SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A rarely seen film : The Grey Fox - 1982
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A rarely seen film : The Grey Fox - 1982 Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Rented it a couple hours ago. Loved and laughed at the scene in the theatre watching the Great Train Robbery in the last sequence of the shootout scene where an over enthusiastic member in the audience stands up and fires off his handgun, to everybody's surprise, for just a fraction of a moment, then the audience quickly resumes watching the ending of the film with applause.

I can't even imagine that happening in a movie theatre these days.... Eek Very enjoyable film para, thanks for the tip.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I had said I hesitated to call this a Western. Looking into it a bit further, I discovered that The Grey Fox is included in a recognized genre of films, known as Northerns or Northwesterns. Although The Grey Fox is listed among the movies on that page, it seems to be on the boundary of this genre, as specified in the genre's characteristics as described on that Wiki page.

I love this comment on that page:
quote:
David Skene-Melvin writes "Canada never had a Wild West because the Mounties got there first"
Big Grin

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107465 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm on our Metro Library website now and clicked on the tab for New DVD's. I was surprised to see it listed. It's not available yet, copies are on order. I think that's pretty cool, letting others become familiar with the film and passing word of mouth.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Grey Fox

On Amazon Prime
$4.99 for HD (12.99 to buy)
$3.99 for SD (9.99 to buy)

Gonna try it! Looks good.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
DVD was PAL-encoded, not NTSC-encoded, which means you would have to have a DVD player with a built-in transcoder to watch it in the United States, and I don't think such machines are at all common.
Just today my wife wanted to know why we have two DVD players. I have to explain that one of them was 'hacked' to play any region (and no region) DVD's as well as PAL and some other formats like DivX. Still comes in handy sometimes.

we bought a cheap one off Amazon or Ebay years ago to watch a UK show called Ashes to Ashes (sequel of Life on Mars) that was never (apparently) released in the US,

wanna say it was $59 then

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw that movie when it first came out. Always enjoyed Farnsworth as an actor but thought his voice could have been stronger. Sadly, I think we lost him to suicide some years ago.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He was terminally ill and in pain. He chose his own time.

Posts: 107465 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para. I quite enjoyed it. Used your BitChute link. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I had bought the Blu-ray Disc on October 5, 2020 but hadn’t gotten around to watching it until today.
Glad I watched it. An enjoyable film.
There was some bonus commentary about the restoration from the original 35mm negatives.
Also mentioned was the dialogue, music, and sound effects were recorded on 3 separate tracks and the restoration had access to the original as well.
I may be using the incorrect terms here but you get the point.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did any of you see him in The Straight Story, where he rides a lawnmower many miles to reconcile with his ill brother (Harry Dean Stanton) ?

A really sweet movie.

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 687 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
Excellent movie. Thanks for the recommendation.

His first movie role was an uncredited role as a jockey in the Marx Brothers film, A Day at the Races, back in 1937.

His career spanned 62 years. That's really impressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Farnsworth

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 621 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
22 years ago today, Richard Farnsworth took his own life. Widowed, after a long, happy marriage, he lived on a ranch in Lincoln, NM. He was terminal with cancer and suffered great pain.

The Grey Fox is still available on Prime for just $0.99.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post