SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Gordon Lightfoot has passed, Sorry to our friends up north.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gordon Lightfoot has passed, Sorry to our friends up north. Login/Join 
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Jocko Willink's Tribute

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His memorial service was held in his hometown at the church where he sang in the choir as a teen. The dog belonging to one of his tour people came and laid down by his casket. The two of them had bonded while on the road.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/ente...011b8c0a481572&ei=79

Posts: 2775 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite song of his was "Early Morning Rain". He was an great performer and I saw him in June of 1982. Upon his passing I saw this in the Detroit Free Press. What a cool tribute.

Decades ago, in the final verse of his most beloved hit, Gordon Lightfoot depicted a solemn scene at Mariners’ Church of Detroit: "The church bell chimed 'til it rang 29 times / For each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald.”

At 3 p.m. Tuesday, the bell at Mariners’ Church rang out again — now chiming 30 times to honor those perished sailors along with the artist who famously memorialized them in song.

Lightfoot, who died Monday in Toronto at age 84, topped the pop charts in the U.S. and his native Canada with “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” his 1976 account of the Great Lakes freighter that sank in Lake Superior the year prior.
Gordon Lightfoot in 1974.

More:Gordon Lightfoot, 'Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald' singer, dies at 84

With its haunting melody and vivid storytelling, the folk ballad endured as Lightfoot’s personal favorite among the host of songs he composed during a six-decade career. Having grown up in southern Ontario, he had his own attachment to the majesty and mystery of the Great Lakes, and that spirit rang true in "Edmund Fitzgerald."

" Today is a gift... That is why it is called the present."

Posts: 51 | Registered: November 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another great Canadian songwriter gone! His Canadian cowboy songwriter friend Ian Tyson, who helped him early on, passed away a few months ago.

Tyson and Sylvia Fricker sang “Early Morning Rain” on their 63 album which is when I first heard it. I wanted to find out who the songwriter was. I learned to play it on guitar.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

I don't know that there's ever been a more poignant lyric written.

Posts: 20122 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post