SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    C4 Corvettes (84-96) Any experts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

C4 Corvettes (84-96) Any experts? Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
I am pondering a purchase of one of these as a second car/fun car. It would not be a daily driver.

In my price range, I'm probably looking at an 84 up to a 92-ish version. I'm not dead set on any particular feature or variant, but I'm trying to avoid two particular issues: 1 - the 1984 model because Crossfire injection is a terrible set-up and severely underpowered, and 2 - any combination of red on red that was very popular in these mid-80s, early 90s 'Vettes.

What else do I need to know?

(Other than to somehow find a unicorn - ZR1 under $10k) Cool

I'm basically looking in the $5-8000 range, at these cars specifically because A. I like to go fast, and B. I believe they are at the bottom of their depreciation curve and will be on the way up from here. Not huge, mind you, but a car you could buy, drive for a couple years, sell, and not lose your ass on.

ETA: I have access to a fully-tooled shop with a lift. Working on my own stuff has never been an issue. (Mechanical, not body) This is not a car I would take to somebody - especially not a dealer - and have work done. That would be a sudden and certain loss of any investment almost immediately.

Posts: 10748 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/

Heres a link to the c5 portion of the Corvette Forum. I'd ask there, as well as take a look at the various stickies they have on that generation.

Good Luck.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One issue with C4's were the electronic dash boards. If you jump started the car the "wrong way" is would short out the dash.

Been a long time, but I seem to remember you had to pull the fuse before you attempted to jump them.

So if you find one that the dash is not working but the guy says its a "fuse", more than likely it is cooked. But understand we sold our shop in 2001 so there could have been upgrades I dont know about.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would go for a C5. They are much better and you can find one for under 10k now.

If you are stuck on a C4, avoid the early years for sure. Do you really want a 200 hp Corvette??

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
A corvette between those years is only good for 70-80k before just about everything on the car falls apart. ( I worked at a Chevy dealer in the early 90's) I would strongly suggest something after 98 with the LS1 engine. They finally started making good power around then and the reliability improved vastly.
The one caveat would be if you could find a 96 Gran Sport with the LT4 350. That engine was a ripper.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Had an 86, no real issues with it other than a few spots of paint quality, biggest PIA is getting in and out with the large tall side sills.

Easy to work on, parts are not expensive, Ecklers/Mid America sell about every part and
bolt on stick on geehaw.

Low HP, high rear gears long distance cruisers, hot rods they are not, however, you can build one into a pretty quick street car, Just change the rear diff, fix up the shift points, higher stall tq converter and a 150 shot of NOS and it's a mid to low 12 second car...

If you can get a c5 for similar money, go that route, enjoyed mine for several years, and it has the flip up headlights which IMHO should always be on a Vette...

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
and it has the flip up headlights which IMHO should always be on a Vette...

And the congregation said: "Amen!"

And I also agree that the huge clamshell hood was a wonderful idea for working on your own car. Open it up and boom! Everything is right there. (At your ankles, but still.) Smile

Thanks for the information. The strongest contenders right now are a low mileage 89 at around 5500 and a nicer low mileage 96 at just a tick over 9000.

I should have stated that I'm mainly looking at coupes - unless I just find a killer deal on a vert. I know the C5 is a better car in almost every regard, but around here the only sub $10K versions of it are all high mileage. (100,000+)

Posts: 10748 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Stay away from anything with the LT-1/Optispark distributor.

Optispark distributors are not cheap. If the fail or if you need to replace just the distributor cap be prepared to remove the drive belts and water pump. For those that do not know, GM moved the distributor from the rear of the SBC to the front of the engine behind the water pump due to the design of the induction system.

On that issue, there were two model changes in the LT-1 and parts were getting hard to find, a lot of them were already discontinued when I left the dealership world in 2017. One big stumbling block was just that, the engine block. The casting was different due to the front mounted distributor. There were no service replacement engines in either the GM Performance Parts or GM Powertrain lineup so the only way to fix one with a broken block would be a salvage yard engine. While I was selling GM Performance Parts at the big meets like GOODGUYS, NSRA, Corvette Homecoming I could count on at least one "Can you get me a new LT-1 for my Corvette/Impala/Camaro/Trans Am", (You get the idea) per meet.Wish I could have helped them but there was nothing available.

I too vote for an LS powered car. That engine just amazes me with the horsepower potential it has.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would look for a 1996 LT4 that only came in 6-speed manual. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post