SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Soviet Storm: WWII in the East - pretty darn good history series on Prime
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soviet Storm: WWII in the East - pretty darn good history series on Prime Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I just started watching this series of documentaries, and ended up binge-watching both seasons over the course a few days. The description of a CGI component put me off initially, until I saw just how well it was done - very, very well, that is.

This series has been out since 2011 and was produced in Russia for Russian television. It's in English, though. I have to say, it's one of the better WWII documentary series I've seen. It's extremely detailed, down to dates and times of battles and events. It is, obviously, about WWII on the eastern front, and the final episode is about the Soviet Union's war with Japan in August 1945.

The series is a mix of narratives, actual footage, CGI and live acting. And it's done exceptionally well. I would have thought that a Russian produced series might have been very nationalist, and minimized the war on the western front, but it doesn't, and presents a very fair and often humiliating confession of how the war was prosecuted from the Soviet view point. This is what The History Channel ought to produce.

If you have time and Amazon Prime, and like WWII history, give an episode or two a watch. You might get hooked, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Operati...t-video%2C164&sr=1-1

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! I'm very much looking forward to watching this.

Not trying to "steal your thunder", but I found out it's available on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...SsXFcIH-ba0nWuNbHOM6

I'm in the middle of reading a book by the fantastic author Antony Beevor; "The Fall of Berlin 1945".
It's a great read, that begins at the start of 1945, chronicling both German and Russian militaries and civilian experiences.

He also wrote a book on the battle of Stalingrad.

I highly recommend these books anytime, but especially now for you after having watched the documentary.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Episode and a half in. The blend of newsreel footage, still pictures of prominent people & events, live actors and CGI seems to be working better as I get used to it. Will keep watching but probably not binge.

12.30.20 ETA: Still watching. I found the episode on the Caucasus particularly interesting since I know someone who climbed Mt. Elbrus.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Good to know, I'll check them out.

Not looking for spoilers, but did they cover the Nazi Soviet Non Aggression Pact and the Katyn massacre?

Those are kind of bellwether events - honest coverage of those from Russian sources would be noteworthy.

Posts: 15032 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I’ve watched the first two and they are really well done.
I wouldn’t have thought they were produced by the Russians from watching.

Posts: 9522 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
The Cyrillic names for the Russian cities on the maps would have you wondering.

I'm on Episode 4. it's a genuinely good series, with lots of good insights. I already had it in my watchlist, but hadn't started it yet because the name of it seemed so generic it had me wondering if it was another dog.

Speaking of generic names, a friend of mine from Jr High had a brother in school two years behind us. "Fuckin' John" he muttered one day. I chuckled and asked what he had done. He told me John had turned in a book report and gotten an A grade. I said "so what?"
He said it was for a book entitled Hitler: The Face of Evil. "But the book doesn't actually exist, he made it all up".
That's the first time I realized just how many books and TV shows were all essentially the same, and very remedial for most people who had done any real reading. And that was in 1981. Even today, most are still crappy dogs. And they'll do anything about Hitler and or/Nazi's: Hitler's Chauffer, Hitler's Secret Plans, Hitler's Herb Garden, Hitler's Pencil Box, etc.

Micropterus has it right, this is what the history channel should be producing.

Posts: 7263 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I’m impressed by the accuracy and neutrality of the series. It describes, for example, the summary judgments against Pavlov and other Soviet generals who had been defeated by the Germans, and their rapid execution.

I may finally have a reasonable understanding of the war in the East.

Right now I’m seeing Guderian flying to Berlin to plead in vain that his group not be sent to the south. Hitler’s insistence on the order led to the catastrophe at Stalingrad.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I watched several episodes yesterday. Seems to be pretty accurate.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I got through with Moscow last night.

This show makes it easy to see where others have had to give just an outline, omitting details and consolidating facts to save time. Very enlightening viewing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,

Posts: 7263 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I finished it this morning. No spoilers, but the final episode really pissed me off.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Not surprisingly, it skips over Soviet atrocities and even much of the German ones too.
Still more unbiased than NPR.
The blend of old footage with new graphics is impressive and gives a much better picture than old fuzzy photos.

Posts: 9522 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Another minor gripe is that about 50% of the show is narration over maps, but while the narration is translated into English, the maps are all still in Cyrillic. Makes it a little tough to follow along at times.

But redoing the narration in English was assuredly way cheaper and easier than redoing all the animated maps would have been.

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I am enjoying it.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post