New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midnight Cowboy Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
Midnight Cowboy

Watched this on Blu-Ray last night. I hadn't seen it since 1969 and had forgotten much of the details. What a great movie! Hoffman & Voight were in their prime and nominated for Oscars. Won Oscars for best picture, best director and best adapted screenplay. Gritty, X-rated movie showing the ugly underbelly of NYC in the '60's. Great ending, great music.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Yes, I had to buy the DVD because 'MC' never seems to be shown no matter the provider. Kind of like 'Clockwork Orange', unairable on most channels without being butchered. The late 60's led to a magical time for Hollywood, that's for sure. Well, that being my generation's time, it had to be really shocking for those older.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Ridley— I believe both of them have played on TCM. Turner Classic Movies.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
Ridley— I believe both of them have played on TCM. Turner Classic Movies.

If so, I missed them. I'm sure I would have DVR'd them given the opportunity. I have the Blu-Rays of both so I'm covered. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Was on one of my movie channels (Dish) a bunch of times a few months ago. It was probably HDNET as their programmers actually have some taste.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is an excellent picture.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Excellent performances by Jon Voight and especially Dustin Hoffman, but, ultimately, a depressing film and I haven't watched it in years and probably never will again.

Dustin Hoffman's "I'm walkin' heah!!" line is infused into American pop culture to the degree that people who couldn't tell you where the line came from use it.

Uttered by Mary McFly in Back to the Future II and by Lieutenant Dan in Forrest Gump, the line also made it into- of all things- Mel Gibson's Apocalypto from 2006, a film about Mayans in the early 16th Century. Uttered by the villain of the film, Zero Wolf as tree cutters fell a large tree right next to him, he exclaims- in the Yucatec Maya language, no less- "I am walking here!!"

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para,
If I remember correctly, that scene and line were totally unscripted. The cab driver kinda meandered into the scene, and tried to “nudge” his way through the intersection (typical NYC cabby fashion). That was Hoffman’s actual reaction, and they left it in the movie.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You are correct, and we have Dustin Hoffman to thank for this bit of pop culture, as well as director John Schlesinger for very wisely including the ad lib in his film.

Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Midnight Cowboy is on TCM at 1215a Monday.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
TTT for those who wanted to see it again.

posted Hide Post
When the Oscars came around that year, one of the last awards was for best actor. John Wayne won for True Grit and beat out Dustin Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy. At the time, I believe it was said that he got it because he had never won an Oscar and this might be his last chance. Shortly thereafter, came the award for best picture.
Before announcing the winner, they showed clips from each of the nominated movies. For Midnight Cowboy, they showed the clip of Hoffman and Voight on the bus to Florida and Hoffman is dying. I remember thinking the producers of the Oscars have a lot of balls to give the best actor Oscar to John Wayne and then show that scene with **edited**. Amazing performance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gritty, X-rated movie showing the ugly underbelly of NYC in the '60's. Great ending, great music.

And today it would probably be PG 13.

Yep depressing but so well done.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
NK402, don't post spoilers, please.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I watched the film twice, first time on TV and the second time at an art house movie theater in the early 80s. Really good movie, but a downer for sure, just gritty and grimy. Maybe not as depressing as They Shoot Horses, Don't They? , but it s something I haven't purchased on disc. This thread and the Godfather one are reminders of how great the 60s-70s were for American cinema. God, just so many great films.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Excellent performances by Jon Voight and especially Dustin Hoffman, but, ultimately, a depressing film and I haven't watched it in years and probably never will again.

Dustin Hoffman's "I'm walkin' heah!!" line is infused into American pop culture to the degree that people who couldn't tell you where the line came from use it.

Uttered by Mary McFly in Back to the Future II and by Lieutenant Dan in Forrest Gump, the line also made it into- of all things- Mel Gibson's Apocalypto from 2006, a film about Mayans in the early 16th Century. Uttered by the villain of the film, Zero Wolf as tree cutters fell a large tree right next to him, he exclaims- in the Yucatec Maya language, no less- "I am walking here!!"

Ha, that was a funny scene in Apocalypto.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post