SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Video mini-series recommendation: Manhunt on Prime
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video mini-series recommendation: Manhunt on Prime Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
Probably the best police procedural TV or movie I've ever seen. Stars Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) in a serious drama; a true story based on memoirs of an English detective inspector named Colin Sutton.
It's the story of a murder that turns out to be one of serial killings.
It's true-to-life in showing the number of people, hard legwork, and strokes of luck that can be necessary to track down a murderer.
Three episodes 46 minutes each.

Here's a review: Link

quote:
There are any number of times when watching a TV murder mystery — or, if you're watching it on a broadcast network, then it's pretty much every time — that you might long for a lot less sensationalism and titillation. Less gore. Less "I've seen this before in 15 other similarly purple-colored iterations."

The latest British miniseries to do big numbers over there (averaging roughly 8.95 million viewers each of its three nights, bringing it into Bodyguard territory and qualifying as a huge hit) is the ITV-produced Manhunt, which will premiere here Monday on the Acorn streaming service, which specializes in British and international fare.

Manhunt does seems keenly British in the sense that it tries intentionally hard to focus on the less glamorous and more boring and harder realities of actual detective and police work than is often depicted on television. Part of that might have something (maybe a lot) to do with the fact that Manhunt is based on a real serial-killer case that riveted the country and garnered countless tabloid-style headlines. The treatment it needed was decidedly more granular and low-key, and Manhunt pulls that off admirably.

Based on the memoir of Detective Chief Inspector Colin Sutton, who was in charge of the investigation that took place between 2004 and 2006, and created for television by writer Ed Whitmore and Sutton, Manhunt presents a murder that could be connected to at least one other (and, by good police work, eventually even more) and all along the way focuses as much on that grunt work as possible, avoiding bloody flashbacks, brutal depictions of any kind or lurid corpse photos, etc.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I just checked, and this series is on some service called 'acorn TV' (within Amazon Prime). Though it offers a seven day trial, unfortunately that means I am out.

Posts: 7258 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I have Acorn and watched the first part last night. It was excellent.

I'm saving the next two parts for when the GF comes over for our weekly movie night.

Thanks for the heads up, Doc.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on this series and for Acorn. They have some awesome series. I also am a big fan of Death in Paradise.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post