SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Watched Bohemien Rapsody Again...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watched Bohemien Rapsody Again... Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
And as someone who was fortunate enough to see Queen live twice from first and third row center, Malik gets the mannerisms right and hats off to May and Taylor to show just how close the band was and how much they loved and trusted Mercury.

Definitely worth owning.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I thought they did a good job capturing the band members and the way the world was working during those years...

Mike Myers added a nice touch...

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The 4k disc was really good. 4k HDR and it's in Atmos so great sound from the overhead speakers really filling in the soundstage.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I watched it last night again for about the 6th time.

Sometimes I just FF to the music parts...

Yes I like the Movie Wink

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3474 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I thought it was interesting, and the actor portraying Mercury seemed to be dead on.

To be fair, while I like Queen, I am not a rabid fan. I thought this movie was good, but not one I would ever watch twice. A solid 7 on a 10 scale.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:

Knowing the actor sung the parts, during Live Aid each band was allotted 20 min (it's also mentioned in the film). If you pause the movie when Queen takes the stage, there's about 26 minutes left in the movie. Pause again when they finish their set and there's about 5 minutes of the movie remaining.

Just food for thought, and without access to the actual performance, I suspect the movie is true to the actual performance.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:

Knowing the actor sung the parts, during Live Aid each band was allotted 20 min (it's also mentioned in the film). If you pause the movie when Queen takes the stage, there's about 26 minutes left in the movie. Pause again when they finish their set and there's about 5 minutes of the movie remaining.

Just food for thought, and without access to the actual performance, I suspect the movie is true to the actual performance.

If you watch the xtras on the dvd, they explain the final concert was a shot for shot,real time, exact reenactment. Shoes, half drunk pepsicups on the piano, everything. Very detailed.

Edited to add, the dvd has the actual performance as an extra. Also, youtube has the actual concert.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
I don't know how to embed, but here's a video running the movie side by side with actual concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cH5htm6T4E

Posts: 2120 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffxjet:
I don't know how to embed

Here you go:

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffxjet:
I don't know how to embed

Here you go:

Wow. That was impressive.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have only seen it once but also thought it was very well done, though I don’t particularly care for the changing/embellishing of real life events to spice up the story.

The most surprising part of the movie is the actor playing John Deacon (Joe Mazzello) was the little boy in Jurassic Park!

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I'm a big Queen fan, but have no desire to see this film, even on HBO. I'm just not interested in their off-stage lives, and there are enough concert video clips to satisfy me, including their Live Aid performance. I'd rather see the real thing. Their live Montreal concert film is more than enough for me.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I'm a big Queen fan, but have no desire to see this film, even on HBO. I'm just not interested in their off-stage lives, and there are enough concert video clips to satisfy me, including their Live Aid performance. I'd rather see the real thing. Their live Montreal concert film is more than enough for me.

You are doing yourself a disservice then. The vast majority of the movie was about the band and how they worked together and made the amazing music that was Queen.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
quote:
The most surprising part of the movie is the actor playing John Deacon (Joe Mazzello) was the little boy in Jurassic Park!

I don't know whether this has been discussed before, but even more interesting is that in The Pacific, Malek played SNAFU, and Mazzello played Sledge. I wonder how tight a bond these two actors must have, given what must be extraordinarily intense experiences, both physically and emotionally, filming these two projects.

ETA: I saw Queen in 1981 at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum. I didn't have great seats and some hazy recollections, but I do remember there being lots of empty seats around me. And I remember the band walking back stage for the operatic section of Bohemian Rhapsody, then coming out for May's guitar riff.

Finally, I remember thinking what on Earth would these guys to in Gulfport/Biloxi after the show. Now, I figure they just went on to NOLA to have fun.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are doing yourself a disservice then. The vast majority of the movie was about the band and how they worked together and made the amazing music that was Queen.

Still not interested. If it was a well done documentary, perhaps yeah. But a bunch of actors play acting? Nope, it seems a little odd to me, sorry.

I am not too fond of the biopic genre, especially with modern contemporary entertainers who have been in the public eye for years. Now, I thought Amadeus was exceptional, one of the few biopics I liked. But Mozart is an ancient figure, no video or film clips of him, no TV interviews, no photographs. Nothing to compare Tom Hulce's performance against. And hard to create a compelling documentary.

Much rather watch something like The Last Waltz, a mixture of great concert footage and interviews, all with the real McCoys.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I thought pretty much the same but decided to give it a shot and it was worth my time.

I saw Queen live while on their live album tour, was it live killers? It was very good but for the way too long May and Mercury solos as far as,i can remember.
While not a hardcore fan, i think the movie is quite good. I am particularly not fond of the main actor. I simply can't stand the sight of him. I've avoided Mr. Robot and everything else with him. But he was fine playing Freddy. The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was one song (fat bottomed girls or another from the Jazz album) played too early in the film.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:

Still not interested. If it was a well done documentary, perhaps yeah. But a bunch of actors play acting? Nope, it seems a little odd to me, sorry.

I am not too fond of the biopic genre, especially with modern contemporary entertainers who have been in the public eye for years. Now, I thought Amadeus was exceptional, one of the few biopics I liked. But Mozart is an ancient figure, no video or film clips of him, no TV interviews, no photographs. Nothing to compare Tom Hulce's performance against. And hard to create a compelling documentary.

Much rather watch something like The Last Waltz, a mixture of great concert footage and interviews, all with the real McCoys.

As my kid says to me...” I hear a lot of words dad”...in this case excuses.
It’s a solid movie.
It’ll find you on the airplane, or hotel stay on day.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was never a huge Queen fan, but heard it often enough. I would say I only started to appreciate it in the last five years, and that was mostly due to generally appreciating the "old people music" (ie, my brothers and sisters) from my childhood. As a matter of fact, I didn't even really know a lot of those songs were Queen songs back then. But back then I didn't really know the BeeGees were guys and that Steven Tyler and Mick Jagger were different people either.

But after watching the movie, I also realized I had only heard the music before on my car radio, and generally with the windows down. Hearing it on a theatre system, with the remastered studio recordings they used in the movie made me realize what good music it actually was. That and rewatching Flash Gordon.

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I saw them live in 1981. I certainly didn't have front row seats.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post