SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Greatest Batman Has Lost His Fight Against Cancer: Kevin Conroy Died at 66
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Greatest Batman Has Lost His Fight Against Cancer: Kevin Conroy Died at 66 Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
https://www.foxnews.com/entert...voice-batman-dead-66

quote:
Kevin Conroy, the 'most beloved voice of Batman,' dead at 66
Conroy voiced The Dark Knight in 'Batman: The Animated Series'

November 11, 2022 1:09pm EST

Actor Kevin Conroy, who rose to fame becoming "the most beloved voice of Batman in the animated history of the character," has passed away at the age of 66, Warner Bros. says.

Conway died Thursday after a short battle with cancer. He voiced The Dark Knight in "Batman: The Animated Series" in addition to "nearly 60 different productions, including 15 films – highlighted by the acclaimed Batman: Mask of the Phantasm; 15 animated series, spanning nearly 400 episodes and more than 100 hours of television; as well as two dozen video games," according to the film studio.

"Kevin was far more than an actor whom I had the pleasure of casting and directing -- he was a dear friend for 30+ years whose kindness and generous spirit knew no boundaries," casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano said in a statement. "Kevin’s warm heart, delightfully deep laugh and pure love of life will be with me forever."

Warner Bros. says Kevin Conroy's "incomparable, nuanced performance as the voice of Batman that put [him] on the map – and the fans’ radar – when Batman: The Animated Series debuted on September 5, 1992."

"Kevin was perfection," said Mark Hamill, who played the Joker opposite Conroy and Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars films. "He was one of my favorite people on the planet, and I loved him like a brother. He truly cared for the people around him – his decency shone through everything he did."

Hamill also described Conroy as a "brilliant actor" who for several generations has "been the definitive Batman."

"Kevin brought a light with him everywhere," added Paul Dini, producer of Batman: The Animated Series, "whether in the recording booth giving it his all, or feeding first responders during 9/11, or making sure every fan who ever waited for him had a moment with their Batman. A hero in every sense of the word. Irreplaceable. Eternal."

This was rather unexpected today, but it still doesn’t make this any easier. Batman: The Animated Series was a show that was not only timeless, but excellent full stop. There is no, “It’s great for a cartoon” or, “It’s great for children,” that show is still amazing watching it live as a child and going back to rewatching it years and years later. It is very much the best portrayal of Batman on film and while half of it was the talented writing staff, but also from Kevin Conroy voicing Batman/Bruce Wayne.

There was a story he told on one of the Batman discs that after 9/11, he was looking for something to do to help out. So he volunteered at a kitchen to help First Responders. One night, a group of firefighters was eating at this place and the waiter mentioned that Batman cooked their dinner. No one believed the guy and then this echoed through the kitchen and the dining room:

Then one of the firefighters said, “Holy crap, it’s Batman!” He was pure excellence in this role and was always gracious towards the fans. There was never any of this trash about how fans of something were istaphobes. He was a nice and charming to us as he was his family, which led up fans demanding him in other Batman appearances spreading over 30 years.

A genuine RIP for the true Dark Knight…

Posts: 4125 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
I'll always remember him as Captain Wallace in the Tour of Duty TV series.

R.I.P. Mr. Conroy

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1726 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
This is a good tribute, as well:

https://youtu.be/eYaMZuOCdl8

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18017 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Well, that blows. Frown

I have the DVD set of the animated series and really enjoy watching them again with my kids. They love them, too. It was an after school activity for me back in the day.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17243 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
This one hit me in the feels:

Posts: 4125 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
A powerful voice that brought a character to life. May he be at peace & his rest be easy Wink

Posts: 13790 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UpTheIrons:
I'll always remember him as Captain Wallace in the Tour of Duty TV series.

R.I.P. Mr. Conroy

Same here. I still watch two back-to-back episodes on a Saturday night. Heroes & Icons channel. https://www.handitv.com/schedule/2022-11-19

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post