SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movie: Wind River 2017
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie: Wind River 2017 Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I watched it the other night.

I was thinking... "No wonder people on gun forums like it." Gun safety lessons and Handloading in the same movie! Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Good movie but damn.....there is enough sadness in real life, I could deal with less in my movies! LOL

I feel the opposite. I feel there's so much bland loud happy PG-13 silliness in films designed to avoid upsetting sensitive snowflakes, it feels very numbing. I start to feel blah, like I've consumed too many Twinkies in a row. I crave serious dark bleak mature adult themes and emotions such as depicted in this film. It was my favorite film from 2017. I'd much rather watch Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch solve a brutal rape death in the snow than jump around in their stupid PG-13 Marvel movies!

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw Wind River when it came out. I saw it in an empty theater; no one else went to see it. I thought the movie exceptional, and was one of the better movies I'd seen in a long time.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked this movie. Watched a few weeks back when iTunes had it for $1. Would watch it again.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had forgotten about this film and saw it’s on Netflix now and watched two nights ago. Yes I too really liked it. Sheridan’s “Hell or High Water” is on my short list of favorite films.

True, this one is dark but well done with a great cast. Did anyone else catch the line from Olsen about how she just finished a firearms training class before she arrived? That explained her lack of proper clothing.

The scene at the drilling location was damn intense and the way they had those guys positioning themselves certainly amped up my anticipation of what was going to happen.

Having worked around a “res” or two early in my first job and “with” tribal cops it definitely made me sad and brought back some awful memories.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Just watched it on Amazon Video and liked it enough to order it on DVD. Kind of Longmire like but darker and in winter.

I liked it. Additionally there were a few familiar Longmire faces in the cast to boot.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Pretty good movie, except even a 45/70 isn't going to knock someone 5 feet back especially when shot at some distance. But hey, it's still Hollywood.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched it again last night. Great movie as we have said.

I liked how Olsen's FBI agent character was proficient - but they didn't go full unrealistic 'Super Woman' with her character.

At the end - when he speaks to her in the hospital room - great wisdom imparted: When she says she got lucky - "Luck don't live out here. The wolves don't kill the unlucky deer - they kill the weak ones."

If anyone hasn't seen it - do so. Good stuff. (and yes the ballistics of the 45-70 are oversold kinda like the 12ga in Open Range but hey its Hollywood). Cool

---------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the movie.

3 pages though and I’m still thinking, what the hell is fingernail clubbing?

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
medical condition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_clubbing

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
I watched it again last night.

So did I. The first time I did I was working on a gun, so I got to pay more attention this time. still some dialog I couldn't make out, despite backing it up and listening several times. A few I made out, a couple I didn't.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
I watched it again last night.

So did I. The first time I did I was working on a gun, so I got to pay more attention this time. still some dialog I couldn't make out, despite backing it up and listening several times. A few I made out, a couple I didn't.

Sub titles are your friend.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I think the thing that bothered me the most, was the idea of him doing any real damage to someone hitting them with the flat side of a snow shovel. Big Grin

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
*** Spoiler Alert ***

I wanted to like this movie, but the shootout really bugged me.

I understand that it's a movie, but what possible reason could the drilling crew have had for gunning down an FBI agent and three cops? It's not as if no one knew where they were going. So when they didn't come back, a lot more feds and/or cops were bound to go looking for them.

Also, if I recall, there were more drilling crew members at the shootout than there were participating in the rape and murder. If so, that would mean that one or more of the drilling crew members agreed to participate in the murder of an FBI agent and three cops in order to help cover up a rape and murder they had no part in.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
*** Spoiler Alert ***

I wanted to like this movie, but the shootout really bugged me.

I understand that it's a movie, but what possible reason could the drilling crew have had for gunning down an FBI agent and three cops? It's not as if no one knew where they were going. So when they didn't come back, a lot more feds and/or cops were bound to go looking for them.

Also, if I recall, there were more drilling crew members at the shootout than there were participating in the rape and murder. If so, that would mean that one or more of the drilling crew members agreed to participate in the murder of an FBI agent and three cops in order to help cover up a rape and murder they had no part in.

SPOILER AHEAD:

They were security contractors, not drilling crew and they all were involved to some extent. Lets see, they committed attempted rape and two murders. Choice between cops and FBI agent (who were way out of radio range) finding evidence and going to jail......or.....killing everyone there and concocting a story. Lots of places to get rid of bodies and evidence.

We see shit bags shooting cops in real life to avoid going to jail. why not in film?

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

SPOILER AHEAD:

They were security contractors, not drilling crew and they all were involved to some extent. Lets see, they committed attempted rape and two murders. Choice between cops and FBI agent (who were way out of radio range) finding evidence and going to jail......or.....killing everyone there and concocting a story. Lots of places to get rid of bodies and evidence.

We see shit bags shooting cops in real life to avoid going to jail. why not in film?

Thanks jsbcody (and thanks for the correction too).

But the scene still bugs me. I agree that we see dirtbigs shooting real cops, but not like this. Those situations generally seem to be "unplanned". Here, it was planned: They security guys decided to kill the cops who showed up asking questions.

If they were going to concoct a story, it seems to me that they would have been a lot better off concocting a story when they only had two dead people. I think it would be a lot more difficult to try to explain the disappearance of four cops who were last seen on their way to your location. Even more difficult when you now have a trailer full of bullet holes.

And the numbers still don't add up for me. If I recall, there were 4, maybe 5, guys engaged in the rape/murder. But there 4 or 5 guys outside the trailer and 2 inside. That means there was 1 or 2 guys who apparently had nothing to do with the rape and murder, but who went along with a conspiracy to murder an FBI agent and three cops.

I liked most of the movie, and the shootout itself was pretty intense. But, these things really gnawed at me once the movie was over.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
We SEE 5 guys involved in the rape/murder.

4 guys outside for the shootout, two inside.

So that's 1 guy we didn't see.

Since it's just them out there, you'd have to assume they were all involved or at least all witnesses to the crime and cover up.

Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
If they were going to concoct a story, it seems to me that they would have been a lot better off concocting a story when they only had two dead people.

And the numbers still don't add up for me. If I recall, there were 4, maybe 5, guys engaged in the rape/murder.

I don't think the guards thought it out that well. One of the themes of the film is that the level of desolation and bleakness of the area drives the people stir crazy. That was why the rape happened in the first place. They didn't seem like the smartest bunch that would plan anything - they were operating on pure id.

As far as it appearing as if there were more guards participating, I just figured that they were such a close knit team, they would do whatever it took to cover each other's butts. Like in other films where they show police officers or soldiers committing crimes and the whole squad or unit backs each other up no matter what, and any member that defies that is instantly vilified - like that.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
We SEE 5 guys involved in the rape/murder.

4 guys outside for the shootout, two inside.

So that's 1 guy we didn't see.

Since it's just them out there, you'd have to assume they were all involved or at least all witnesses to the crime and cover up.

And I believe the one guy we don't see in the trailer is the angry young native, perhaps implying he was well willing to kill some "white boys".

King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Watching this again, (eta: now that it's on Netflix, which thanks to this thread I found out) really like this movie. I don't mind the harshness and slower pace. I like Renner in this a lot, and thought the more realistic gun approach was nice (other than 45-70 Jurassic World Chris Pratt rocket launcher T-Rex killer). My only joking complaint is that the Bernthal character wants to live in Ojai. Can be a great place to visit, but they definitely have some whack ass hippy types up there. I literally released a girl by the name of Sprinkle Cupcake something something...yup from Ojai. He's seems very conservative hatin NY, Chi, and LA...well other than remoteness non-metropolis feel, the people of Ojai usually aren't much better.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post