SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Downton Abby (Netflix)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Downton Abby (Netflix) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Wife and i just finished all six seasons.

Exceptionally well done IMO.

For those unaware, it is begins just before WWI and follows the life of a Lord (a Duke i think) and his family and servants.

Lots of little quips and sarcasm.

Oh, and just a warning, more than few episodes seem to draw A LOT of dust into the room. Best to have the lights down low so your significant other doesn’t think you’re crying. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
My wife is a big fan and I watched the last few seasons with her.

The series is not usually my cup of tea but is surprisingly watchable.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I made fun of my wife and mom for a few years as they watched it. Cant remember why, nothing else on TV?, but I watched an episode with wife and was hooked. Went back to S-1/E-1 and loved every minute of it. Really gets into the people and times they lived in, and their attitudes. I believe there is a 2nd movie being made now. Cant wait. Great show, great scenery and great personalities.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
My wife & I have watched it numerous times. She's probably watched the entire series ten-plus times. I have likely seen it all at least four.

I was surprised initially when I found how much I enjoyed it. I originally agreed to watch it with her because she watches stuff with me that's not high on her list. My preconceived notion about it couldn't have been more wrong.

We then saw, and bought the movie & are anxiously waiting for the next one.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We dug into it when we were both down with da 'Rona.
My wife got ahead of me after we'd recovered & I never picked it back up.

The seasons I did watch were entertaining & well done.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
If you like Downton Abbey, be sure to watch the movie Gosford Park. Julian Fellowes won an Oscar for the screenplay and it's what put him on the map as a writer. Downton Abbey is his creation. If you can find the Gosford Park DVD be sure to watch Fellowes' commentary - it's every bit as good as the movie.

Check out his Belgravia, too, about post Napoleanic War London.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it a lot!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Like others here are noting, after we finished the "Gilded Age" on HBO, wife and I decided to give Downton Abby a try.

We were hooked by the end of the first episode and I cannot recall a bad episode - except maybe the ones which brought a hella lotta dust into the room Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
If you like Downton Abbey, be sure to watch the movie Gosford Park. Julian Fellowes won an Oscar for the screenplay and it's what put him on the map as a writer. Downton Abbey is his creation. If you can find the Gosford Park DVD be sure to watch Fellowes' commentary - it's every bit as good as the movie.

Check out his Belgravia, too, about post Napoleanic War London.

THANK YOU!!

Will look for these

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I just saw today that there is a second sequel moving coming out this month.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Great series. My wife and I are both anxiously awaiting the release of the second sequel later this month.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
My wife discovered this show recently and is really enjoying working her way through the episodes.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent entertainment. Like all shows, some downs, but mostly really great TV. I've watched the entire series perhaps 3 times. The first movie was quite good as well.

Belgravia is worth watching, and I also like The Gilded Age quite a lot.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Excellent entertainment. Like all shows, some downs, but mostly really great TV. I've watched the entire series perhaps 3 times. The first movie was quite good as well.

Belgravia is worth watching, and I also like The Gilded Age quite a lot.

I've probably seen it that many times, some episodes maybe more
wife has the DVD set and watches in every now and then

I liked Gilded Age, but it seemed to be a bit forced,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife made me start it but I finished watching it willingly. Good show. The movie was good as well.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post