SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A friend sent me a nice Christmas present, need input from you guys...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A friend sent me a nice Christmas present, need input from you guys... Login/Join 
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted
I got this coming today.

What should I expect?
What are you guys impressions of it?

Posts: 5029 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Blanton's is delicious. Always complex and very flavorful.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10500 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I think it’s a really nice bourbon.

I also think it’s developed an outsized reputation. I’ve seen liquor stores put limits on the number of bottles a buyer can purchase, and markups on the bourbon over retail. I think it was a really good idea to put a race horse on the bottle stopper.

I think it’s a really nice bourbon.

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should expect bourbon. It’s a nice bottle. It tastes like bourbon. It’s acquired a silly level of hype which is unfortunate. That hype has led to difficulty finding it and outsized expectations of magic in a bottle.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
LOL

I don't know what the price, since to me, IT'S FREE!

Free bourbon should be okay, but as long as it is equivalent or better than Maker's, I will be okay with it.

Guess I need to freeze some bourbon balls.

Posts: 5029 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I personally think it is overpriced but not overrated.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10500 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Save the Stopper.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are your thoughts on how it compares to Eagle Rare? I have really enjoyed the bootle of ER that I’ve almost finished. My BIL told me his sons got him turned on to bourbon recently. I’d like to take a bottle to share among all of us at Christmas. Just trying to decide if I want to stick to the ER or splurge for Blantons.

Posts: 2160 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
A very nice present indeed.

A delicious Bourbon that more advanced Bourbon snobs, love to hate, or they hate those who chase Blanton's. Sazerac (parent company) has got the marketing thing down to a science.

It is not too complex, not too hot (proofy), it is a bourbon many people will enjoy.

Hard to find and will adorn any bar nicely.

Drink it and enjoy it.

As far as comparison with Eagle Rare, Eagle Rare is a 10 yr. old bourbon and one of my favorites. IMO, ER is a little more complex and mature, even for my immature pallet.

At the Buffalo Trace Distillery, both Blanton's and Eagle Rare are available. ER is less expensive, but the hype and the chase of Blanton's is second to none, especially for those beginning their Bourbon journey, IMO.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave my Dept. manager a gallon of Jack D. one Christmas at his Christmas party.
The next week while at lunch ,he pulled me aside
and
told me that it was the nicest present an employee had ever given him.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally like Blanton's, it's sort of a "reference standard" to measure others against as you fall into the bourbon rabbit hole. Comments made by others I generally agree with here about Blanton's. I have emptied a few bottles in the past, but now it's generally become allocated anywhere near where I can purchase it so I've probably bought my last one. There are others, some better, some more or less costly that will be tasty enough that if I never have another I will be fine.

I do have one full bottle left, and it is for my close circle for when I pass. The last bottle has a "dump date" of 6/4, which is my birthday. I have already given instructions for my buddies that it is to be shared when I go, and not a drop to be saved or left in the bottle.

Now I actually prefer Old Rip Van Winkle, the 10-year old "non-pappy Pappy". I had a bottle and we emptied it at my only daughter's wedding reception. It was exceptional, and reinforced for me that bourbon's sweet spot is a 10 to 12 year old version. I have had older, but it tends to go to the woody taste from over barrel aging, and I prefer a non-woody taste to any additional smoothness that it might gain. These are all just my opinions, and I'm just an amateur bourbon drinker. Smile

I am actually going to dispose of my small collection in the coming year. I don't drink enough anymore. Smile

Posts: 218 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Don't go mixing it with your Diet Coke or Ginger Ale! Big Grin

Sippin Bourbon, pour a bit, add a dash of Branch water just to open it up, let it breath, if you have some of the Ice Stones, drop them in to cool it down if you prefer your drinks not to be at room temp, which is fine....

It's a good Bourbon, a cool night, nice cigar and glass of Blantons by a fire....

Posts: 23590 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It's very good bourbon and an outstanding gift. It's in short supply and not the easiest thing to find. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, but even if you don't someone still put some thought and effort into it.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post