SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    50th Anniversary Of The Allman Brothers Band
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50th Anniversary Of The Allman Brothers Band Login/Join 
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted
2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the Allman Brothers Band. Vinyl, tape, CD, or streaming, they've always been a fixture in my collections. Any favorite songs, albums or memories?

Posts: 1628 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
My sister stayed at their Allman Bros Ranch here in Florida countless years ago. Watching Dickie and Duane is what solidified the purchase of my first Les Paul. Those guys nailed those dual guitar solos. Hands down one of my favorite early southern rock and blues bands.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed the Allman Brothers music from the beginning. Went to two concerts with the original group lineup. First time was at Ludlow Garage in Cincinnati, Ohio on April 4, 1970. Second concert was in the gymnasium at Marietta College (Marietta,Ohio) on October 16, 1971 about 2 weeks before Duane's death. A chance encounter with Red Dog (roadie) led to him introducing me to the band after the show. During a short conversation with Duane, I asked him what he used for his slide work. He tossed me one of his slide bottles and told me I could have it. Like several other guitar masters Duane left us way too soon. Although there are so many of their songs I can listen to over and over, Dreams is probably my favorite, followed closely by their live rendition of Stormy Monday.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Oh yea, my two early favorites were definitely "Midnight Rider" and "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
"Jessica", "Mellissa", and "Ain't Wastin' Time No More" are my favorite songs. With the exception of Jessica, I prefer their more structured songs rather than long jams.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
ohioup—- weren’t they using Coricidin glass bottles? Still got it?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Coricidin bottles with snap off caps and no seam in the glass. After '71 or '72 the bottles had "childproof" caps and seams. They weren't so good for use as slides. As far as I know, the bottle is in a guitar case at my brother's house. He took care of the guitar while I was in Asia the latter half of the 70's. I've never retrieved since I don't play anymore.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Been a fan for the last 35 years at least.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Mountain Jam is an amazing piece of music that shows off each members talent. Live at Fillmore East is an amazing collection also.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I've been a fan since they came out. Lots of great songs over the years, Whipping Post and Ramblin' Man are old favorites.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Reed. Fillmore. 'nuf said.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Been a fan for the last 35 years at least.

0-0

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

RIP Barry,Duane,Butch,and Gregg

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Been listening since high school. First time I remember hearing them, I was with my older brother. Him and his friends were playing cards and they put an AB album on. One of them said, man why did you put that on, now I can't concentrate on the game. It didn't take me long for to understand what he meant.

Fillmore
Statesboro Blues
Done Somebody Wrong

Others
Please Call Home
It's Not My Cross To Bear

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Saw them at the Chicago Auditorium in August 1971; Duane was gone 2 months later. It's a blur but the Live at the Fillmore album captures what I experienced.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
'One Way Out' is my favorite song.

They took a decent blues song and converted it into a classic.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I loved the early Allman's with both Dickie and Duane but Greg's voice will always be a mainstay when they come to mind too.

Charlie Daniels and The Marshal Tucker Band always come to mind along with the Allman Brothers Band back in the days. What great memories of a long time passed.

Regards, Will G.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
"Jessica", "Mellissa", and "Ain't Wastin' Time No More" are my favorite songs. With the exception of Jessica, I prefer their more structured songs rather than long jams.

Me too

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Me too

I didn't mind so much the longer jams, a definite staple especially when driving long trips up the coast searching for good waves, but not In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida long!

Regards, Will G.

posted Hide Post
My favorite is Blue Sky.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post