SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    50 years ago today, Jim Croce departed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 years ago today, Jim Croce departed Login/Join 
posted
Where have the years gone? Another day that the music died, at least for myself.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/musi...dc5559e26fc1eec&ei=8

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Damn. Was a fan and have several of his LPs.
I remember this but didn't realize it was <gasp> fifty years ago. Eek

For whatever reason (and I'm sure many would say I'm crazy), contemporary artist Raul Midon conjures up images of Croce for me when he performs some songs.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I was a fan - had it on {cough} 8-track. Eek
Remember him well.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I swear the Vista Cruiser only had two 8-tracks, Neil Diamond and Jim Croce.

Posts: 10946 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
A great talent that left us way too early.

Posts: 4627 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I swear the Vista Cruiser only had two 8-tracks, Neil Diamond and Jim Croce.

I mean if you're only gonna have two... that's a pretty good two to have.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I still remember the day....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Wow! 50 years ago?!?!? I would have been 12 and we had just moved to upstate NY...outside Kingston. REALLY liked his music/ballads and remember mother singing along to "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown". Rick Beato did a wonderful YT episode highlighting one of his most famous tunes. Here it is for your enjoyment...

Musta got something in my eye when I was watching this...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It's pretty remarkable how many great songs he wrote in such a short time. It makes you wonder what he could have done with a few more years. Not so different from Harry Chapin. Both genius singer/songwriters.

I used to play New York's Not My Home over and over (and over) again.

Posts: 20101 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I was 14 and remember his music well

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I too was 14 when he died. He was always on the radio; hit after hit. Great songwriter. As said, how much farther did he have to go? Such a shame. RIP

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
It makes you wonder what he could have done with a few more years.

Shortly before his death, he was disillusioned with the recording industry; his money was held to pay back the large advances his label gave him in his record contract, which he used for recording costs. He was tired of touring and being away from his wife and baby child. He actually mailed a letter to his wife days before his death stating that he was going to quit music and start a career writing instead. To me, it was tragic he died on the road, not to see his family again.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He fell into my John prine and Jerry reed category.
Wonderful music

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post