SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Midsize Performance SUV - Any experience?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midsize Performance SUV - Any experience? Login/Join 
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted
I am looking to pick up a primary vehicle that I can have a bit of fun with while still meeting a utilitarian purpose. I have been going between the

2022 Porsche Macan Turbo which is now the GTS

2022 Mercedes GLC AMG 63 S

2022 BMW X3M

Now I do not take much storage in the vehicle but having the ability to tow a Maverick Trail SXS with an open tandem braked trailer would be a must and I can do that with any of them. So your thoughts, opinions or experiences would be great to hear.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
You might want to budget for a Jeep Cherokee:

https://youtu.be/3gHjS8CFsn8

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18016 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat. But dont tell your insurance agent! My non-Hellcat Durango was trouble free while I had it. Just did not need 3 row seating.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Those all look expen$ive, GroundedCLK Wink

I was considering a Porsche Cayenne a few years back. Posted about it here. Responses boiled-down to "Yeah, cool, but get ready to open your wallet." Did some more searching.

Finally ended-up with a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with a 5.7L Hemi. Absolutely love it.

And, yeah, with that Hemi it's hella fun Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No AMG experience, but I'm partial to a Merc.

Have had a few GLC300 for a loaner when I had a C300, liked them quite a bit. Very similar dynamic to my C, just taller.

A Macan intrigues me too, love how they look & imagine the drive is great, being a Porsche.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
GLC is compact, not mid-size.

I drove the Audi SQ7, GLE5 3AMG and also the Genesis GV80 3.5T about six weeks ago. I ended up buying a Kia Telluride SX-Prestige instead nut mostly because we decided this would be a third vehicle purchase for us vs. my daily driver (I'm going to order a Tesla Model X Long Range for delivery next year for every day).

A friend owns a Porsche Macan Turbo/GTS which she loves.

A few observations; the Audi never felt sporty. The Genesis was terrific but interior was style over substance and handling was ponderous (the twin-turbo V6 was excellent however). The Porsche makes ALL the right noises and fun to drive but is smaller than most inside. The Mercedes was a FREAKING RIOT to drive mostly because it had the AMG Driving Package and the AMG Performance Exhaust.

If I were to choose a gas vehicle for everyday, the clear choice for me was the GLE53 AMG. It was terrific and it felt every bit as expensive as it was in a way that the Audi didn't. The GV80 is a great value.

If you're fine with the smaller side of "Mid-size" i.e. the Macan/GLC/Q5 size, I'd strongly recommend you go check out the new Genesis GV70 (the smaller SUV). It has the same 390hp 3.5T motor but is Macan/GLC/Q5 size and tuned more for performance than the bigger GV80 I was considering.

These are all great vehicles...you really can't go wrong. It just comes down to which one you like better, pricing, options, etc.

Here are some pics I snapped from my test drives (wife hates dealers so she never goes but wanted me to show her what I looked at). https://imgur.com/a/Mh4xn0H

Posts: 3061 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Adding to my above.
Had a GLE350 also, as a loaner. Very smooth, didn't notice I was cruising at >80. Felt like 65-70. Spacious, too, but it had the older generation infotainment, compared to my '15 C300.

No hands on time with MBUX, so can't comment on that. I had the last iteration of COMMAND, I believe & it worked well, for not having a touch screen.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Just drove a Cayenne, a Macan, and an Audi. Ended up special ordering a Macan. No GTS or Turbo, too rich for our blood. Have driven a couple of Mercs too, 350 and 450, but not an AMG. Really looking forward to this Macan, I think we’ll both enjoy it a lot.

Posts: 13154 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The BMW X3 isn’t really midsize. It’s a compact SUV. The X5 is their midsize vehicle, and comes can be had in the X5 M50i and X5M if you’re really hardcore. Similarly, I’d rate the MB GLC as a compact, with the GLE being more midsized.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Agree that the X3 is too small. I have the X2 M35i as my dog car and it’s even smaller than the X3 I tested.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The GLE 53 Coupe is the one I really like. I have a pretty good bit of experience with MB (owned a few and immediate family has owned 10+) and love them and will probably own one forever. The AMG models are just kind of ridiculous in a very fun way. I have a client that has one of the GLE 53s and it's awesome. My FIL, my Mom, and my wife all drive GLEs and the size is pretty much perfect for us.

Also have a friend with a nice Macan but all things considered, I prefer the Merc.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10465 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife just got a 2022 Audi A4 Allroad last week. Her third of this model in a row. It is a wagon not a SUV but it also drives much much better than any SUV I have tried. Very quick sporty nimble performance. The A4 might not satisfy your towing needs but there also is an A6 version.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Agree that the X3 is too small. I have the X2 M35i as my dog car and it’s even smaller than the X3 I tested.

That because the X2 is based on the X1, which is a subcompact.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the other SUVs mentioned above, but in reading the various reviews and owner experiences, it seems the JGC is actually a remarkably capable off-road SUV.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Grand Cherokee SRT8 is terrific as is the TrakHawk, though you give up some off-road ability by making them "performance" vehicles. They're long in the tooth though they just got an interior refresh with the new Grand Cherokee L out this year.

That said, the dealer experience at Jeep is nowhere near the other marques (having owned an AEV JKUR, a 300C SRT8 and several Mercedes over the last decade. Chrysler dealers don't like their customers very much).

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I can't speak to the other SUVs mentioned above, but in reading the various reviews and owner experiences, it seems the JGC is actually a remarkably capable off-road SUV.

Is the JGC a body-on-frame (SUV) or crossover utility vehicle (CUV) ?

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The GC has been unibody since forever

Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Just custom ordered a 2021 Macan GTS (375 HP version, moderately optioned for a Porsche), delivery scheduled for November (the GTS is on an allocation to global dealers).
Excited about it but will simply have to wait until November to enjoy.
Too old and arthritically challenged to easily get into my 911 any longer - it is literally painful to enter and more so to exit. The seat level of a small-to-medium sized SUV is at a perfect ass-level for me. Razz
Considered BMW X3 M4 and Audi SQ5 but have had 4 other Porsches and have loved every one of them.
Yes they are pricey, yes they are expensive to maintain - it's part of the decision process to factor that in the final decision.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
The GC has been unibody since forever

Thank you Sir.
I know little to nothing about them other than they are quite popular around here.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post