SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The movie “Excalibur”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The movie “Excalibur” Login/Join 
posted
I remember seeing this as a high school senior when it came out and was amazed. I’ve seen it several times over the decades and it still is entertaining. Any other fans of this movie?

Posts: 5228 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I played Dungeons & Dragons in my youth, so when I saw it, Excalibur was the live-action reenactment of D&D that I had always imagined. So yes, I was/am a fan.

It's fun to see actors in it before they were famous, mainly: Helen Mirren, Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson, and Gabriel Byrne.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Yep, I am a fan. Watched it many times back in the 80s when it was on cable tv.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9406 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
I was in my first year at college when it came out. I was mesmerized by it and used to watch it whenever it came on cable. For its time (1981), I felt that it really captured the essence of the legend. I was just recently thinking that I should give it another go one of these days.

Posts: 571 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Don’t remember much if anything at all. Vague memories of the entire cast dressed as Cylons and Hellen Mirren looking hot and sexy. Fond memories.

Directed by Boorman if i remember correctly.

Today you couldn’t pay me to go watch it. Big Grin

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12244 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There were many actors in the movie that went on to become famous. Certainly Liam Neeson, Patrick Stewart and Helen Mirren come to mind.

Posts: 5228 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Yes, one of my top five. For those not familiar this film features very young versions of Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson, and Helen Mirren.

Posts: 7640 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great movie, it's one of my favorites.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3620 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was just out of HS and getting into Wagnerian opera at the time this came out and really enjoyed the film. I also thought it was really cool that Boorman used all that Wagnerian music(and the Carmina Burana/Carl Orff opening section) for the sound track. I think I read somewhere he'd gone to Bayreuth and seen some of Wagner's operas before making this film; if so, it must have really made an impression on him!

Posts: 340 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Huge fan. It hit me at exactly the right time in life (13 years old).

Fun trivia - I was watching the movie Ready Player One and there is an artifact that must be activated by a spell. As the spell is cast I realize - Hey! That's from Excalibur! It's the spell that Merlin casts on Utrecht to take on the form of his enemy so he can go sleep with his wife.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1783 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sacramento Johnson:
I also thought it was really cool that Boorman used all that Wagnerian music(and the Carmina Burana/Carl Orff opening section) for the sound track.
Carmina Burana is one of the most frequently [over]used classical pieces in movies, especially in movie trailers. Nowhere have I seen it used as dramatically and inspired as it was in Excalibur. The rest of the Wagner pieces also fit in great.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Will have to find it - I’ve not seen it.

Posts: 53714 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing it back in the 80's, but haven't thought about it in years. Might have to hunt it up again....

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3525 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Probably the best Merlin character ever on the big screen. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16496 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Love that movie. Have the DVD somewhere but no more player.

Agree that Nicol Williamson's Merlin was the best I've seen.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4383 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Annal Nathrak
Uth Vos Bethos
Doth Neiel De Envey

Posts: 10213 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm a fan! Didn't realize it was Gabriel Byrne though. I did recognize Liam Neeson and Patrick Stewart though. It's a great movie but I haven't watched it in some years though.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5497 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Probably the best Merlin character ever on the big screen. Smile

Definitely agree with that!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14134 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Who can top Mirren’s Morgana?

Posts: 5740 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My favorite King Arthur movie of all time.

Posts: 7368 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post