SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movie: Wind River 2017
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie: Wind River 2017 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Wife and I saw it, it was excellent.

Some decent close range gunfight scenes and reloads under pressure.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imadat:
There's a scene in the movie where Renner's character is walking in the woods with his arms at 90 degrees and the rifle resting in/on his forearms.

It seems that this is not the optimal way to walk through woods when you don't know what you may run into.
Do hunters walk through the woods like Renner's charactr did? If not, what is the ideal way to walk through the woods?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Jake

Like this?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dusty,

Mostly like the picture you posted. Instead of his fingers touching, like in the picture, the hands extended 90 degrees toward the camera.

My question comes form pictures I've seen of deployed soldiers. They are using a sling, and seem to be letting the sling do most of the "work" of holding the rifle. I was wondering why Renner's character didn't do the same thing.

Thanks,

Jake

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I liked this film quite a bit. I like Taylor Sheridan as a writer. I appreciate that the tone is very serious, dark, and adult, and not like a constant wisecracking Marvel movie dialogue or full of stammering Millennials wearing comedic tee shirts making non-stop pop-culture references. I also liked the organically-feeling and messy gunfights, and not like those overly graceful and choreographed John Wick-style shootouts where all hits are instant one-two shot stops. Props to Elizabeth Olsen for properly shooting that one guy to slide-lock.

Taylor Sheridan as a director is a little lacking for me. The digitally-shot film with its ubiquitous handheld camera, constant fast-cut editing, and tight framing make this feel more like watching a made-for-TNT/TBS movie. It's not bad, just not very theatrical. Denis Villeneuve's direction on Sheridan's Sicario screenplay felt much more self-assured and cinematic, with its long-takes and "old-school" tripod/Steadicam/dolly shots.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I saw it yesterday. Great film about what has to be the saddest place on earth....yeesh!

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw this movie last night and thought it was well done and well-acted. A good murder mystery.

Was hoping member 3/4 flap had seen this and would speak to the accuracy of the movie as regards the outdoor scenes and member 2000Z-71 about the reservation scenes and life. Maybe this'll jog a comment or two from them. Smile

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Well done modern western.

Posts: 3483 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Renner usually does the gun stuff correctly. And he's another of us left handed geniuses.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just watched this last night.

Another thumbs up from me.

Really puts the spotlight on that area of the country - terrain, climate, lifestyle, etc.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
Renner usually does the gun stuff correctly. And he's another of us left handed geniuses.

Have you noticed he has terrible fingernail clubbing

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Just saw it - enjoyed it, and thanks again to SIGforum for another movie recommendation.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
I just watched it as well and I really liked it. I would definitely recommend it as well.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed it. Nice pace to it.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Though it was a well made film IMO, I found it not very enjoyable. It was a bit too dark and slow moving for me among other things.

Perhaps it's because I know that type of country and am more than familiar with the ways of the rez, but it just didn't grab me and pull me in. Just another depressing day on the rez sort of thing.

There seemed to be an overriding theme throughout designed to make you feel sorry for the Indians there which rubbed me the wrong way. It is not at all accurate that they have no choice but to live that way though the film would have you believe that.

Nice scenery and good gun-play. I'm a fan of Renner and he did a great job with this character. I also liked his choice of rifle. My second favorite rifle.

While it didn't do much for me (I'd probably give it about a 6/10), I'd certainly recommend it for others.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Just watched it on Amazon Video and liked it enough to order it on DVD. Kind of Longmire like but darker and in winter.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
Taylor Sheridan as a director is a little lacking for me. The digitally-shot film with its ubiquitous handheld camera, constant fast-cut editing, and tight framing make this feel more like watching a made-for-TNT/TBS movie. It's not bad, just not very theatrical. Denis Villeneuve's direction on Sheridan's Sicario screenplay felt much more self-assured and cinematic, with its long-takes and "old-school" tripod/Steadicam/dolly shots.

Ugh. I much prefer the later. Poor cinematography can hurt an otherwise great movie. Likewise, I've been "wowed" by amazing eye-feasting, while the story is only so-so. Thanks for the heads up.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9143 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Renner is a hell of a good actor. I thought he was good in The Town but he was really good in wind river.

Posts: 377 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Good movie but damn.....there is enough sadness in real life, I could deal with less in my movies! LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just now available on Netflix.

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
just now available on Netflix.

---------------------------------------

Watched it on Netflix this past Sunday. Really enjoyed it. I like Renner in pretty much everything he does and liked both the pace and storyline.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post