SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Fellow Hams: Bought an HF radio, now what
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Fellow Hams: Bought an HF radio, now what Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted
Had my tech ticket for a little over a year. studying (miserably) to take my General test this month. So today I made a deal on QRZ for a Yaseau FT-450AT. It should arrive next week.

So plunging into the HF universe, of course I need coax and an antenna. Looking to do phone as my brain is not wired to do CW. Looking at antenna stuff, I get overwhelmed. I probably will set up a dipole but I'm wondering if a vertical will be a good starting point.

So what suggestions do any of you have for an entry level antenna to get started. Thanks.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 11688 | Location: Willow Fen Farm | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My vote would be a G5RV type center fed 80-6 dipole. String it up between two trees and you're good to go for pretty much everything. I've talked around the world with one. They are also relatively cheap.

Palomar G5RV/ZS6BKW

The best antenna, IMO, is a horizontal delta loop. Mine is 160M. I only need a tuner on 160M. Every other band is less than 2:1. I have it up at 30 feet and it goes everywhere. It is the quietest antenna that I've ever had. VERY low noise. If you've got the land to string one up, I can't recommend them enough.

This is the one I have from Palomar.

While verticals can be handy, in my experience they are quite noisy and you need to put down a shit ton of radials in order to get them to work well. I don't have one, but a buddy does. He put it on a tower and while it works well and has a small footprint, he complains about the noise levels and is in the process of putting up a delta loop to use instead. YMMV.

Also, if you have some extra scratch, I'd invest in a RigExpert Antenna Analyzer.. They aren't cheap, but they are very handy for trimming up wire antennas to resonance across the bands.


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
 
Posts: 23110 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Just remember that as a tech you are band limited. Buying the equipment is usually step two instead of step one. But good luck on the general exam and welcome to the club. HF is fun
 
Posts: 55333 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Just remember that as a tech you are band limited. Buying the equipment is usually step two instead of step one. But good luck on the general exam and welcome to the club. HF is fun


Thanks Greg. As to buying equipment, I'd rather do this incrementally rather than all at once. And as fall is rapidly approaching, I'd rather be rigging up an antenna in fall, rather than winter temps. Looking forward to the new adventure and lots of learning. That and I'll likely do lots of listening before I ever key up (after receiving the proper license of course).

Gustofer, thanks for the links. We have 6 acres so plenty of space but that dipole looks like what i was considering. The radio I bought does have an internal tuner. I know that's limited compared to an external one but it probably would be fine with this radio based on your experience.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 11688 | Location: Willow Fen Farm | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Since you have a good chunk of land at some point give some thought to a possible tower. I have a 50’ in my back yard with a 10’ mast on top. Have a folded center fed dipole and a vhf/uhf whip style. Will be installing an end fed 80m long wire in a few weeks.

I used LMR400 and N connectors on everything. I just picked up a 2 kW tube amp but need a separate power circuit for it so it’s gonna be awhile.

I’ve been hacking away on my Extra studies for 2 years. Finally broke down and subscribed to hamtestonline and am determined to get my Extra before the end of the year.
 
Posts: 55333 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I’ve been hacking away on my Extra studies for 2 years. Finally broke down and subscribed to hamtestonline and am determined to get my Extra before the end of the year.

I did my General and Extra the same day. After studying both ARRL books, I felt pretty confident. Then a friend (Extra) turned me on to hamtestonline. After doing that for a week or two I sailed through both exams. Unfortunately, I'm a "use it or lose it" kind of guy and have since forgotten much of what I learned. But I know where to find the answers. Wink

And, since I've become somewhat proficient at CW, I can't be accused of not being a "real" Extra by the old timers. Big Grin


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
 
Posts: 23110 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I'll just leave this here... Wink



____________________________________________________________

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 47....Making America Great Again!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
 
Posts: 11249 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Someday. [/swoon]


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
 
Posts: 23110 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
"Breaker, breaker one-nine, this is the Big Burner. Any little burners got their ears on?"

It'll help you fit right in Big Grin






Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.



"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...



 
Posts: 15033 | Location: It was CA., Now it's "FREEEEEEDOM!!" (TN) | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I got my tech back in March of this year - then my general about a week or two later.
Bought myself an Icom 7300mk2 and a Comet CHA-250HD.
The radio is good.
The antenna is... well.. it's OK I guess.
It covers damn near every HF band possible.
I can HEAR folks pretty well.
I've heard conversations as far away as Russia and Japan.
However the best I've gotten for transmit was some fellow in Kentucky on 40m (I'm in NC).
I need to take some time and money and try out a dipole or something...





This is where my signature goes.
 
Posts: 1673 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
The radio I bought does have an internal tuner. I know that's limited compared to an external one but it probably would be fine with this radio based on your experience.

I'm not familiar with your model, but yeah...Yaesu's internal tuners typically max out at 3:1. It is what prompted me to buy my analyzers (one stays at home and the other is in my portable pack) so that I can trim them close enough that the internal tuner will handle the rest.

HF is a fun hobby, but it sure can get expensive. Wink


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
 
Posts: 23110 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
HF is a fun hobby, but it sure can get expensive. Wink


Yea, just what I need, another expensive hobby Smile What I didn't spend on cigars and bourbon usually went into the watch fund. Smile

Trying to keep the radio habit on the cheap as I learn it.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 11688 | Location: Willow Fen Farm | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://palomar-engineers.com/...POTA-SOTA-p572847523

I use this antenna.

You MAY connect it directly to your radio. But, you will need to protect your home from lightning so you must physically disconnect it in times of risk.


OR you can create a permanent protected feedline to your shack. I finally did that.


Good feedline coax source is ABR Industries.


-------
Trying to simplify my life...
 
Posts: 6282 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Passed my General exam today. I plan on keeping my current call sign.

Need to get busy and setting up an antenna.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 11688 | Location: Willow Fen Farm | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Sir! Cool


____________________________________________________________

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 47....Making America Great Again!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
 
Posts: 11249 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Congrats!


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
 
Posts: 23110 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Well done!
 
Posts: 14922 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Passed my General exam today. I plan on keeping my current call sign.

Need to get busy and setting up an antenna.


That's great Brad. I got a old friend that died vanity call sign. To honor him and because I like ZZ Top

N5ZZT


_______________________________________________________
And no, junior not being able to hold still for 5 seconds is not a disability.



 
Posts: 13184 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Fellow Hams: Bought an HF radio, now what

© SIGforum 2026