SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Went to see Clapton the other night.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went to see Clapton the other night. Login/Join 
Man Once
Child Twice
posted
Sat night in Detroit. My son surprised me with 2 overpriced TicketMaster tickets. ($550 for Mezzamine seats). I sure wouldn’t have paid that but he never saw him before and wanted dear old Dad to go with him. Anyways,

Clapton is looking his age. (78)? Didn’t play a lot of lead, Doyle Bramhall II did most of it. He was good. Played Layla as the slow acoustic version along with a few other slow acoustic ones.

To top it all off, the sound was terrible. Vocals could barely be understood, organ was too loud, and the one back up female singer was a screamer.
The drummer, bass and piano player did a good job. To top it off, Jimmie Vaughan opened and the sound was terrible for him too. At least the beer was only $13 a cup.

Tiger Stadium, CoMerica Park looks really nice, ringed in giant Tiger heads holding a baseball in their mouths. Impressive.
I hate to say it but finding a White Castle off I75 going South out of town was the highlight. Now maybe if we’d have stopped at one of those gummie shops we’d have heard better sound. I doubt it tho.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Saw him in the late 1980's. I had pretty amazing seats. I recall it being good, but I was in my late teens, so could have been so-so and I wouldn't have known the difference. This was the big suit, big hair era. I think it was like $25 a ticket. I bought two tickets with money I earned washing dishes and went with my brother's friend (not my friend really) because he had a car. He bought a six of Bud pounders in cans for us.

Mom had left me a some money for me with a note. She was working when I left. Hadn't thought of that in decades.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
It was a long time ago when I saw Eric. Had tickets on the floor, it was a great concert. Ticket prices sure went up a lot since then.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clapton has had peripheral neuropathy since 2013. Amazed he can still play.
I have seen Jimmie Vaughn several times. Enjoyed him immensely. Tickets were reasonable. Sadly Lou Ann Barton sang one song. Late stage alcoholism with her.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Saw him several times during the 80’s, between Cocaine and Behind the sun period. He had his ups and downs but he had Muddy Waters opening for him so not much else i”ve could ask for.
During those times, wished i had seen him playing with Waters in The Pros and Cons tour. That would have been the top lf my list.

Just one night album captures the essence of my Clapton expectations and experience. I also like 24 nights but that’s a different Clapton…

Do not care for the yuppie Clapton. Tears from heaven is not my cup of tea, the acoustic Clapton bores the lights out of me.

Wish he could just play as guest guitar or studio recordings and shine still, not the tired and bored stuff i’ve heard lately.
In that sense, Santana manages to stay up top with guests and collaborations where his guitar sound remains unmistakable and fresh.

Clapton is God, but religion is fading.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Well, it was worth a shot. Frown

So many of the truly great artists we grew up with are performing today because of the money.
The problem is not only is it insanely expensive but the performance is anywhere from adequate to poor.
I guess it is to be expected not to be as great.
Back in the day > even though a $18 ticket wasn't cheap as a kid it, we still scraped it together making it a great buy.
The sound was generally LOUD, a great smokey aura in the air Razz and the artist was in their peak and the music was contemporary.
Sadly the good times are few and far between.
I've seen a few of the great old acts in recent years but NOTHING compares to those good old days.
Not a lot of reasons to go to a concert any more. Frown

I would have loved to see Clapton in his prime. Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've never seen him. I would have liked to.

And not to be "sour grapes," but for $500 a ticket in a giant arena where the sound is never good, I guess I never will.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, not that it matters much but, 2 tickets total for $550.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
Just to clarify, not that it matters much but, 2 tickets total for $550.

That is only half as outrageous. Wink

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
I was able to see Clapton twice in the 70's. I am pretty sure this was the night that Muddy Waters opened for him!

Posts: 671 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about seeing him this tour and would have paid pretty good money for decent seats as I've never seen him. But after this review, I'll pass. I should have taken advantage of the old days when I could have seen many of the legends in their prime.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We saw Clapton in London at the RAH in 2017. The peripheral neuropathy diagnosis was mentioned earlier, and I thought the London show may well turn out to be the last chance to see him live. Like the show Sigfest attended, opening act was DB II, and he played with Clapton during his set. I think that’s been true for a long time now. I was a little disappointed. I thought Clapton was good, but not great. It was an experience to see him in Albert Hall, and I don’t regret the trip at all, but It wasn’t everything I hoped for.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Saw Clapton perform in 2019, he was still playing all the songs, he was great on the guitar, his singing voice not so much. But he’s not a spring chicken anymore, either.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Saw him on the Journeyman tour.Absolutely amazing.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post