SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Exorcist: Believer from David Gordon Green
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Exorcist: Believer from David Gordon Green Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted

I'd give this one a chance on streaming or 4k Blu Ray as this is the same group that did Halloween, Halloween Kills, and Halloween Ends. If this hits large format like IMAX or Dolby Digital, I'll try it in a theater, and Blumhouse also does a good job keeping budgets in control so it'll probably be profitable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DanH,

Posts: 4219 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Enjoy!

But for me, Oh hell no. I generally don't appreciate the horror / gore genre but I especially avoid movies like The Omen or The Exorcist.

Decades later and the originals still creep me out.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I'm there. I didn't even know that Ellen Burstyn was still alive. However, is Linda Blair in this movie or not?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Collider said she had a small part.

Posts: 4219 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to reading the spoilers thread here once it's released, but I'm with Konata88. I can't watch that shit.

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I'm in! Looks like it could be good!

Posts: 4454 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I'd give this one a chance on streaming or 4k Blu Ray as this is the same group that did Halloween, Halloween Kills, and Halloween Ends.

Pass. Halloween and The Exorcist appealed to me because of their ominous, creepy atmosphere, like they could get away with in the '70s. I don't think David Gordon Green has it in him. Like, the shots in the original of Ellen Burstyn walking down the Georgetown street in autumn while "Tubular Bells" plays or Max von Sydow pulling up to the house at night in the famous Magritte shot—do they film scenes like that anymore in this digital age?

For Halloween (1978), Michael Myers was supposed to be "The Shape"—a mysterious and foreboding figure secretly creeping about. In Halloween Kills, Green and the Blumhouse guys turned Myers from "The Shape" into "The Terminator," mowing down whoever got in his way. I was disappointed that in Halloween Ends, Myers wasn't treated like Godzilla, with the military attacking him with flamethrowers, Apaches, and A-10s with nil effect. I don't have a lot of faith in these guys.

Posts: 5588 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Just saw it. Pass. Flatter than 3 day old holy water.

I guess I can give the producers credit for attempting to fall back to the franchise's dark roots, but then take it all back for failing to accomplish it.

Insufficient screen time for Ellen Burstyn. Why sign her up if you don't use her? Yes, Linda Blair makes an appearance, for all of 5 seconds.

NOTE: if you're avoiding this film because the first one was so scary, you're perfectly safe. The only thing you have to worry about is being bored to death.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I saw the original Exorcist in the theater when it was first released in late 73/early 74 amid all the hysteria about people vomiting, and fainting and the other nonsense. I was in my very late teens, as was my girlfriend and the other buddies who came along.

We laughed all the way through it at the stupid story and the little girl hurling pea soup everywhere.

Never bothered with any of the sequels as a consequence.

YMMV of course.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on true story

Posts: 1408 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^Yes, the original novel by William Peter Blatty is based on a true story, though it was a young boy rather than a girl.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

We laughed all the way through it at the stupid story and the little girl hurling pea soup everywhere.

Aren't there other threads where you've established what a badassmf'inman you are? Maybe not, so nice.

While this never needs to be remade, good on the producers for pulling this off.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12443 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Aren't there other threads where you've established what a badassmf'inman you are? Maybe not, so nice.

While this never needs to be remade, good on the producers for pulling this off.

Er...what? I simply said that we found the (original) film laughable and over-hyped. Someone pee on your wheaties tonight or something? If you don't like what I post, well, it's what the 'ignore' facility is made for.

Have a great night.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post