SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    47 Meters Down - Fellow divers, watch and be amazed.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

47 Meters Down - Fellow divers, watch and be amazed. Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
You would think that if someone was going to script a third 'Open Water' movie (in spirit, anyway) they might... just might at least have a casual conversation with an actual diver. Or at the very least, someone who has maybe taken one of those quicky "just barely enough that we think you might not kill yourself" resort courses.

If you can't afford the expert consultant, please, for the love of God, don't make the film.

47 meters = 154 feet. If I remember the math right, that's almost 6 ATMs and after about 5 minutes or so, they're going to need some decompression stops on the way up (which I'm betting doesn't happen).

These girls are wearing single aluminum 80s (although they don't actually look quite long enough to be 80s, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here).

These girls are freaking out. Little to no conservation of air is happening here.

We have no idea from the trailer how long they're under before the cage falls, but I'm guessing that they won't have to worry about decomp or O2 toxicity because they're going to run out of air in a matter of minutes probably in less time than it took me to watch this trailer and type this post.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Everything you wrote would make sense if the girls were expecting to dive that deep. But if they're novices and the boat captain is expecting his cage to be ten or twenty feet down for a few minutes, why would they have equipment that is rated for deep dives? And when you're being attacked by rabid sharks, are you really going to be thinking about decompression stops?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
You're missing my point. They're perfectly well outfitted for the intended dive - no doubt.

This movie, however, will ignore the imminent death they face only minutes into the accident (all of the other reasons notwithstanding) precisely because they're not equipped with the gear they require to survive at 47 meters for that long.

Forget about getting out of the cage and making your way to the surface through the school of insane sharks. They'll be dead within minutes.

That's just basic physics and biology. If they're at that depth for more than a couple of minutes and somehow survive, given the other factors at play, it's a horribly sloppy film.

What if they did The Martian and left Matt Damon w/o a suit? That's the equivalent level of dumb here, only the general public is much more likely to understand that Mars + no suit = death in minutes, whereas most folks will think SCUBA = Okay w/ air, but sharks = danger.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
But sharks are scary.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Honestly few care about the accuracy of scenes in movies, seriously it's a fictional story, a movie, as long as the gals are hot, the bikinis small and there are sharks, with or without frick'n laser beams on their heads folks will watch.

I get it, if you are into diving, but the rest of us just want to see sharks, girls in bikinis and panic situations...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I like a good suspenseful movie, but give me at least a little realism and make me believe you've done a few hours of research to make a better movie.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
there are plenty of movies that you've watched and enjoyed that a person with vast experience in the subject of that movie rolled his eyes at.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
There are a ton of issues with this. First: as posted, decompression. At 47 m, the divers are off the charts for rec divers. Not to say it isn't possible to go below the 130 feet tables, but unless you are using a computer rated for that you're running an experiment on yourself. And really risking the bends. But decompression sickness vs. defenestration via shark tooth and the choice is obvious.

But the issues don't stop there: their air is going to be sucked down at 6x the rate at 20 ft. Even if the girls are great on air (normal), they still are going to sucking vacuum in about six minutes, faster if panicking.

But then there is nitrogen narcosis. They are going to be whacked out of their mind, especially if they haven't ever been that deep before.

Finally, everyone knows that this concentration of sharks is only found in nature during the sharknato. I mean, who the hell writes this stuff without basic research?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I mean, who the hell writes this stuff without basic research?

I can imagine the producers pitching this movie-

"Ok remember 'the Shallows'?"
"Yeah"
"Well... what if we added a hot chick and-"
"So there's TWO hot chicks?"
"Yes. And we put the whole thing under water this tim-"
"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
I mean, who the hell writes this stuff without basic research?

I can imagine the producers pitching this movie-

"Ok remember 'the Shallows'?"
"Yeah"
"Well... what if we added a hot chick and-"
"So there's TWO hot chicks?"
"Yes. And we put the whole thing under water this tim-"
"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

It's like you're reading my mind!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I saw the trailer a couple of days ago - would recommend this one go straight to DVD. I too can suspend reality but honestly, some of the Marvel and DC superhero movies seem more plausible.

A far cry from some of my dive-centered favorites like The Deep.

Michael

Posts: 1099 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
defenestration via shark tooth

I totally want to see the mechanics of this procedure. I have some amazing mental visuals.

I agree about sharknado season, these guys are trying to just phone it in.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
quote:
defenestration via shark tooth

I totally want to see the mechanics of this procedure. I have some amazing mental visuals.

Given that defenestration is generally defined as throwing someone out a window, I too am intrigued.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I like a good suspenseful movie, but give me at least a little realism and make me believe you've done a few hours of research to make a better movie.

This is why I have such a hard time watching war movies. I know too much to really enjoy them. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post