SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "What have you heard, Shane?"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"What have you heard, Shane?" Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
"I've heard that you're a low-down yankee liar."

Tonight at 8:00 PM Eastern on TCM.

Sure, you've seen it. We've all seen it, but that's got nothing to with it. Smile

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Even the dog got the hell out of the way. Eek

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The dog does the same thing the first time Palance appears.

posted Hide Post
Prove it!
And a full lineup of Alan Ladd on TCM tonight.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Happens to be my favorite Western of all.

This the scene I think of first. Elisha Cook Jr. as Stonewall Torrey, slipping in the mud, then Palance’s Jack Wilson towering over him up on the boardwalk. Finally, the pause before Wilson pulls the trigger. George Stevens, director.

Posts: 13274 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
It's a favorite but not my all time favorite western. This movie is notable for me because it drew me into the classic western genre, which became a favorite. This might not have happened if it weren't for the movie 'The Negotiator.' Samuel L. Jackson said Shane was dead at the end and I had to know for myself.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The scene of the father wielding the lumber is the best. Then the stump chopping.

The noir films with Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake are on my watch list.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5965 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Watched several of them last night. Great stuff.

Yes, noted the dog high tailed it the first time Palance showed up and duplicated the move in the bar scene, classic.

The Elisha Cook scene was replicated/adapted in Pale Rider if I am not mistaken.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
The Elisha Cook scene was replicated/adapted in Pale Rider if I am not mistaken.
Yesterday, TCM also aired Alan Ladd in The Big Land from 1957, and in it, Anthony Caruso guns down Edmond O'Brien in the same fashion, although it wasn't done nearly as well as in Shane.

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
The slow menacing way Palance gets off his horse was him being afraid of horses. The scene worked well!

Posts: 6621 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'll never forget Jack Palance's acceptance of the Oscar with one-armed pushups.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post