SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    It's a Wonderful Life- 75th anniversary celebration to include theater showings across the US
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's a Wonderful Life- 75th anniversary celebration to include theater showings across the US Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
One of my annual traditions is to watch this classic at Christmas time. Normally my well worn DVD copy gets played while wearing sweat pants/ comfy clothing and eating snacks or popcorn and hot chocolate, with 'pauses' for various reasons... but it might be fun to switch things up this year and actually see this classic in a local theater.

==================

‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ is coming back to theaters

"It's a Wonderful Life" will be shown at nearly 900 movie theaters nationwide for two nights only.(ParamountPictures/Pixabay)

By Emily Van de Riet
Published: Nov. 29, 2022 at 10:13 AM MST|Updated: 10 hours ago

(Gray News) – In honor of its 75th anniversary, “It’s a Wonderful Life” will be coming back to theaters.

The Christmas classic will be shown at nearly 900 movie theaters nationwide for two nights only. You’ll be able to catch the film Dec. 18 and 21.

The movie premiered in New York on Dec. 20, 1946, and was followed by its nationwide release on Jan. 7, 1947, according to IMDb.

For tickets or to see if “It’s a Wonderful Life” is coming to a theater near you, click here.

https://www.fathomevents.com/categories/classics

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Watched it tonight and it's showing about 45 minutes away in the theatre next Sunday. We plan on going.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the heads up.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We watched it in a theater that was almost 100 years old not too long ago. Unfortunately the seats felt every bit of their age. Love the movie though.

Posts: 17890 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
I just checked and the theater closest to me only has one showing on the 18th, and there are only 4 seats remaining for that show. The 21st has two showings and there are many more seats available, but still several of the prime seating locations are already reserved. Obviously fans are eager for the opportunity to see this classic while it's being shown on the big screen.

If anyone is planning on attending this limited release, I'd suggest you start checking your local theater showings and reserving your seats soon.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
We watched it in a theater that was almost 100 years old not too long ago. Unfortunately the seats felt every bit of their age. Love the movie though.

How cool is that! I'd love to be able to see this classic in an old theater like that.

In the small town I spent part of my childhood in we had a tiny old theater that was built in 1914, for both movies and vaudeville shows, with a stage trapdoor, and both main floor and balcony seating as well.

Most weekends I had chores to do, but occasionally I'd get to walk a couple miles to the old theater to spend some of my allowance to catch a matinee with some popcorn and candy. The younger kids like me sat on the main floor, but the older cool kids would sit with their friends or dates in the balcony seating.

The theater is still in operation, still shows movies, and has been listed to the National Registry of Historic Places.

I guess you wouldn't see too many 7 or 8 year old kids walking a couple miles by themselves to a theater these days, but that is a fond memory of mine now.

Glad you were able to catch this wonderful movie in an old classic theater... even if your back or backside had to suffer a little. Smile

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

How cool is that! I'd love to be able to see this classic in an old theater like that.

In the small town I spent part of my childhood in we had a tiny old theater that was built in 1914, for both movies and vaudeville shows, with a stage trapdoor, and both main floor and balcony seating as well.

Most weekends I had chores to do, but occasionally I'd get to walk a couple miles to the old theater to spend some of my allowance to catch a matinee with some popcorn and candy. The younger kids like me sat on the main floor, but the older cool kids would sit with their friends or dates in the balcony seating.

The theater is still in operation, still shows movies, and has been listed to the National Registry of Historic Places.

I guess you wouldn't see too many 7 or 8 year old kids walking a couple miles by themselves to a theater these days, but that is a fond memory of mine now.

Glad you were able to catch this wonderful movie in an old classic theater... even if your back or backside had to suffer a little. Smile

That’s what this place was - a movie palace and vaudeville show theater. The stage was gone however, just two sections of the old seating were in place in the condensed center of the building using a small modern screen. A lot of the building was used for displays and other unique things. They had recreated the marquee in front. A really mixed use place, but the owner died recently and now it has two or three specialty shops inside but I think the seating remains for small showings or performances.

Posts: 17890 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Remember when this film was in the public domain and it got aired about 60 times between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day?

Then, NBC or whoever snatched it up and they air it once a year. Roll Eyes

I'm not paying any corporation to see this film. I've seen it so many times, I can practically quote the dialogue.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Decades ago, my wife and I saw it in a revival art house theater, when actual film projectors were the norm. If that same experience came along, I would see it, but in a newer digital theater, I'll stay home and watch it on my digital TV.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I'll never get tired of watching this movie. I try to watch it every year.

Already watched it last week with some friends whose children hadn't seen it. It won't keep me from continuing to watch it but I've become overly critical of the premise of the movie. There is no way George would have considered suicide. Just as Clarence disgustingly scolded him for considering it over $8K,George would have felt the same way. He wouldn't have done that to his family.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
I've become overly critical of the premise of the movie. There is no way George would have considered suicide.

I always figured that Clarence was lying through his teeth to George about the alternate reality just to get his wings, although the sentiment is fine. But, you mean to tell me that the military sent up a squadron with one less fighter plane to cover the troop transport just because a guy didn't exist in that dimension? I don't think it works that way. And, there is no way in hell I'm going to believe that a 25-year-old Donna Reed would become a spinster because NO ONE else in Bedford Falls would find her attractive except George. She'd have a line of suitors around the block!

Posts: 5586 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post