SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite Foreign Films with clear subtitles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Foreign Films with clear subtitles Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
If you can find Le pere Noel est une ordure (Santa is a stinker(?)), original french version NOT the american terrible remake, it’s one of the top funniest comedies i’ve ever seen. A Xmas time must see. French comedie at its best.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
La Dolce Vita by Fellini

The 400 Blows by Truffaut

Yojimbo by Kurosawa

Also Cinema Paradiso. The last foreign film I saw was Parasite and I liked it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
My favorite is “Life Is Beautiful” (Italian).

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Czech
Saxana, Girl on a Broomstick
Tomorrow I Will Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea
How to Drown Dr. Mracek, the Lawyer
Once Upon a Time, There was a King
The Proud Princess

Japanese
The Human Condition
Rashomon
Seven Samurai
Hidden Fortress
Ran
Kagemusha
Throne of Blood
Sanjuro
Yojimbo
I Live in Fear
Red Beard
The Lower Depths
The Idiot
Stray Dogs
Ugetsu
Sansho the Bailiff
Life of Oharu
The Story of the Last Chysthanthemum
Sisters of the Gion
47 Ronin
Five Men of Edo
The Third Shadow Warrior
Ikiru
Scandal
One Wonderful Sunday
The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail
Drunken Angel
Onibaba
High and Low
Isoroku
Shogun's Samurai
Three Outlaw Samurai
Hari Kari
Dodaskaden
Osaka Elegy
Street of Shame
Godzilla

French
Black Orpheus
Orpheus
Beauty and the Beast
The Blood of a Poet
Battle of Algiers

Norsk
Troll Hunter

Russian
War and Peace

Kung Fu
Drunken Master
Ring of Death
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Dance of the Drunken Mantis
Story of Drunken Master
Drunken Master, Slippery Snake
Drunken Arts, Crippled Fist
Mystery of Chess Boxing
World of Drunken Master
Five Deadly Venoms
Return of Five Deadly Venoms
The Eight Masters
Crippled Masters

Italian
The Bicycle Thieves

Brazil
Elite Squad I
Elite Squad II
City of God

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
If you can find Le pere Noel est une ordure (Santa is a stinker(?)), original french version NOT the american terrible remake, it’s one of the top funniest comedies i’ve ever seen. A Xmas time must see. French comedie at its best.

0-0

If we're going for French comedy, we must include "La Grande Vadrouille" in the French-German-English original (including everyone attempting to converse in the respective other languages). Louis de Funes is his usual hysterical self while trying to help a British aircrew escape from German-occupied France.

Posts: 2413 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The Last King. A Nordic film.

A +1 to City of God.
Unless I missed it, Big Bad Wolves (Israeli).

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

Since this is your favorite, I encourage you to seek out another Benigni movie, The Tiger and the Snow. His wife again accompanies him, along with the familiar Jean Reno.

I dated an Italian lady, with whom we discussed a lot of movies. I told her how much I liked Life is Beautiful and she told me how beloved Benigni is in Italy and recommended this movie. It has a brief peculiar stretch, but overall, it's a really cute movie. Benigni is his usual goofball self, it's funny, and the ending is very satisfying.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
This isn't the best website for finding foreign movies but it's good for finding a lot of movies and shows:

https://soap2day.ac/

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Mmm, some of the kung fu movies might be dubbed, too many to remember.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

Since this is your favorite, I encourage you to seek out another Benigni movie, The Tiger and the Snow. His wife again accompanies him, along with the familiar Jean Reno.

I dated an Italian lady, with whom we discussed a lot of movies. I told her how much I liked Life is Beautiful and she told me how beloved Benigni is in Italy and recommended this movie. It has a brief peculiar stretch, but overall, it's a really cute movie. Benigni is his usual goofball self, it's funny, and the ending is very satisfying.

I will definitely look this up. Thank you.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Taiwan
Country of Beauties
Zodiac Fighters

posted Hide Post
Subway

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 546 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
If you are able, highly recommend "The Fable."

It's just a great Japanese film that is possible to enjoy over and over.

It's subtitled and just enjoyable.

This might help:

https://www.filmlinc.org/films/the-fable/

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Both already mentioned but must be repeated:

Life is Beautiful
City of God

While not a movie but a fantastic series
Nobel

Life is Beautiful was the first foreign film I ever saw. I remember sitting in the theater not having a clue I was about to be watching a foreign film. The movie started to roll and I was kind of pissed. In about 2 minutes it was as if they were speaking the language I knew. The movie was absolutely amazing and is still one of my favorites to this day.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post