SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    To Podcast or not to Podcast - a recent discovery of mine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To Podcast or not to Podcast - a recent discovery of mine Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
I have always been a music guy. Video tends to distract me so twitch etc. is not something I do while working.

BUT recently my daughter and students have been telling me about podcast. I have access via Amazon Prime Music so I checked a few out. OMG this is so much fun. I can grade and code etc. and listen to great 'radio' style podcasts.
If you are wondering, I have a difficult time listening to an audio book as I am not listening close enough. strange, but this is why I had never given podcasts a chance.

Are there any podcasts you guys are listening too? I just finished "last known position" Which is a serial. I am about to start "After Shock" and looking forward to it.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3570 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't even know where to look for a podcast. My stepson is into them and he might be of some help.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is my favorite podcast, bar none.

Posts: 32414 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is my favorite podcast, bar none.

That sounds like one I'd enjoy. Where do I find it?

Jim

Edit:
Never mind, I found it.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Honestly with Bari Weiss is definitely worth the time.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I'm ashamed to say that my favorite podcast is not family friendly, or even what I'll describe as common man friendly so be warned.

Painkiller Already(PKA) is hosted by Kyle(FPSRussia fame), Woody(WoodysGamerTag), and Taylor and is filled with juvenile and off color humor. Common topics are drug use, fitness, gaming, UFC, and Kyle's prison experiences. The shows are normally about 4 hours long and a lot of the time they have a guest.

Just to dip your toe have a listen to their other podcast called Painkiller Now(PKN). It's only an hour long and its just the three of them without the guest.

I just find the three of them hilarious. And it's interesting because they are really from three different generations. Woody is almost 50, Kyle is late 30's and Taylor just turned 30.

Posts: 11146 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I listen to a LOT of podcasts. If i'm not listening while working, I have one playing while driving. There's a multitude of topics and formats to listen to, some are story telling, some are interviews.

Some favorites:
- Dan Carlin's Hardcore History (DEEEP Dive into historical periods and the gold standard for historical podcasting)
- John Batchelor (daily urban conservative news focusing on domestic & int'l news, science, book reviews, and military)
- Joe Rogan (long form interviews)
- The Way I Heard It with Mike Rowe (interesting stories, topics and guests with famous host)
- Jocko Podcast and Jocko Unravelling (military topics with former SEAL Jocko Willink)
- Travel with Rick Steves (multiple topics with guests, about countries, cultures and travel tips)
- Business Wars (Serial style story telling of companies and their history)

Posts: 14554 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
Honestly with Bari Weiss is definitely worth the time.

I agree. I enjoy her discussions.

Posts: 7503 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I have 4 or 5 podcasts concerning European football I listen to regularly.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3431 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave Ramsey

Get out of debt as soon as you possibly can.

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I wouldn't even know where to look for a podcast.
Well, them ain't snap peas, bruh.

Posts: 107239 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
First one I listened to was called “To Live and Die in L.A.”. It was about a model who went missing. Still one of my favorites.

Dr. Death was another that will make your blood boil.

I like “Unashamed” with Phil Robertson also. I think they do three shows a week - I might get to listen to one show. Always a lot of fun.

Louder with Crowder is fun.

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I listen to a number of them. One I liked recently was "The Agent," a story about a Russian illegal agent (a spy snuck into the country illegally under a false identity, as opposed to someone with diplomatic cover) called Jack Barsky. It fascinating.

"S Town" was very interesting. It is kind of hard to describe, but no one who has heard it wasn't fascinated by this story about a small Southern town, and a very peculiar individual.

"American Innovations" is good - stories about various scientific, industrial, and medical innovations. Accurate, told in narrative form.

"Wise About Texas" is done by a friend and former colleague on Texas history.

"Myths and Legends" are retellings of various myths, legends, and fairy tales from all cultures - think Greek myths, Norse myths, Chinese legends, aboriginal stories, Grimm brothers - you name it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Holeee cow.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have 100's of hours of stuff to listen to now. How have I not heard of Hardcore History? How have I ignored this medium for so so long?

This and more after this brief word from our sponsor, . . .

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3570 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they are great for road trips, much better than ebooks

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
"The Fighter Pilot Podcast" and "The Spear" are two of my favorites. The Spear is a series of interviews of combat veterans detailing real-life combat experiences. It is published by the Modern War Institute at West Point.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1437 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What podcast app are many of you using?

I was using iCatcher! for awhile but, the amount of crashes I was experiencing was frustrating so, switched to Spotify. While more stable and the music component is nice, I'm not crazy about Spotify's format and how to navigate.

Posts: 14554 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I’m an iPhone user so I use the built-in podcast application. I do occasionally use Spotify to listen to The Joe Rogan Experience.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1437 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post