by the Nazi’s or whatever)

So using the stolen by the Nazi’s idea as that most certainly happened, what happens if you find a long lost Rembrandt or whatever hidden in your walls or some such. After so much time is it “yours” so to speak? Is there a “statute of limitations” at play or would it be asked to be relinquished etc.

I just happened to be watching “one of those” movies and it got me thinking.

Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Also I doubt I’ll have this problem in my 2019 built house but hey who knows one day. Smile Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Years ago they were tearing down some old buildings in town and they discovered Morgan dollars, etc. type coins left in the walls. Probably left there by those who built the building. I myself have taken on that tradition and whenever I have "wall" work or some other type of hidden remodel work, will place coins or treasures in the void before it's patched back up.

Maybe someday it will be a treasure to whomever finds it.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Items stolen always go back to the original owner, even if it is the next of kin. The descendants just need to show a claim. As for stolen Nazi art, there is a whole industry to establish claims, and when art comes to the surface, get it to the rightful owners. Art is identifiable since originals will have a provenance and can be tracked.

The fun argument would be items that cannot be traced. Say you are hiking in the German/Austrian Alps. You climb a hill for a better view, find a small cave, and inside you find a crate with a couple bars of gold. The only identifier is the Nazi Eagle/Swastika stamped on the bar. Since there is no way to identify the owner(s) of the gold, which likely was melted and re-cast by the Germans, so the original owners will be impossible to locate. Then the laws of the nation will dictate who gets the gold.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post