SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Wanted to watch Wrath of Man last night
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted to watch Wrath of Man last night Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Any streaming service it’s on is charging $20 to “rent” it. WTF?

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They assume you will watch with multiple people instead of going to the theatre and are attempting to recoup their movie money.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Ok that makes a bit of sense. Still not paying that though.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I ran into that with Nobody. It was also something like $20 to rent. I don't think so

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it. Wait till it’s cheaper. Much cheaper.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it in the theater. Wasn’t worth the $8 for the ticket, much less $20 for streaming.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
New normal and honestly a fair price IMO. Remember these are new releases not yet released to Bluray or whatever.

In the “wayback times Smile) The theater is where the movie stayed until ready to rent. Now its released immediately to streaming you just pay the equivalent of a couple folks night at the theater for the privilege. One the movie runs its normal theater run course the streaming price will drop to normal rental costs.

Nobody, for example, will release for rental on Tuesday and will likely drop in streaming rental price that day.

I actually like this system. Gives me the option of a theater, my own home theater or my own home theater come rental time.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
The exclusive $20 rental option will become an exclusive $20 purchase option before it's available to rent for the usual $4-6.

I wish they'd let you rent it and then apply that towards a purchase (within a limited time frame, to be reasonable) if you decide it's worth buying.

Of course, how much of a purchase is it really if it lives in the cloud and can be taken away from you?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Saw it. Wait till it’s cheaper. Much cheaper.

Yeah have to agree, it was good but not great, lots of action, shoot um up scenes, basic revenge movie...

I'll watch it again though, I'd wait until it's free or $5...

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I thought it was pretty entertaining but definitely not $20 entertaining...maybe $1.50 and a free soda.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
It was strange. I have always been a 'hold out' on theaters if I felt the theater experience may not be worth the risk. ($30 for 2tix, $25 for popcorn and soda for the wife and I, $55 to sit in front of two idiots who talk the whole movie). If we did not want to risk it we would just wait until it came out on disk. I just did this with Godzilla / Kong, and will watch it tonight. I skipped the theater.

So I have a nice home theater setup with 70" of 4k and decent home sound. I am happy with it.

But the streaming stuff doesnt work well with me, I have limited broadband where I live and streaming a full res movie is problematic.

But the rent/buy is always a bit weird, like airplane tickets. For instance, Val Kilmer in the Saint, is on amazon video (hosted by Showtime) for 3.99 rent or 13.99 to buy. But you can buy the DVD for 5.99 with free shipping. How is buying physical media, and having it shipped cheaper than the streamed version? Showtime licensing.

Monsters of Man came out last year (direct to streaming) and there was not a physical version you could buy. I could rent it, or for a few more dollars buy it. So I bought it.

But yes, the $20 to rent a first run movie is a way of making back money on forgoing the theater experience (typically a $55 outing for me). My whole point with all of this, is the rumor mill has it that physical media and movie theaters may soon go away. I wonder if that is true or not. For me, no. I will always see the newest star wars/indiana jones etc. movie in the theater first. And I always prefer to own it on physical media.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I saw it for free at a friend's and it was fine for free.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the reviews, I was tempted to pull the trigger and 20 bucks but I guess I’ll wait.

Time to sit down and watch Kingsman for the umpteenth time! LOL

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post