SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    PLEX: Do you run a server?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PLEX: Do you run a server? Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted
I do, and I’d love to trade access with any fellow SigForumites. It’s a fairly simple setup, just an M1 Mac Mini backed up by an old Synology DS1010+ NAS. I have 1G/1G fiber now though so I’m not terribly concerned about giving out access to some fellow Plexers.

I will mention though that I have four kids 14 and under, so my movies and shows aren’t super diverse. I’ll drop shows on there for 6 months or so as my wife and I work through them, but ultimately if they’re garbage, I’ll delete them.

Does anyone think Para would benefit from an invite? I feel like he might enjoy access to the stuff we all keep around.

Thoughts?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Had one for a bit but my storage drives are several years old and aren’t used to being run constantly. I need to transfer my stuff to a new drive.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 servers.
2nd one is offsite backup & since I have slow-ass internet at home, I can stream from it when needed (not often).

Home server stats:
1:24 PM :: MCM: 2,102 movie titles and 104 T.V. titles

Offsite server has slightly less, haven't backed up for a few months.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do. I started with a media center PC from a first gen i5 setup and now have upgraded twice to a legit server setup. My bottleneck is the only internet available in my area is AT&T regular. (not fiber) Not great......

“Everybody's got plans...until they get hit.” Mike Tyson

Posts: 280 | Location: OC, CA | Registered: January 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been running Plex since 2008. I bought a lifetime Plex pass when they were first offered. Money well spent.

I started with a second gen mac mini connected to a drobo via FireWire. In 2012 I switched to a quad core third gen mac mini that gave up the ghost just a month ago. Moved it to an intel nuc windows computer connected to a usb drobo that replaced the original FireWire array some years ago.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I’ve installed it and messed with it but I don’t get the point of using it.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got into it because back in the day I had stacks of dvd’s and boxes of home movies and I got sick of the clutter, not to mention the occasional destroyed disk when the young children got hold of one. I ripped all the disks and digitized all the home movies over time and started streaming them to Roku devices on every tv. Even in the age of streaming services, we’ve still got content in our Plex library that we can’t find streaming.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek:
I got into it because back in the day I had stacks of dvd’s and boxes of home movies and I got sick of the clutter, not to mention the occasional destroyed disk when the young children got hold of one. I ripped all the disks and digitized all the home movies over time and started streaming them to Roku devices on every tv. Even in the age of streaming services, we’ve still got content in our Plex library that we can’t find streaming.
That makes sense.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I’ve installed it and messed with it but I don’t get the point of using it.

1. I can't stream reliably (although Plex is starting to gravitate towards streaming, they are rock solid with local media).
2. No ads, trailers, FBI warnings, ETC
3. Download to phones/tablets. Kindle Fire + mSD card = 50+ movies for the kid while on the road. My then-3yo got an "Iron Butt" award last year driving ~14hrs to FL.
4. If plex can get access to streaming content through it's native interface, it will be much better to use vs multiple various streaming platforms.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I know Plex is a decent software but I never have had the desire to create a video library.
Partially because I don't like to watch movies/shows over and over again and partially the enormous space to house especially in HD or 4K format.
Unlike Audio where I do like to repeat listening and and as a bonus the storage space is manageable.
Even so today Hi-Res streaming is available in audio with Tidal, Qobuz and others to increase listening titles.
Of course streaming video is uber-extensive now days too.
Just never had the desire for personal video streaming.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unlike Audio where I do like to repeat listening and and as a bonus the storage space is manageable.

That's a great point. I actually run my Music library, sorted by Artist\Album (Year), through my Plex server. A couple of my friends will use my audio library through their home stereos via Roku or Apple TV or something (Plex app).

The online services are great but sometimes they deem it necessary to remove access to music, an example of this being Mark Knopfler's later albums were removed from Spotify at one point. Squabbles between record companies and lawyers can't interfere with a locally owned copy.

(To be fair too, managing a video library can be a PITA sometimes.)

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I had one years ago using a Mac Mini. That Mini became obsolete unfortunately.
I may buy another.
I still buy lots of DVDs and BluRays all get ripped as soon as I open the package.

What is the minimum Mac Mini I would need to run Plex these days?
Would this do it?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23458...r=artemis&media=COPY

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ran mine on a 2012 mac mini for a decade. It was a quad core i7, but without doing a cpu benchmark comparison and depending on the content you put in your library, I’d say probably yes. I don't have any 4k content in my library and even my 1080p stuff was compressed and my server never had to do any transcoding to lower resolutions which is more cpu intensive.

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
An intel Mac Mini would probably work but a base M1 unit will draw far less power, and Plex says they have an official ARM version for Mac coming soon.

YMMV

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
An intel Mac Mini would probably work but a base M1 unit will draw far less power, and Plex says they have an official ARM version for Mac coming soon.

YMMV

Not sure what that means.

————————————————

Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Kind of amazing how many others are also using Mac Mini's to run Plex. Seems to be a really popular choice! I've been running on various Mini's over the years.

Another way for the geek types to run it is in Docker containers. I've got a docker compose script I can give out that makes it really easy to deploy Plex with radarr, sonarr, jackett, and other apps for managing video libraries.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K0ZZZ:
Kind of amazing how many others are also using Mac Mini's to run Plex. Seems to be a really popular choice! I've been running on various Mini's over the years.

Plex started as a port of XBMC (now Kodi) for Mac in 2007 and the Mac mini was the perfect platform for it. Back in 2008 My plex box was direct connected to our main tv. A huge improvement over the stacks of disks, but a far cry from where it is now.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K0ZZZ:

Another way for the geek types to run it is in Docker containers. I've got a docker compose script I can give out that makes it really easy to deploy Plex with radarr, sonarr, jackett, and other apps for managing video libraries.

My 1st intro to Plex was probably 2010 and I was using a 2006 Mac Mini.
I used it for a number of years.
That Mac Mini I still have and it still works just so obsolete can’t really do anything with it.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Another use case for plex was live tv and dvr. It even stripped out commercials really well. Thanks t the channel AntennaTV, I recorded every episode of some old tv shows. Even my kids enjoyed Perry Mason.