SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    TCM Movie Alert: Three great crime films
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCM Movie Alert: Three great crime films Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Airing tonight beginning at 8 PM Eastern, the original Get Carter, a British crime drama from 1971 starring the one and only Michael Caine. I love this guy. If for nothing else, stick around to watch him use a SIG P210 to solve a pest problem.

After that is a film many people these days have not seen- from 1973, directed by Peter Yates, The Friends of Eddie Coyle starring Robert Mitchum in a role tailor-made for him. A great 1970s American crime film, nothing glamorous about it.

After that is one of the finest films ever made- from 1974, Chinatown. Ever notice how Nicholson is in every scene? Just like Raymond Chandler novels. Robert Towne's script is still considered one of the near-perfect scripts in all of American film. Roman Polanski's direction is spot-on. If you've never seen Chinatown, you are really missing out.

Michael Caine with his P210

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
When I read that I picture the guy on TCM movie channel doing his dialog between movies or breaks LOL.... Have to put those on the list....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Watched the last hour of the movie, interesting to see the original vs the more modern version with Stalone where They kill Carter at the end, didn't realize that the new version had changed that.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have never seen Get Carter, looks like one I would like. Seen Chinatown a couple times, it's a good flick. The scene with the nose still gets me.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Watched the last hour of the movie, interesting to see the original vs the more modern version with Stalone where They kill Carter at the end, didn't realize that the new version had changed that.
As Eddie Muller pointed out- and as the 1971 film shows- Carter is a psychopath. Look at the revenge he exacts and the way he goes about it. Sylvester Stallone doesn't have the acting courage to play such a character. Everything he does is justified. The 2000 version is a joke.

posted Hide Post
The soundtrack for Chinatown is one of my favorites. Really evocative of the time frame of the film.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Sorry I missed this thread yesterday

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The soundtrack for Chinatown is one of my favorites. Really evocative of the time frame of the film.
Jerry Goldsmith

That trumpet, man, that trumpet...

...and in L.A. Confidential. Again, that trumpet...

Doesn't it just make you want to time travel to Southern California in the '40s and '50s? Feel that sun, and the freedom of the wide open spaces. What a time and place.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
the movie guy they bring on the local talk radio station was talking about these 3 movies on TCM yesterday AM,

they (local host, and movie guy) started out talking about some Marvel Movie,
movie guy said he was not amused with the new Marvel/Disney offering since they had expanded the universe so much it was confusing not to mention it was nothing but a CGI fest,, the cut right to a conversation about these 3 movies,

I thought that bit was great, you rarely hear someone appreciating good movies

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I no longer get TCM on Comcast. Mad
But,
Chinatown is on Netflix. I started watching it too late at night last week and need to restart it.
Not sure about where to get the other two but I'll have to check them out.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Friends of Eddie Coyle

I did watch this for the first time. Good movie and Mitchell was great.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
My only regret about cutting the cord on cable is losing TCM. There is a TCM hub on HBO Max, but content wise, it doesn't compare to TCM's over the air schedule.

I don't get why TCM doesn't offer a streaming app. I'd pay for that in an instant.

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
DVR used for all three. As soon as I get done with (again!) Ice Station Zebra, I'll queue them up.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, every Friday this month, TCM is airing neo-noir films, which is the term for films made in the noir style, but made after the classic period of 1941 to 1959.

Eddie Muller has picked another Mike Hodges/Michael Caine film. Made the year after Get Carter, it's Pulp. This is a fun film, although it could be better. Still, though, this is exactly the kind of film TCM should be striving to air at all times- seldom seen, quirky, not for everyone, but with an eye towards the genuine fans of film.

And if each of these films is supposed to be representative of neo-noir, then, after Pulp comes what is to me the best example of neo-noir- Lawrence Kasdan's Body Heat, 1981. Man, this film hits all the marks. Kathleen Turner plays the ultimate neo-femme fatale. William Hurt is the poor schlub who never knew what hit him. Richard Crenna as the husband, Ted Danson as the friend.

After that is William Friedkin's To Live and Die in L.A.. I know this film has gained status over the years, although when it came out, I recall people mocking it. Me? I don't care for it, but I'll take a look at it to jog my memory.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
Best parts of To Live and Die in L.A. are the soundtrack and the freeway chase with the Feds.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Tonight, it's the Coen's Blood Simple. I like the film. It's a great premier effort from them. To me, the best thing about this film is M. Emmet Walsh. John Getz and Frances McDormand, I could do without in this film.

After that is Arthur Penn's Night Moves, 1975. Well worth your time. Gene Hackman, a very young Melanie Griffith, and a smaller part for James Woods.

Last up is Cutter's Way from 1981. It's been so long since I've seen this film, all I remember is someone riding a horse through a plate glass window, and that's probably not right, either. Anyway, Jeff Bridges films are always worth a look.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I recorded Chinatown last week. I hope to watch it, for the first time, this week.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Tonight, it's the Coen's Blood Simple. I like the film. It's a great premier effort from them. To me, the best thing about this film is M. Emmet Walsh.

I remember watching this on cable, not realizing it was the Coen's first release and what that would mean later on. We just knew we were unexpectedly mesmerized and couldn't look away. I remember our real amazement as the story unfolded, was what would be a forensic orgy of evidence if the film were set at a later time in history. It was fascinating to me.

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Walsh didn't really trust the Coens at first and he insisted on being paid in cash in installments as the filming progressed. I vaguely recall a story about Walsh walking around the film set with wads of bills bulging in his pockets.

posted Hide Post
I like crime dramas. Real life documentaries are my favorite.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post