SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Vanishing Point (1971)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vanishing Point (1971) Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
I drive a lot for my job/work and every time I see a Dodge Charger I think of this movie... Vanishing Point from back in the early '70s with Barry Newman. Finally broke down this past weekend and watched it again after 48 or 49 years.... there was of course a lot I had forgotten ... like the entire back story of Kowalski.... of course the ending did not surprise me this time.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Challenger not a Charger Cool

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
From the Wiki page for the film: 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 Magnum

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Much of the remake of Vanishing Point, with Viggo Mortensen as the driver was shot in Williams, Arizona. We were living and working there at the time and I took a day or two off work to be an extra in the movie. I played FBI SWAT. It was kinda fun shooting (literally) the climatic scene.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Best part of that movie was Gilda. The car was kind of cool too.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I drove through Cisco, UT, back in 2011. That was where the Shell Station was where the bulldozers were parked in that movie. That Shell Station was still there after all that time ... barely.

1971:

2011:

Posts: 5586 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'd forgotten about that movie. I'll have to check it out again.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Definitely one of my favorites, I guess it's time to watch it again.

I also like the video by Audioslave "Show me how to live" I am guessing that they are fans of the movie as well.

The remake was not bad, but the original is always better.

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I drive a lot for my job/work and every time I see a Dodge Charger I think of this movie... Vanishing Point from back in the early '70s with Barry Newman.

There was a Charger in Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry a few years later, which had a similar ending. I visited the spot where that movie started and ended also back in 2010.

Posts: 5586 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vanishing Point and Sugarland Express are two of my favorite chase movies from the 70s.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
And remember too that Clevon Little was in it too, Supersoul, the radio DJ.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8107 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Best part of that movie was Gilda.

My first bike was a 1970 red/white Honda CL175K4.

After "Vanishing Point" I had the urge to upgrade to the 350. Several times.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost a poll question; the version with Charlotte Rampling, or no? I watch it once a year.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post