SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What popular band most missed their potential?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What popular band most missed their potential? Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I'm regularly forced to listen to plenty of Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd. I honestly think 99% of that material is garbage and the band only benefited in every way from David Gilmour replacing him. It's too inaccessible. But if you have a hard-on for Frank Zappa and King Crimson, you'll love it. In the music world, that's akin to being a transgender vegan who does crossfit - everyone is going to know exactly how superior you are because you're going to tell them. At least, that's my experience with the people I've met and talked with who think Syd Barrett was a god amongst insects and sneered at anyone who likes The Division Bell because "that's not Pink Floyd."

Not in any way intended to be a slam on the OP. I have just developed some rather negative feelings for big fans of Syd Barrett based on negative experiences.

I have to agree.. PF post Barrett IS PF. Before that point it was noise.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hume:
Arthur Lee, Bryan MacLean, Johnny Echols, Ken Forssi, and Michael Stuart: This ensemble is the classic line-up for the band Love on its third album Forever Changes (1967). The album still ranks high on "best of" lists today.

According to John Einarson's detailed biography of Arthur Lee, the original band imploded in early 1968 because of drugs, mistrust, and conflicts over money. Arthur Lee went on with "Love" as composed of backing musicians. The magic of the original line-up was gone for good.

Lee was a royal jerk. He had felony convictions, did prison time, and alienated everyone who tried to help him. I remember him as a guy still hanging around the Sunset Strip in the 1970s. It was an unfortunate display of talent wasted. Lee was his own man, but this angle was not in a good way.

The band Mazzy Star recorded one of his songs, "Five String Serenade" in the 1990s. This recording probably sold more than everything else Lee wrote or recorded.

As for the album, Forever Changes, it has probably gone gold, but its record label, Elektra, has never submitted it for certification because it has gotten lost in the many ownership changes the label has gone through in the last 40 years.

Yes.

IMO, your post best answers the OP's question:"what band's achieved ceiling came in the lowest compared to their potential?"(some of the persons, groups mentioned in this thread had pretty well reached rock/super star status and/ or peaked at the time of their demise so you wonder just how high they would actually have gone-no pun intended).

Love's Forever Changes is one of the most hauntingly beautiful rock albums to come out of the 60s-or any decade.

Another masterpiece: Moby Grape's first album.

Moby Grape-from the Bay Area-were a tragic example of a band that its "achieved ceiling came in the lowest compared to their potential".

Each of the 13 songs on this album is absolutely amazing-and each has stood the test of time-they are timeless-unlike other songs/hits from bands like the Grape that were part of the San Francisco/psychedelic sound(the awful "White Rabbit" comes to mind. They can't seem make a movie about that era without this dirge on the soundtrack).

One reason for this is that the Grape album has no songs on it that would be considered "psychedelic" What it does have is the earliest example of what later would be called "country rock"(even preceding the Byrds/Gram Parsons "Sweetheart of the Rodeo"), blues, and pure, unadulterated rock-every song original, all written by the band members.

What caused this band's failure to reach their potential? Aside from the usual suspects plus some serious mental problems of one of its members-very bad management.

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Stevie Ray Vaughan

+1 for SRV

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD83:

IMO, your post best answers the OP's question:"what band's achieved ceiling came in the lowest compared to their potential?"(some of the persons, groups mentioned in this thread had pretty well reached rock/super star status and/ or peaked at the time of their demise so you wonder just how high they would actually have gone-no pun intended).

Love's Forever Changes is one of the most hauntingly beautiful rock albums to come out of the 60s-or any decade.

Good points and great examples, I agree about both groups. I have Moby Grape's album, a few tracks can be found on our vehicles' "mix-tapes" (thumb drives and SD cards). Excellent comparison to "Sweetheart of the Rodeo", another long time favorite found on the mix-tapes.

Along those lines, that time, that place I'll throw in Quicksilver Messenger Service, quintessential acid rock and John Cipollina, nice.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8323 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by JD83:

Good points and great examples, I agree about both groups. I have Moby Grape's album, a few tracks can be found on our vehicles' "mix-tapes" (thumb drives and SD cards). Excellent comparison to "Sweetheart of the Rodeo", another long time favorite found on the mix-tapes.

Along those lines, that time, that place I'll throw in Quicksilver Messenger Service, quintessential acid rock and John Cipollina, nice.

Bo Diddley's "Mona" from Quicksilver's "Happy Trails"(headphones or computer speakers, please and up the volume):

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Boston. Due to mostly, I think, to management and contract disputes, "they" only produced three albums in ten years, despite the great success of their debut. (I put "they" in quotes because I think Boston was always very much a product of Tom Sholz work, above all others.)

Seems like such a lost opportunity to me.

I disagree. I don't know how Boston could have been bigger. Yes, Tommy Scholz was the artist behind it all, but it was yuge. All three albums were great, but I agree that the first was the best as a whole.

I think that they fell into a time period when music changed away from what they were good at and the style of music they played. The mid to late 80s brought with it the hair bands and then the 90s crap. Boston was classic rock and had no place in that time through no fault of their own.

Posts: 20059 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I often wonder what would have happened had the Beatles managed to find a way to work it out. How would their music continue to evolve? IMO, neither Lennon nor McCartney were nearly the equal of Lennon and McCartney. In one respect, it allowed Ringo and George the freedom to have their moments, but still imagine the Beatles with the longevity of the Stones.

XTC and Little Feat are a given, but two big ones for me are Nick Drake (mental illness) and Gerry Rafferty (mental illness, alcoholism, and legal battles with the music industry).

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
When I think about Family Style by SRV and his brother Jimmy, I think there was still a lot variety and potential left in him. Especially since he had just gotten clean. Him and his brother playing together still puts a lump in my throat, at least he fulfilled one of his wishes before he left us.

Posts: 3571 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
The Jam, Joy Division, The Clash.

I saw The Replacements in Winter Park in 1985 and it was the worst live show I had ever seen. I asked for my money back from the doorman. They were simply too drunk to perform. Immature idiots.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:

I saw The Replacements in Winter Park in 1985 and it was the worst live show I had ever seen. I asked for my money back from the doorman. They were simply too drunk to perform. Immature idiots.

You must have caught them on an off night Big Grin.

I have seen them a dozen times, and half of the shows were like you described; too drunk to play, playing half finished covers, antagonizing the crowd, etc. One show was in front of an industry-heavy crowd in L.A. and the band just basically threw the show, intentionally sabotaging it all because they hated the whole notion of showcase gigs, hated playing the game.

Then there some shows that were great. And then there were a couple of shows that were simply amazing, some of the best shows I have ever seen, better than the Clash shows I have seen (one a club show in 1978, one on their London Calling tour). Better than or as good as The Who shows, Stones, Bowie, etc. I have witnessed. Yes, they were that good.

Which brings us back to the point of the thread; if they can be that good, why haven't they become more famous? This is the band's legacy.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16654 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Joy Division, lots of potential but that suicide thing ,,,

those left did go on as New Order,

the Jam, excellent band, not sure what the behind the scenes for the breakup,
style council did some good stuff, but no where near as good as the Jam,
Weller seems to be doing well on his own,

the Clash, one that got away from me, never got to see them live,

Joe Strummers stuff in the 2000's is fantastic, and very under rated,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MBOYD
posted Hide Post
Guns & Roses....

Posts: 684 | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
The Nails

The Hooters

The The

The Jam

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14029 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tommy Bolin comes to mind. Amazing guitar player
with two solid albums. Died way too young.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huey Lewis and The News.

Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Could have been bigger IMO. Wink

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
They were simply too drunk to perform. Immature idiots.

I saw Gordon Lightfoot in Spokane once and he was too drunk to perform. He made up for it as I saw him about 25 years later and he put on a great show.

Posts: 20059 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbsid:
Tommy Bolin comes to mind. Amazing guitar player
with two solid albums. Died way too young.

Saw him once, when he was still with Zephyr

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
As good or better than the Who Oddball?

Granted, they've had concerts that the didn't finish, at least one that a teen in the crowd, Scott Halpin, had to come up and finish the gig with them, but... the concerts I've seen of theirs have all been above average, and the best were transcendent.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I've gotta say Duane Allman too.

I've been listening to some of his "side work" recently (e.g., Boz Scaggs, Wilson Pickett) and it really makes think music lost a huge talent when he died.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6391 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post