SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Shang Chi Movie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shang Chi Movie Login/Join 
posted
I was a big comic book fan when I was younger and Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu was one of my favorite characters. I used to think that it would be so cool if they made a movie about him. Well they did and its a steaming pile of crap.
Marvel completely abandoned the entire world of the comic and its cool assortment of characters for new and reimagined characters and a new backstory.
This is by far the worst MCU movie yet. What a waste, they just need to stop

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Dang, I had high hopes... Roll Eyes

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Interesting.
My coworker is a big comic guy & knows a lot of the backstory on Marvel/DC characters & he really enjoying Shang Chi.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I was a big comic book fan when I was younger and Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu was one of my favorite characters. I used to think that it would be so cool if they made a movie about him. Well they did and its a steaming pile of crap.
Marvel completely abandoned the entire world of the comic and its cool assortment of characters for new and reimagined characters and a new backstory.
This is by far the worst MCU movie yet. What a waste, they just need to stop

And I read that this was aimed right at China's huge market...but the Chicoms banned it anyway Big Grin

They'll stop churning out this Marvel garbage once it stops making them any money and not a second sooner.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I usually just wait and see what Critical Drinker or Mauler have to say about it and then decide whether or not I want to see it.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's a somewhat okay action movie for the first 2/3rds or so. The last 1/3 is an unnecessarily over-the-top CGI fest.

The main actor was likeable, but the main actress gets annoying after a while. The plot is nothing to write home about.

Other than a couple references and cameos by MCU characters, there's basically zero connection to the wider MCU. You could literally delete a few portions of a few scenes (and leave out the after credit scenes), and it'd be a totally standalone non-Marvel film.

Overall, I'd give it like a 4/10. Not enough there for non-Marvel-lovers, and even the Marvel lovers will be disappointed by the lack of actual Marvel content. But if you already have Disney+, once it eventually hits that for free, it may be worth burning a couple hours on if you have nothing better to do.

(My date was a major Marvel fan, and begged me to go with her. Even she was disappointed.)

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my biggest disappointments was with the actor that played Shang Chi. Most of Marvels casting has been pretty good. Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and Dr. Strange are good examples of this. The actors looked like the characters they played and they stayed pretty close to their characters personalities. But this actor doesn't resemble the comic Shang Chi in any way and worse, he made the character completely forgettable.
Oh yeah, I nearly forgot, Shang Chi's father was not the Mandarin. He was Fu Manchu, a completely different character.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Wife and I went to watch it. For what it's worth it a marvel action movie. You get what you pay for.

We both liked it. I actually liked how they modified the traditional Mandarin 10 rings into the arm bands vs finger rings.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
I usually just wait and see what Critical Drinker or Mauler have to say about it and then decide whether or not I want to see it.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
This is by far the worst MCU movie yet.

Worse than Black Panther? I made the mistake of seeing that at the theater, it was fucking awful.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:

He was brutal about that Awkwafina chick - and she deserved it.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post