SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "Thirteen Lives" on Prime-The Thailand boys soccer team cave rescue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Thirteen Lives" on Prime-The Thailand boys soccer team cave rescue Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
I thought the movie was very well done. I also learned quite a bit about the rescue that I hadn't previously known.

Has a pretty decent cast as well with Viggo Mortensen, Colin Farrell, and Joel Edgerton.

Directed by Ron Howard. Worth a watch if you have a spare two and half hours. Yeah, it's a long movie but not too much fluff.

No cameo by Elon Musk though. Wink

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
No cameo by Elon Musk though. Wink

I was half-expecting that, too ...

Yeah, I never heard of the effort by that Thai-American water engineer to basically dam any inlet on the mountain, and the farmers in the valley surrendering their harvest to the rerouted flood. Good movie which took care to be authentic. I particularly liked Mortensen's performance as a gruff-bordering-on-cookie-stealing-asshole rescuer. "I don't even like kids."

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Ha! He literally was a cookie stealing asshole actually.

The fact that the rescuers sedated the kids to get them out is something I never knew. I always wondered how they kept them calm enough to get them out. Well now I know.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I watched it and enjoyed it. I also didnt know about the water diversion or the sedation.

Underwater cave diving is some crazy shit.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a good flick, very well done.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I just watched it last night. I thought all the underwater scenes were long and maybe getting on 'fast forward' time but then I realized why they were there. 7-miles they had to go underwater in the cave to get to the kids! All the underwater scenes then really hit home. 7-miles is along time to be winding your way thru the cave under water. Good movie and wells done.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Incredible story. Riveting movie.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
British divers John Volanthen and Richard Stanton found the group alive on an elevated rock about 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) from the cave mouth.

No less incredible, but just for accuracy. Still, 5 miles round trip. Mind boggling.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We enjoyed the movie. I remembered it my wife didn’t at all. I remember somehow Elon Musk mouthing off but the details of the sedation I did not recall. For some weird reason I thought they came out encased in a small cylinder device. Clearly I wasn’t paying enough attention.

I’ve been in some caves. Luray in VA, some in Oregon (?), I hate them. I can honestly say you will never have to rescue me from one. Terrifying.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We thought it was an outstanding movie. There’s been well-deserved, IMO, Oscars buzz. And they’ve got their quota of “people of color” in the movie. Wink

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a couple of discussion that are available, providing some perspective from the USAF PJ's who were apart of this effort. Some good insight

More formal presentation:

A more relaxed discussion:

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
A while back, I watched the National Geographic documentary "The Rescue" that was made last year. It was filmed as it happened and was outstanding!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tooky13,

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished it last night, pretty good. Its a Ron Howard movie, kept the script tight, just enough exposition so that most audience can pick-up on what's happening.

I wished they had emphasized the time in/under water, reading through some of the reports was pretty remarkable how long they were on air. The other issue that may have been under played was the logistical effort, of moving and staging of air bottles in/out of the various chambers, a truly herculean effort that I don't think came through on the screen. Overall a good movie.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
A while back, I watched the National Geographic documentary "The Rescue" that was made last year. It was filmed as it happened and was outstanding!

We watched the Rescue after watching the movie. It was gut wrenching to hear the anesthesiologist explain the challenges of sedating the boys. He felt that he would likely kill them or put them in a position to be killed. Remarkably, they all survived.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Watched it today, excellent. The seriousness of the situation was palpable. The rescue divers from England felt initially there was little hope of getting them out alive.

With all the nonsense on, it’s very remarkable. I don’t even care if ‘artistic license’ was used for the film.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I watched it last night and enjoyed it. Had me on the edge of my seat during some of the dive scenes. Damn! Can't imagine doing that. I wouldn't say I'm totally claustrophobic, but holy shit.... Lots of details I wasn't aware of at all. Good movie!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We watched it last night. Really well done.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
The movie was pretty good. The documentary was excellent!

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post