SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What popular band most missed their potential?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What popular band most missed their potential? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Whether due to tragedy, death of member(s), discord or other reason, what band's achieved ceiling came in the lowest compared to their potential?

There are so many examples of losses, Randy Rhoads, Jim Morrison, Keith Moon, Shannon Hoon, Ronnie Van Zant + the Gaines, Duane Allman, John Bonham, to name a few, and examples other changes to groups, like Syd Barrett, which loss made the greatest impact to the world of music?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Jim Croce. I had tickets to the show he was flying to when his plane crashed.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughan

^^^^^These

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Blind Melon was juuuuuust getting started.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Buddy Holly

Robert Johnson

Posts: 13239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
For me, The Replacements could have been a much bigger band, all of the elements were there; chemistry, songwriting, etc. But due to their negative attitude with the industry, their hatred of conventional marketing & self-promotion, all fueled by self-destructive alcohol consumption, they alienated so many record industry folks that their potential rise in sales and stature was never going to go anywhere. Even though they always made the top 10 critic's lists each year, they barely sold any albums.

Another band that should have made it bigger was XTC.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
For me, The Replacements could have been a much bigger band, all of the elements were there; chemistry, songwriting, etc. But due to their negative attitude with the industry, their hatred of conventional marketing & self-promotion, all fueled by self-destructive alcohol consumption, they alienated so many record industry folks that their potential rise in sales and stature was never going to go anywhere. Even though they always made the top 10 critic's lists each year, they barely sold any albums.

This, agree 100%. Love the band!
Also Sublime could have been something had the singer not Od'D

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Boston. Due to mostly, I think, to management and contract disputes, "they" only produced three albums in ten years, despite the great success of their debut. (I put "they" in quotes because I think Boston was always very much a product of Tom Sholz work, above all others.)

Seems like such a lost opportunity to me.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Buddy Holly

Lots of good answers but this one makes me ask "What if?" more than any.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm regularly forced to listen to plenty of Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd. I honestly think 99% of that material is garbage and the band only benefited in every way from David Gilmour replacing him. It's too inaccessible. But if you have a hard-on for Frank Zappa and King Crimson, you'll love it. In the music world, that's akin to being a transgender vegan who does crossfit - everyone is going to know exactly how superior you are because you're going to tell them. At least, that's my experience with the people I've met and talked with who think Syd Barrett was a god amongst insects and sneered at anyone who likes The Division Bell because "that's not Pink Floyd."

Not in any way intended to be a slam on the OP. I have just developed some rather negative feelings for big fans of Syd Barrett based on negative experiences.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
No slam. I just threw that one out as an example for discussion. I don't have a dog in that fight.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
For me, The Replacements could have been a much bigger band, all of the elements were there; chemistry, songwriting, etc. But due to their negative attitude with the industry, their hatred of conventional marketing & self-promotion, all fueled by self-destructive alcohol consumption, they alienated so many record industry folks that their potential rise

in sales and stature was never going to go anywhere. Even though they always made the top 10 critic's lists each year, they barely sold any albums.

I saw the Replacements live in Fresno in 1989 and it totally changed my life. One of the great bands in my generation. I just finished reading "rough boys: the true story of the Replacements". Highly recommend it. But, both Paul Westerbeg and Tommy Stinson came across as just huge outright jerks. If they had just been nicer to the people trying to help them they could have been much more. But, they are now legends.

Posts: 316 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Boston. Due to mostly, I think, to management and contract disputes, "they" only produced three albums in ten years, despite the great success of their debut. (I put "they" in quotes because I think Boston was always very much a product of Tom Sholz work, above all others.)

Seems like such a lost opportunity to me.

True, but Boston has put out 3 more albums since Third Stage in 1986:

1994: Walk On
2002: Corporate America
2013: Life, Love & Hope

(and 1997: Greatest Hits)

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
[snip]Another band that should have made it bigger was XTC.

Agreed. I absorbed every minute of their material. From the In-Your-Face brash seventies, through the huge Todd Rundgren production on Skylarking, & on into mega-giants (IMO) Oranges & Lemons, and Nonsuch. I'll never fathom how they weren't more widely acclaimed.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The early or otherwise tragic death of all of them is sad, but some seem especially so for their forever unrealized and significant potential - and of all of them... I think both Buddy Holly and Hendrix were proven to be extraordinary and taken so early in their careers and are particularly tragic losses for it, with artists like Shannon Hoon and Jeff Buckley and Stevie Ray coming in close behind, if not equally.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I'm regularly forced to listen to plenty of Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd. I honestly think 99% of that material is garbage and the band only benefited in every way from David Gilmour replacing him. It's too inaccessible. But if you have a hard-on for Frank Zappa and King Crimson, you'll love it. In the music world, that's akin to being a transgender vegan who does crossfit - everyone is going to know exactly how superior you are because you're going to tell them. At least, that's my experience with the people I've met and talked with who think Syd Barrett was a god amongst insects and sneered at anyone who likes The Division Bell because "that's not Pink Floyd.".

I basically agree.

But then again, I like Load and Reload better than most Metallica since.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes.

And Tommy Keene should have been much, much bigger than he was and is.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I loved and miss Stevie Ray Vaughan. But I think we know what we would have gotten from him with a longer life. He seemed well down his musical path. Maybe it would have taken a surprise turn, and we'll never know, but . . .

Duane Allman was so young, who knows how a 24 year old might have developed? I wish he had lived longer, for sure.

Hendrix very well might have had surprises in him. He was so innovative. He is the one who raises the most questions as to where he was going.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post